Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2015, 03:13:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 02:43:22 PM
What's the appeal of reading Mein Kampf?

I would say any *author* is worth reading at least once.

(Was going to say *book* but that's too generous)

I'm not sure I agree with that. There are plenty of shit authors where there is little utility in reading their works.

At any rate, I'm not judging anyone who wants to read Mein Kampf, I just don't know why someone would want to.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 03:18:00 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2015, 03:13:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 02:43:22 PM
What's the appeal of reading Mein Kampf?

I would say any *author* is worth reading at least once.

(Was going to say *book* but that's too generous)

I'm not sure I agree with that. There are plenty of shit authors where there is little utility in reading their works.

At any rate, I'm not judging anyone who wants to read Mein Kampf, I just don't know why someone would want to.
To understand why this lunatic appealed to so many people in the early stages (20's-30's) . I'm sure there are other books as to why, but why read someone else's interpretation? Why not go to the primary source.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Fair enough. I wonder if you'll really get that straight out the horse's mouth when reading it in the context and time in which you live.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on September 14, 2015, 08:19:53 AM
He's the guy with the "ploughing the sea" quote, right? Seems he was of the same opinion.  ;)

I have not yet encountered that quote.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 03:30:33 PM
Fair enough. I wonder if you'll really get that straight out the horse's mouth when reading it in the context and time in which you live.

Not sure how one can understand fascism in Germany without considering the primary sources.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 02:50:57 PM
What am I suppose to get from that? :hmm:

Mein Kampf gets a solid 3.8 from Amazon customers. A fairly good read.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 03:30:33 PM

Very good point. But maybe it's more a formula, than a one off as to how lunatics like that become so popular. I am talking the early years of his appeal.

I have also read before that he was an atheist, this I find hard to believe just from casual reads of various speeches.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2015, 03:40:07 PM

That doesn't answer my question which was what is the appeal of reading it. ;)

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 03:46:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2015, 03:40:07 PM

That doesn't answer my question which was what is the appeal of reading it. ;)

What's the appeal of reading a good book? OK Philistine.

garbon

The Brain

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2015, 04:00:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 03:57:51 PM
A good book or the good book?

The good book isn't that good.
I think it is fascinating and some of the ones left out even more so.

garbon

The Brain

Quote from: 11B4V on September 14, 2015, 04:02:33 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 14, 2015, 04:00:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2015, 03:57:51 PM
A good book or the good book?

The good book isn't that good.
I think it is fascinating and some of the ones left out even more so.

Nazi fanboi.