News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Which bit?

Also is that the Winter King? If so, let me know what you think. I've been thinking of getting it for a while.

Also does anyone know what George MacDonald Fraser's non-Flashman novels are like?
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

You are reading a book about the Winter King?  Nice.  I was annoyed when 'The Tudors' didn't start with Bosworth Field but with some random day in Henry VIII's life.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2014, 02:28:39 PM
Which bit?

Also is that the Winter King? If so, let me know what you think. I've been thinking of getting it for a while.

Also does anyone know what George MacDonald Fraser's non-Flashman novels are like?

That one could have a degree in that. I felt odd enough when I did a tutorial on Late Tudor History (aka mostly just Elizabeth).

Yes, that's the one. Picked the hardcover up at a used bookstore when I was in SF. Only read + first chapter, so I'll let you know once I've read a bit more. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

His thesis was probably hushed up for national security reasons.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2014, 02:28:39 PM

Yup.

The "McAuslin" series really very funny. Well worth reading. Read together with his autobiography of his war years in Burma, Quartered Safe Out Here, which is also well worth reading.

The "McAuslin" series is a set of short stories, only lightly fictionalized, about his experiences in the army after WW2.

Two I liked that are tangentally tied in with the "Flashman" setting are Black Ajax and Mr. American. Both are very good, though not as compulsively readable as Flashman.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Such a good series in fact that one is compelled to repeat its name twice.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 09, 2014, 03:23:46 PM
Such a good series in fact that one is compelled to repeat its name twice.

Slow news day?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Finished Pacific Crucible: War at Sea in the Pacific, 1941-1942 , by Ian W. Toll.

Decent intro to the subject for the general reader with little previous knowledge. Strong focus on the "human interest" side of things: lots of space devoted to Yamamoto's geisha adventures, King's feelings about his hairline, and apparently if you're in a 1940s warship in the tropics it gets really hot and sweaty. Not so much space devoted to harder history.

If you're a more serious hobby student of the Pacific War the book can safely be ignored.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

If you email Brandon Sanderson and ask nicely he will send you a copy of an unpublished Cosmere novel titled White Sand. :w00t:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

That's his portfolio work tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Waiting on: The Crossing of the Suez by Saad El Shazly to get here.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

I'm reading Lockstep by Karl Schroeder. It's about a galatic empire where there is no faster than light travel.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2014, 08:37:17 PM
The point of mentioning the $166 billion is to correct the thinking of people who still believe the bailout consisted of handing over--gifting--US taxpayer funds to financial institutions.

It's a useful point but the people most committed to the worldview of the bailouts having had a huge net cost are also probably a demographic not likely to buy and read Geithner's book.

No amount of facts is going to sway the Rand Pauline from the world.  If the Fed lost the nation's money, they are evil.  If they made money, they are lying.  And even more evil.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

I was thinking of a slightly different demographic Joan.