And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2014, 11:52:14 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.

They're probably out of print, but you should be able to find them on abebooks.

Malthus

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on April 12, 2014, 11:01:50 PM
:w00t: Addicts Who Survived: An Oral History of Narcotic Use in America Before 1965 by the great drug historian David Courtwright, has arrived.  Addressing the "classic" (i.e. purely punitive) period of American narcotics regulation, from 1923 (when the last public heroin maintenance clinics in NYC and Shreveport, La. closed) to 1965 (when methadone maintenance arrived on the scene). 

A welcome addition to the narcotics shelf, alongside other recent arrivals, Global Histories of Cocaine and Drugs and Stimulants in Iranian History.  I think I'm developing a drug-history addiction. :blush:

Have you ever read The Black Candle? Facinating stuff, one foundation of Canada's anti-drug policy. Written by a very influential woman - the first female judge in the British Empire, a protagonist in the famous "persons" case (a leading Canadian constitutional case that determined that "persons" in a statute included women).

QuoteEmily Murphy (born Emily Gowan Ferguson; 14 March 1868 – 17 October 1933) was a Canadian women's rights activist, jurist, and author. In 1916, she became the first female magistrate in Canada, and in the British Empire. She is best known for her contributions to Canadian feminism, specifically to the question of whether women were "persons" under Canadian law.

Murphy is known as one of the "The Famous Five" (also called "The Valiant Five")[1]—a group of Canadian women's rights activists that also included Henrietta Muir Edwards, Nellie McClung, Louise McKinney and Irene Parlby. In 1927, the women launched the "Persons Case," contending that women could be "qualified persons" eligible to sit in the Senate. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled that they were not. However, upon appeal to the Judicial Committee of the British Privy Council, the court of last resort for Canada at that time, the women won their case.

She was a pioneer of women's rights - on the issue of drugs, however, she was (by modern standards) hilariously racist. Essentially, drugs are bad in large part because non-White races use them to degenerate Whites down to their own mongrel level. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Murphy

https://archive.org/stream/TheBlackCandle/MurphyBlackCandletoronto1922_djvu.txt
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Neil

Quote from: Maladict on April 04, 2014, 08:19:07 AM
And these came in today:
The Safeguard of the Sea: A Naval History of Britain 660-1649
The Command of the Ocean: A Naval History of Britain, 1649-1815
:bowler:

The to-read pile has grown to 46 books :(
I've been waiting for the third one forever.  Those are good books.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2014, 11:25:47 AM
Have you ever read The Black Candle? Facinating stuff, one foundation of Canada's anti-drug policy. Written by a very influential woman - the first female judge in the British Empire, a protagonist in the famous "persons" case (a leading Canadian constitutional case that determined that "persons" in a statute included women).

I haven't read much at all on Canada's drug history, but that looks very interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Newly arrived at The Wolf's Lair:

The Collapse of Rome: Marius, Sulla and the First Civil War

Sertorius and the Struggle for Spain

:w00t:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 17, 2014, 08:49:11 PM

How boring.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

A shame you always root for the villian. ;)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on April 17, 2014, 08:50:22 PM

How boring.

I used to be like you. Everything World War Two. Then  I grew up.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 18, 2014, 06:35:39 AM

How boring.

You used to be stupid?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on April 18, 2014, 06:40:42 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 18, 2014, 06:35:39 AM

How boring.

You used to be stupid?

Hey now, watch it.

The Brain

How gallant! Sir Ed protects fair maiden 11B.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Valmy

She was a pioneer of women's rights - on the issue of drugs, however, she was (by modern standards) hilariously racist. Essentially, drugs are bad in large part because non-White races use them to degenerate Whites down to their own mongrel level. 

Yeah we had some of that in our women's suffrage movement.  I mean black men could vote (in some localities anyway) and they barely qualified as human beings so how outrageous was it that good white women couldn't vote?  Doh.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Valmy on April 18, 2014, 08:20:47 AM

Yeah we had some of that in our women's suffrage movement.  I mean black men could vote (in some localities anyway) and they barely qualified as human beings so how outrageous was it that good white women couldn't vote?  Doh.

Well, there's a whole element of strategic politics in almost any movement, where you try to leverage the prejudices (good or bad) of the powerful in your favor.

BTW, I'm enjoying "The Black Candle" on Gutenberg.  It's surprisingly well-written and thoughtful for an anti-drug tract of the period.  There's an interesting rhetorical thread where she's trying to formulate something distinctively Canadian for drug policy, even though most of the data on drug addiction and the most aggressive polices are coming out of the US.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)