News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 25, 2013, 05:55:02 PM
Now I don't know how the numbers stacked up in that particular battle, but one thing you have to keep in mind when reading all that blah blah training stuff is that the Prussians outnumbered the French 2-1 overall.

Not at Spicheren. The the other way around for most of the battle. If the French leadership were as half as competent as the Prussians, they would have capitalized on numerous Prussian mistakes made in the open month of the campaign.   

That blah, blah training, organization, mobilization, General Staff, etc had a lot to do with it and not just at Spicheren.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

I recently read three (enormous) books of historical fiction by a Japanese writer, Eiji Yoshikawa:

1. Musashi
2. Taiko: An Epic Novel of War and Glory in Feudal Japan
3. The Heike Story: A Modern Translation of the Classic Tale of Love and War

All three were excellent (though my favorite was Taiko; I found the characters in the Heike Story unlikable). Anyone interested in Shogun would love these - they are the 'real deal' as far as Japanese historical fiction goes. Well writen (even though in translation), and great on conveying the atmosphere of feudal Japan.

Though part of the deal as far as Western readers are concerned is that they have a somewhat alien point of view; the notion, expressed so clearly in Musashi, that one could and should achieve a form of enlightenment by going around killing people (albeit with great artistry) is a bit difficult to accept ...  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Crazy Japanese. The idea that you can Achieve something by amassing Kills... laughably alien to modern Westerners.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Loved Musashi. Great story. I havent gotten around to Taiko yet.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on March 28, 2013, 10:45:18 AM
Crazy Japanese. The idea that you can Achieve something by amassing Kills... laughably alien to modern Westerners.

In the West, personal religious enlightenment isn't generally among the things that can be achieved by ammassing kills, no.  :lol: Salvation and remission of sins, perhaps.

Though perhaps the Jesuits ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

I didnt know Phil Sheridan was an observer on the Prussian side.

http://www.shsu.edu/~his_ncp/Sedan.html

QuotePresident Grant invited me to come to see him at Long Branch before I should sail, and during my brief visit there he asked which army I wished to accompany-the German or the French. I told him the German, for the reason that I thought more could be seen with the successful side, and that the indications pointed to the defeat of the French. My choice evidently pleased him greatly, as he had the utmost contempt for Louis Napoleon and had always denounced him r as a usurper and a charlatan. Before we separated, the President gave me the following letter to the representatives of our government abroad, and with it I not only had no trouble in obtaining permission to go with the Germans, but was specially favored by being invited to accompany the headquarters of the King of Prussia:

"LONG BRANCH, N. J.,

JULY 26, 1870. :

" Lieutenant-General P. H. Sheridan, of the United States Army, is authorized to visit Europe, to return at his own pleasure, unless otherwise ordered. He is commended to the good offices of all representatives of this Government whom he may meet abroad.

"To citizens and representatives of other Governments I introduce General Sheridan as one of the most skilful, brave, and deserving soldiers developed by the great struggle through which the United States Government has just passed. Attention paid him will be duly appreciated by the country he has served so faithfully and efficiently.

U. S. GRANT.

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on March 28, 2013, 10:45:46 AM

Taiko is great. I actually liked it better than Musashi.

It is the *ultimate* Horatio Alger-style rags to riches story - the lead character goes from itinerant needle-seller, to sandal-wiper, to unquestioned overlord of Japan ...  :lol: All apparently true.

11B4V

Quote from: Malthus on March 28, 2013, 10:53:40 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 28, 2013, 10:45:46 AM

Taiko is great. I actually liked it better than Musashi.

It is the *ultimate* Horatio Alger-style rags to riches story - the lead character goes from itinerant needle-seller, to sandal-wiper, to unquestioned overlord of Japan ...  :lol: All apparently true.

After Barry's Franco Prussian War 1&2, I will put it next on the list. Thanks.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on March 28, 2013, 10:33:09 AM
I recently read three (enormous) books of historical fiction by a Japanese writer, Eiji Yoshikawa:

1. Musashi
2. Taiko: An Epic Novel of War and Glory in Feudal Japan
3. The Heike Story: A Modern Translation of the Classic Tale of Love and War

All three were excellent (though my favorite was Taiko; I found the characters in the Heike Story unlikable). Anyone interested in Shogun would love these - they are the 'real deal' as far as Japanese historical fiction goes. Well writen (even though in translation), and great on conveying the atmosphere of feudal Japan.

Though part of the deal as far as Western readers are concerned is that they have a somewhat alien point of view; the notion, expressed so clearly in Musashi, that one could and should achieve a form of enlightenment by going around killing people (albeit with great artistry) is a bit difficult to accept ...  :D

Thanks for the tip. I'll check them out!

Habbaku

Speaking of historical fiction...I'm currently reading, and quite enjoying, Colleen McCullough's The First Man in Rome.  Rome is a happening place.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Scipio

Quote from: Habbaku on March 28, 2013, 07:49:30 PM
Speaking of historical fiction...I'm currently reading, and quite enjoying, Colleen McCullough's The First Man in Rome.  Rome is a happening place.
Be warned- the series takes a serious dump on itself after volume 5.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Habbaku

Quote from: Scipio on March 29, 2013, 05:51:35 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on March 28, 2013, 07:49:30 PM
Be warned- the series takes a serious dump on itself after volume 5.

My interest is only, admittedly, in Gaius Marius and his travails rather than the Civil War itself.  Caesar is, for me, so interesting from an historical perspective that I see little reason to read about him in novel form.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Finished A History Of Ancient Egypt: From The First Farmers To The Great Pyramid, by John Romer. An enjoyable read overall, moves along at a nice pace with bite-sized chapters. What's a bit funny though is the way Romer constantly argues against the Victorians and their ideas about ancient Egypt. How their ideas about states, gods, commerce, conquest etc were wrong when applied to Old Egypt. But Romer's constant comments about the Victorians reveal that he himself is firmly rooted in their frames of reference, which is why he finds it important to discuss how wrong they are. For instance, Romer seems to believe that since Victorians thought that magical thinking was primitive and a bit silly the Egyptians cannot have engaged in magical thinking. Why not instead accept that magical thinking isn't sillier than anything else when it comes to religion and afterlife? This is not uncommon in men of average intelligence: they are completely bound by the shackles they claim so vigorously to shake off.

Also he returns time and again to making the point that we shouldn't overinterpret the existing evidence, yet he himself often state things that, while plausible, cannot be proved by the evidence at hand.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Any of you read Shattered Sword? Comments?

Josephus

So on the recommendation of one or two of you I read World War Z. It was pretty good. Be interesting to see how they turn it into a movie, due to its somewhat unorthodox narrative structure. I guess--based on the preveiws I've seen--they're gonna focus on the American guy, Todd, the battle of Yonkers, the retreat into the mountains, the battle there and the sweep back east, only paying lip service to the rest of the world.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011