News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2014, 09:24:59 PM
Just read a review (the second) about Timothy Geitner's book.

How much would youse guys figure the Wall Street bailout cost the US?

I think it is running negative (Feds got back more than they put in) if you don't adjust for risk or opportunity cost.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Queequeg

Quote from: Pedrito on June 03, 2014, 07:57:10 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on June 02, 2014, 12:43:55 PM
In Spanish?
:huh: no. Translated in italian.

L.
I forgot your national background.   :Embarrass:  Pedrito sounded Spanish-y to me. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Pedrito

Quote from: Queequeg on June 03, 2014, 10:43:18 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on June 03, 2014, 07:57:10 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on June 02, 2014, 12:43:55 PM
In Spanish?
:huh: no. Translated in italian.

L.
I forgot your national background.   :Embarrass:  Pedrito sounded Spanish-y to me.
Pedrito IS spanish, but it's simply the name of my first Diablo character  ;)

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 03, 2014, 10:40:06 AM
I think it is running negative (Feds got back more than they put in) if you don't adjust for risk or opportunity cost.

Unca Sam made 166 billion on the deal.

How would your risk and opportunity cost adjustments affect that number?  You seem to be suggesting it would be negative after doing so.

The Minsky Moment

Risk - It's not easily measurable but clearly the Feds took a good deal of risk buying AIG without really knowing exactly what positions it held.  Similar for Fannie and Freddie.  The credit extended to tottering banks was a little less risky but still far from rock solid.

If we assume gross bailout funds committed of somewhere around $3 trillion (I've seen numbers claimed over 10), then the net return is about 5 percent over 4 years.  That is a very poor return given the risk taken.

Of course, this is kind of irrelevant because the commitments of funds weren't done for investment purposes but to forestall catastrophe.  The wisdom of the bailouts IMO rises or falls based on their strength as a policy response to a financial crisis, not a whether the final tally was in the red or the black.  By comparison I think the old S&L resolution ended up with a small net loss (tens of billions) but still was good policy.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 03, 2014, 12:55:40 PM
Risk - It's not easily measurable but clearly the Feds took a good deal of risk buying AIG without really knowing exactly what positions it held.  Similar for Fannie and Freddie.  The credit extended to tottering banks was a little less risky but still far from rock solid.

Which doesn't really address my question of how risk (and opportunity cost) should be factored in.

QuoteIf we assume gross bailout funds committed of somewhere around $3 trillion (I've seen numbers claimed over 10), then the net return is about 5 percent over 4 years.  That is a very poor return given the risk taken.

Eh?  TARP funding was on the order of $600 billion.  Are you including Fed lending?

QuoteOf course, this is kind of irrelevant because the commitments of funds weren't done for investment purposes but to forestall catastrophe.  The wisdom of the bailouts IMO rises or falls based on their strength as a policy response to a financial crisis, not a whether the final tally was in the red or the black.  By comparison I think the old S&L resolution ended up with a small net loss (tens of billions) but still was good policy.

Agreed, but Geitner's purpose in raising the point is to disabuse the public of the common misconception that the US bailed out the banks by handing over a big wad of money.

What percentage of the American public do you figure knows that money got paid back, with interest?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2014, 01:29:54 PM
What percentage of the American public do you figure knows that money got paid back, with interest?

If you want to stress the "with interest" part then you should agree with the rest of Joan's analysis  ;)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2014, 03:03:38 PM
If you want to stress the "with interest" part then you should agree with the rest of Joan's analysis  ;)

Why is that?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2014, 03:20:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2014, 03:03:38 PM

Why is that?

because, as Joan pointed out, it wasnt a particularly good ROI when considering the risk.  So best not to try to make it sound like it was. 

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2014, 06:09:37 PM
because, as Joan pointed out, it wasnt a particularly good ROI when considering the risk.  So best not to try to make it sound like it was.

You use the word "analysis" differently than I do, but that's not a big deal.

I haven't tried to make it sound like a great ROI, and AFAIK neither did Geitner.  I don't know what purpose would be served by doing so.  Lending $600 billion to banks during a financial crisis is not a typical opportunity for private investors, and I certainly don't think Geitner is advocating engineering another meltdown so the US Treasury can profit handsomely from the bailout.

The point of mentioning the $166 billion is to correct the thinking of people who still believe the bailout consisted of handing over--gifting--US taxpayer funds to financial institutions.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2014, 08:37:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 04, 2014, 06:09:37 PM

You use the word "analysis" differently than I do, but that's not a big deal.

I haven't tried to make it sound like a great ROI, and AFAIK neither did Geitner.  I don't know what purpose would be served by doing so.  Lending $600 billion to banks during a financial crisis is not a typical opportunity for private investors, and I certainly don't think Geitner is advocating engineering another meltdown so the US Treasury can profit handsomely from the bailout.

The point of mentioning the $166 billion is to correct the thinking of people who still believe the bailout consisted of handing over--gifting--US taxpayer funds to financial institutions.

Meh, you use words differently much of the time.  I agree.  Not a big deal.

I agree there is not need to dwell on whether the "with interest" part is meaningful because in the context of the risk it wasnt.

Admiral Yi

Then you're not agreeing with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2014, 07:20:11 AM
Quote from: Pedrito on June 02, 2014, 12:32:26 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 17, 2014, 01:41:38 PM
Anyone else read 2666?
I slugged up to two thirds but never managed to finish it, although it seemed to be a good book. The killings part becomes almost unbearable. I'll try again in the future, but right now I need something lighter.

L.

I got about half way through. I liked the part with the professors of German literature, but afterwards it lost me.

Honestly, I think you could skip that.  The part about Archimboldi is fascinating, and I think you get the point about the murders about halfway through the section. 

Finished 2666.  Starting A Place of Greater Safety. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

I'm reading a biography of Henry VII and turned to look at the author bio on the jacket cover. Apparently this first-time author has a PhD in Early Tudor History. I never knew that was possible.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.