And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Red Storm Rising. Pootie poot put me in the mood.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

I've read Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy and Killing Jesus. All good books and written from the historical perspective, as in KJ it wasn't about religion so much as it was the history of it. Next will be Killing Patton which is another best seller.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on February 11, 2015, 02:01:53 PM
I've read Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy and Killing Jesus. All good books and written from the historical perspective, as in KJ it wasn't about religion so much as it was the history of it. Next will be Killing Patton which is another best seller.

Should I be worried Bill O'Reilly is so interested in how one kills prominent people?

I saw the Killing Patton book and thought that was odd.  Patton died in a car accident.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on February 11, 2015, 02:04:13 PM

Should I be worried Bill O'Reilly is so interested in how one kills prominent people?

I saw the Killing Patton book and thought that was odd.  Patton died in a car accident.

Perhaps it will be about wearing one's seat belt.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

:wacko:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

KRonn

There's some good history in these books, and from what I've heard about Patton there are some ideas/speculation on how Patton was actually killed, part of the back story of the Soviet-Western Allied relationships at that point after the war.

Habbaku

No, there really isn't good history in those books.  They have been pretty well savaged by actual historians.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

KRonn

I've found interesting stuff, like the end of the Civil War and the lead up to Lincoln's assassination. The people and groups that Booth was part of. Same with Kennedy, some behind the scenes stuff and a lot about Oswald's background and such. But these books aren't heavy on the overall history so I may have said that wrong. More like good but limited historical info pertinent to the killers and their target.

crazy canuck

I have now read up to Far Side of the World.  The only thing that book has in common with the movie is that the movie has characters named Aubrey and Maturin and they are on a ship called Surprise.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 18, 2015, 03:20:55 PM
I have now read up to Far Side of the World.  The only thing that book has in common with the movie is that the movie has characters named Aubrey and Maturin and they are on a ship called Surprise.

The movie took elements, plot lines, and lines of dialog from several of the Aubrey/Maturin books, not just Far Side of the World.

They're still one of my all-time favourite book series, and the movie is still a favourite of mine, but they are to be enjoyed on their own merits, and not in comparison to each other.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2015, 03:44:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 18, 2015, 03:20:55 PM

The movie took elements, plot lines, and lines of dialog from several of the Aubrey/Maturin books, not just Far Side of the World.

Ok, its just too bad they didn't take the plot lines and dialog from that particular book.

Admiral Yi

They really should have shot Master and Commander, leaving out the Gibraltar part.  Not a bad scene or slow moment in Master and Commander.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2015, 06:26:36 PM
They really should have shot Master and Commander, leaving out the Gibraltar part.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2015, 06:26:36 PM
They really should have shot Master and Commander, leaving out the Gibraltar part.  Not a bad scene or slow moment in Master and Commander.

I agree.