And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: Savonarola on October 22, 2013, 03:42:06 PM
Kesh Temple Hymn

To think that this is about 5000 years old is amazing to me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maladict

Quote from: Queequeg on November 09, 2013, 04:27:33 PM
Anyone know any great non-Schama books on the Dutch Republic? Looking for politics, religion, economics, science and military innovatioms more than culture. Also good books on Calvinism and associated Protestant movements more generally?

Jonathan Israel's book is the one most frequently mentioned along Schama's.
I haven't read it so can't comment much.

sbr

Quote from: Berkut on November 05, 2013, 08:02:05 PM
Not strictly reading of course, but I've been listening to Dan Carlin's "Hardcore History" podcasts, and specifically his latest:

http://ec.libsyn.com/p/5/e/f/5efbf5156133b619/dchha50_Blueprint_for_Armageddon_I.mp3?d13a76d516d9dec20c3d276ce028ed5089ab1ce3dae902ea1d01c08430d0cd5afcfd&c_id=6343172

Blueprint for Armageddon I

If you have even a passing, casual interest in history and WW1, this is something you should listen to. If you are a serious student of WW1 history, there won't be anything really new here, but he has a great style, and pulls together a lot in a very approachable manner. I would almost compare him to Ambrose, except a lot smarter, a lot less overtly RahRahAmerica. But it is that very easy to follow, approachable way of talking about history while at the same time being extremely engaging an interesting.

I cannot recommend this enough.

I'll have to give this another shot.  I like history podcasts, but I couldn't stand Carlin.  The material was fine but everything from his voice, to presentation, to everything else drove me crazy.

Lots of people like him so I will try again.

Scipio

Quote from: Maladict on November 10, 2013, 12:31:10 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on November 09, 2013, 04:27:33 PM
Anyone know any great non-Schama books on the Dutch Republic? Looking for politics, religion, economics, science and military innovatioms more than culture. Also good books on Calvinism and associated Protestant movements more generally?

Jonathan Israel's book is the one most frequently mentioned along Schama's.
I haven't read it so can't comment much.
John Lothrop Motley, The Dutch Republic, in four volumes, is a great read. A little propagandistic, but it was the first work by a non-Dutch historian on the topic, and it's great stuff.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Finished Svenska kulter (Swedish Cults), a collection of Cthulhu Mythos stories set in Sweden at various times from the 18th century to the present. Pretty cool.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I'm finishing up rereading my Glen Cook books.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Just started The Luminaries, which I am enjoying so far.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Going to pick up Mike Tyson's Undisputed Truth for a change of pace.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Gups

Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2013, 05:03:03 PM

I'm about 300 pages in. Like it a lot.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on November 15, 2013, 07:14:53 AM

QuoteThe book was described as "a dazzling feat of a novel" by The Observer.[4] It is unusual for being organized

... according to astrological principles, so that characters are not only associated with signs of the zodiac, or the sun and moon (the "luminaries" of the title), but interact with each other according to the predetermined movement of the heavens, while each of the novel's 12 parts decreases in length over the course of the book to mimic the moon waning through its lunar cycle.[5]

Yeah, that's a nifty style device;  I tried that with my bail bonds non-fiction, where all the characters interact with each other according to the predetermined movement of SSI and benefits payments, while each of the chapters got shorter to mimic the waning of available Independence Card funds through the month, but it looks like she got it in first, so good for her.

mongers

Quote from: sbr on November 10, 2013, 12:48:44 PM

I'll have to give this another shot.  I like history podcasts, but I couldn't stand Carlin.  The material was fine but everything from his voice, to presentation, to everything else drove me crazy.

Lots of people like him so I will try again.

So it wasn't just me; I gave it a try and found it a bit grating.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 15, 2013, 09:35:36 AM
Quote from: Gups on November 15, 2013, 07:14:53 AM

QuoteThe book was described as "a dazzling feat of a novel" by The Observer.[4] It is unusual for being organized

... according to astrological principles, so that characters are not only associated with signs of the zodiac, or the sun and moon (the "luminaries" of the title), but interact with each other according to the predetermined movement of the heavens, while each of the novel's 12 parts decreases in length over the course of the book to mimic the moon waning through its lunar cycle.[5]

Yeah, that's a nifty style device;  I tried that with my bail bonds non-fiction, where all the characters interact with each other according to the predetermined movement of SSI and benefits payments, while each of the chapters got shorter to mimic the waning of available Independence Card funds through the month, but it looks like she got it in first, so good for her.

:lol:

Still reading through The Luminaries. It's sort of like as if David Mitchell or Italo Calvino were asked to write the script for Deadwood, set it in New Zealand, and told to leave out the cussing.  ;)

I'm really enjoying it.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on November 21, 2013, 01:55:31 PM
I'm really enjoying it.

Added as #179 on my Kindle wishlist.  Plus still another 80+ on my paper wishlist.
Have to do another cull soon . . .
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Mentioned in the SciFi thread that I'm also reading Middlemarch at the minute. I read it for A-Level and it's amazing the difference ten years can make. It's like a totally different book and seems a lot richer and deeper. I'm pausing almost every other page to think about something Eliot writes.

I liked it when I was studying, but I'm absolutely loving it now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 21, 2013, 02:36:39 PM
Mentioned in the SciFi thread that I'm also reading Middlemarch at the minute. I read it for A-Level and it's amazing the difference ten years can make. It's like a totally different book and seems a lot richer and deeper. I'm pausing almost every other page to think about something Eliot writes.

I liked it when I was studying, but I'm absolutely loving it now.

Heh, maybe I'll have a go. I tried to pick it up as a teen and could not get into it.