News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is cultural relativism still a thing?

Started by Martinus, January 17, 2015, 02:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I got into a few arguments recently with Polish self-avowed leftists who essentially defended certain practices and laws of muslims countries (such as stoning or hanging people for atheism, homosexuality or being a victim of a rape) by arguing that it is something that exists in the cultural context of these countries and it is inappropriate for the West to meddle in this.

This left me totally baffled.

I thought such views have been completely discredited as morally bankrupt by now.

So here's a question - are these just Poles being stupid and behind the Western trends, or are there still significant voices in the European or American left who think and argue this way?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on January 17, 2015, 03:28:21 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2015, 02:29:19 PMPoles being stupid

Isn't that like snow being white or water being wet?

Yeah but what I am trying to establish is whether in this particular case they are uniquely stupid. :P

Razgovory

I think you might be confusing this with "moral relativism".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on January 17, 2015, 03:34:38 PM

According to online dictionaries, the two concepts used to be separate but are now used interchangeably outside of anthropological studies.

Razgovory

So by the ignorant?  I'm not sure the best way to start a thread about how stupid other people are is begin by confusing one concept with another.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

I've not heard the argument that it is OK to stone adulterers and all that crap.
But I have certainly heard the argument that the west shouldn't meddle as that will just entrench fucked up views and not let them develop sanity themselves.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on January 17, 2015, 03:42:43 PM
So by the ignorant?  I'm not sure the best way to start a thread about how stupid other people are is begin by confusing one concept with another.

Because he isn't a very good troll.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2015, 03:41:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 17, 2015, 03:34:38 PM

According to online dictionaries, the two concepts used to be separate but are now used interchangeably outside of anthropological studies.

Cultural relativism as a methodology in Political Science is not used to defend "certain practices and laws" that are "inappropriate for the West to meddle in".  Your friends are doing it wrong.

Siege

I ain't going to touch this thread with a ten foot pole.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on January 17, 2015, 03:42:43 PM

:yes:

citizen k

Quote from: Martinus on January 17, 2015, 02:29:19 PM
So here's a question - are these just Poles being stupid and behind the Western trends, or are there still significant voices in the European or American left who think and argue this way?

Ben Affleck?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on January 21, 2015, 02:53:33 PM

I suspect he's in the 5-6 1/2 foot range in height. Though his tackling range may be 10 feet.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

I had an Anthropology prof who was a big time cultural relativist.  He pissed off a lot of people in class by defending female circumcision and never backing down.  I want to think he was doing some exercise to "challenge our ethnocentrism" and wasn't necessarily defending the practice, per se.  But if that was what he was doing he never bothered to clue us in.

He also had some flat-out bizarre theories about American culture, was the spitting image of Freud and dressed like some teenage stoner.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on January 21, 2015, 02:53:33 PM

Oh, I don't think Marty is nearly that tall.