And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: Syt on March 25, 2014, 08:22:57 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 25, 2014, 03:54:48 AM
It's really dense - reammed full of facts and people and quite difficult to follow. I have up after 200 pages but may try it again when I have a lot of spare reading time.

I have to agree. I found the book best when it was discussing the underlying politics and processes of the war, which it does rather extensively The long campaign descriptions are a lot of "Army 1 goes to Place 2, gets cut of by Army 3 who was seeking Army 4 while Army 5 moves to Place 6 shortly after Army 4 left for Place 2 trying to catch Army 1" etc. In short - very confusing and hard to follow.

Still, it's probably the best book you will find about the Thirty Years War.

Oddly enough I found the battle and campaign descriptions to be as enthralling as the politics; for example it contains the best outline of White Mountain that I've seen in any of the books that I've read on the Thirty Years War (most histories tend to go into more detail on this subject around Breitenfeld as if they find the Bohemian campaign and those of the Paladins, Tilly and early Wallenstein to be either too tedious or to complex; whereas I've always found it fascinating the way these early participants seemed to be able to raise armies at the drop of a hat.)

Anyway, I'd heartily recommend the book but it's certainly not for the light reader.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

I really enjoyed Shattered Sword.  I recommend Berkut as a recommender.

Now I'm reading Norman Friedman's US Battleships.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maladict

The Admirals: Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy, and King--The Five-Star Admirals Who Won the War at Sea by Walter R. Borneman.

Decent group bio, I was largely unaware of Leahy and King.

Maladict

And these came in today:
The Safeguard of the Sea: A Naval History of Britain 660-1649
The Command of the Ocean: A Naval History of Britain, 1649-1815
:bowler:

The to-read pile has grown to 46 books :(

Gups

Quote from: Maladict on April 04, 2014, 08:19:07 AM
And these came in today:

Both excellent and The Command of the Ocean may well be my favourite non-fiction book ever.

Currently reading a natutical Danish novel called "We, the Drowned". Half way through and it's very good.

Habbaku

Quote from: Maladict on April 04, 2014, 08:19:07 AM
And these came in today:

Those are both terrific works.  A shame the third will not be out until 2041.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Any recommendations on early-mid 19th century Britain?

QuoteThe Safeguard of the Sea: A Naval History of Britain 660-1649
I was amazed how quickly I read the first one. I've got the second one on my shelf, though I've not read it yet.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Anyone recommend anything on the Vedic religions? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on April 05, 2014, 10:00:07 PM
Anyone recommend anything on the Vedic religions?

There is a recent one that was banned in India.  Could go either way on that.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Is 'The German Genius' any good?

Anyone know any other good books on the German Enlightenment and Romanticism?
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 25, 2014, 07:55:51 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 25, 2014, 12:09:19 AM
Anyone know a good recent book on HIV-AIDS?  I want something that covers the Robert Rayford infection because I find that a gay prostitute died of it in middle America in 1969 really interesting and strange.  And the Band Played On is supposed to be great, though, and it was the primary influence on The Emperor of All Maladies, which was amazing.

That's totally dubious at this point.  He personally denied ever being a hustler -- it was an idea the doctors came up with that took hold, especially after revisiting the file in light of GRID/AIDS.  And I would hardly call the black ghetto of St. Louis in 1969 "middle America," at least in the sense we're familiar with. 

That's true.  The mean center of population in 1969 was like three counties over in Illinois.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Can anyone recommend a good colonial history of the Americas, from exploration to the independence of the colonies? Or something along those lines?

(And yes, I've watched Once Upon a Time ... The Americas  :P )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2014, 03:09:21 AM
Can anyone recommend a good colonial history of the Americas, from exploration to the independence of the colonies? Or something along those lines?

Samuel Eliot Morison's European Discovery of America is very good (exploration and earliest colonies only).

Capetan Mihali

:w00t: Addicts Who Survived: An Oral History of Narcotic Use in America Before 1965 by the great drug historian David Courtwright, has arrived.  Addressing the "classic" (i.e. purely punitive) period of American narcotics regulation, from 1923 (when the last public heroin maintenance clinics in NYC and Shreveport, La. closed) to 1965 (when methadone maintenance arrived on the scene). 

A welcome addition to the narcotics shelf, alongside other recent arrivals, Global Histories of Cocaine and Drugs and Stimulants in Iranian History.  I think I'm developing a drug-history addiction. :blush:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on April 12, 2014, 05:57:15 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 12, 2014, 03:09:21 AM

Samuel Eliot Morison's European Discovery of America is very good (exploration and earliest colonies only).

Thanks, I'll check it out.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.