News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

This awesome book appears to be awesome:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Restore-Japan-devote-Japanese-soldiers-ebook/dp/B00W4XSNE6/ref=sr_1_115?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1442955438&sr=1-115&keywords=japan+history#reader_B00W4XSNE6

Quote from: Title
Restore Japan, Nippon! Yamato, rise! The sun also rises. I devote these essays to the Japanese soldiers who fought with super human will and power

Quote from: Book descriptionThese essays are for foreigners who want to know about Japan.
The author thinks Japan is a country that can be a positive influence on foreign countries. He believes that spreading the Japanese spirit contributes to world peace. Then what is the spirit?
It comprises courage, sincerity, industry, public service, self-sacrifice, obeying the law and cleanliness.
The presence of Japan itself could be a role model of the people in the world. A strong economy, great technology, universalized sense of beauty, stable society, and a high-leveled morale are Japanese assets.
It is a Japanese mission to bring the Japanese spirit to the world.
And this could bring world peace. The author hopes many people can get the right information about Japan through these essays.
The aim of these essays is to tell people around the world about Japanese civilization. What is Japan? What is the Japanese mission? These essays are compiled with this problem in mind. What is the core of Japan?
In his studies the author has found that the core of Japan is the Imperial House system. Japan has the oldest reining dynasty in the world. There is only one Emperor in the world.
Japan is a country with Shinto deities.
Japan will fascinate the world through her cultural power.
The author thinks the 21st century is the time for us Japanese to get back to our ethnic origins. He truly believes their future is there.
Restore Japan! Yamato, rise! The sun also rises.

* About the author
Taguchi Tetsuyuki, Zushi Ironman, was born April 3, 1954.
He is from Nagasaki City, graduated Nagasaki Kita(North)Senior High School, and received a Bachelor of Arts from Waseda University.
He now works as a government-licensed tour guide (English, Kanagawa EN01269). His life's calling is to be a missionary of Japanese history and culture. He would like to be a grassroots diplomat.
He wants to be good at both liberal and military arts.
He has two black belts, in Judo and Jujutsu (Yagyu Shingan-ryu Taijutsu) plus he has practiced Karate and Aikido.
He loves the ocean. He enjoys kayaking near the Emperor's villa.
His lifetime passion is to be a Haiku Poet, Scholar and Samurai Warrior.

I haven't read it yet.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Did anyone read the Cambridge History of Japan? Any good? Any particular volumes/areas better than others?

jimmy olsen

When I was a teen I read a lot of fiction about stone age hunter gatherers, anything interesting in that genre come out in the last fifteen years? Anything from hard core historical fiction to pulp fantasy with dinosaurs and shamanic magic is fine by me.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Malthus

Reading Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar by Simon Montefiore. Very interesting, I, Claudius-like account of the inner workings of the Soviet system under its worst monster.

Favorite anecdote: during the Great Terror, Soviet high officials anxiously noted who the accused were accused of wanting to assassinate (it was always Stalin, plus a list of other Soviet notables). The reason: being on the list of purported "victims" was an infallible guide to the otherwise-inscruitable workings of Stalinist favoritism. If there was a big show trial on, and you were not on 'the list', you were out of favour ... and, often, soon to be in the dock yourself!

The "balls of brass, brain of air" award goes to the 40 year old guy who attempted to seduce Stalin's daughter, Svetlana, when she was 16 (when Stalin found out, he got 10 years slave labour ... and was damn lucky!).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 05, 2015, 01:17:26 AM
When I was a teen I read a lot of fiction about stone age hunter gatherers, anything interesting in that genre come out in the last fifteen years? Anything from hard core historical fiction to pulp fantasy with dinosaurs and shamanic magic is fine by me.

I guess you've read this series already? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clan_of_the_Cave_Bear (It's the only one I know on that topic)

Edit: this may help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Novels_set_in_prehistory
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on October 06, 2015, 04:59:59 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 05, 2015, 01:17:26 AM

I guess you've read this series already? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clan_of_the_Cave_Bear (It's the only one I know on that topic)

Edit: this may help: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Novels_set_in_prehistory

Yeah, first three/four are pretty good, but it's down hill from there.

Will definitely check out the list.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Been listening to this on Audible during my commute:

Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality
http://www.amazon.com/Our-Mathematical-Universe-Ultimate-Reality/dp/0307744256/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444416522&sr=8-1&keywords=tegmark

It is really, really interesting - both as a pretty good "advanced amateur" level insight into some cutting edge modern physics and cosmology, and as a kind of a personal "my life as a physicist" sort of thing.

Some very interesting science in their - not sure I agree with his conclusions (pretty sure I don't actually, but reserve the right to recognize that I am grossly unqualified to really have an opinion), but the thinking behind it all, and the history of the science is, IMO, incredibly fascinating.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I've never paid much attention to Warhammer, least of all the novels, because the setting is so silly and cranked up to 11ty-11, I don't see how it can work as a setting for a proper story.

Someone on EUOT suggested the Ciaphas Cain books as a good jumping on point, and I picked up the first one as eBook (For the Emperor). I'm in chapter 1, but basically this is Flashman/Blackadder in WH40K, no? (Not complaining - I think this is a way you can make it work.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Anyone can recommend a great book on the history of India? I'm primarily interested in ancient times to say 16th century (I want to read about Indians, not about white folks).

I've never really read about the history of India, and I don't think I'm interested enough for a multi-volume work.

garbon

So as part of my new phone, I get to pick one free book out of 5 for the next 6 months or maybe 12. First choice was Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Was fantasy so hard up in the early 90s that this dreck netted the author such acclaim/monies? So far it reads like a primer in how to write a clunky, ham fisted and ridiculous plot. If I were reading a paperback, I'd have wanted to throw it against the wall when [spoiler]angry villagers are dispersed when they think their penises have been magicked away... [/spoiler]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2015, 02:26:01 PM
So as part of my new phone, I get to pick one free book out of 5 for the next 6 months or maybe 12. First choice was Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Was fantasy so hard up in the early 90s that this dreck netted the author such acclaim/monies? So far it reads like a primer in how to write a clunky, ham fisted and ridiculous plot. If I were reading a paperback, I'd have wanted to throw it against the wall when [spoiler]angry villagers are dispersed when they think their penises have been magicked away... [/spoiler]

Mrs B was into that series (which is odd because she's not a huge fantasy fan in general) so I tried reading it.  Was not good at all.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

I keep turning pages hoping it'll get better and it does not. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2015, 02:26:01 PM

Weren't you an Ayn Rand fan back then?  Goodkind was also a big fan.  When you aim low, you hit low.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Me? I read one Ayn Rand book so I could apply for some free scholarship money. So, the answer would be no. :P

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".