News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 06, 2010, 07:51:19 PM
Also, I'm looking for a good, interesting and not difficult to read history book that I can buy at Amazon's Kindle store. Suggestions are welcome. I'm not picky about what history, as long as it's a "page turner".
Flashman.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on April 05, 2010, 01:33:06 PM
Introducing Anne to a hotter, younger and less bitchy (and less whig-y) relation wasn't a good move on Sarah's part.  :lol:

Indeed, indeed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Yann Martel's Beatrice and Virgil.

Henry is a writer who plans on writing two books on the Holocaust. One, an essay on the Holocaust, specifically about Holocaust literature and how it's always so literal; and  the other  a piece of fiction, with the Holocaust as allegory. He plans on publsihing oth together as a flip book, where the essay is on one side, and flip it over, the story is on the other side. No front, no back.

His publishers flip. It isn't marketable. It's a silly idea. forget about it.

Depressed, he decides to move with his wife to another, nameless European city, and get away from it all. There, he meets a taxidermist who is writing a play. The play is about two animals, a donkey named Beatrice and a monkey named Virgil. In this play, the two animals wax philosophically about a terrible event they call The Horrors. More specifically they talk about how to talk about it once it's all over. and they talk about pears and bananas.

Bit by bit, as the metaphorical banana peel falls, the writer, Henry begins to understand what the play is really about and slowly, maybe too late, begins to understand the mystery behind the taxidermist and the purpose behind the play.

Or something like that. It's really bizarre. Interviwing the author tomorrow. Not sure how that's gonna go.

That said...I really recommend this book :hmm:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Kleves

Alright, Peter the Great is added to the list. Now I need something that I can, thematically, order with it.

Has anyone read Trevor Royle's Crimea?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

garbon

Started The House of Mirth recently. Much better than Age of Innocence so far.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

Do you guys read anything good? :ph34r:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Finished The House of Mirth. Wharton has been redeemed for me. :)

Josephus

Reading Guy Gavriel Kay's latest, Under Heaven. Not my cup of tea, normally, though I liked Ysobel, his last one.

This one is a fantasy novel takes place in 8th century china. I think that alone will give some of you hard ons.
Civis Romanus Sum

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 07, 2010, 12:30:40 PM
The Safeguard of the Seas, N.A.M. Rodgers' first volume of his three volume history of the navy.  Very good.
I've been waiting for volume three for years now.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 09, 2010, 07:45:00 PM
Now even the Federated Suns are tainted.  :lol:
They always have been, even before Tim.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Kleves on April 06, 2010, 06:33:12 PM
Has anyone read Massie's Peter the Great? If so, is it any good? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for a good book on the Great Northern War or Russia during that time period?
It's excellent.

The Brain

Quote from: Kleves on April 06, 2010, 06:33:12 PM
Has anyone read Massie's Peter the Great? If so, is it any good? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for a good book on the Great Northern War or Russia during that time period?

Massie's Peter the Great is enjoyable.

A very good book on among other things Russia and the GNW is Robert Frost's The Northern Wars 1558-1721. A little gem.

Ragnhild Hatton's Charles XII of Sweden remains the best Charles XII bio which by necessity deals A LOT with the GNW.

Peter Englund's Poltava/The Battle that shook Europe is very enjoyable military history. It describes the Russian campaign and the battle of Poltava, but from the Swedish perspective.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on April 09, 2010, 06:10:44 PM
This one is a fantasy novel takes place in 8th century china. I think that alone will give some of you hard ons.

Psellus isn't into ancient China yet.

Kleves

Quote from: The Brain on April 10, 2010, 01:22:03 AM
A very good book on among other things Russia and the GNW is Robert Frost's The Northern Wars 1558-1721. A little gem.

Ragnhild Hatton's Charles XII of Sweden remains the best Charles XII bio which by necessity deals A LOT with the GNW.

Peter Englund's Poltava/The Battle that shook Europe is very enjoyable military history. It describes the Russian campaign and the battle of Poltava, but from the Swedish perspective.
Awesome. Many thanks. :thumbsup:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Malthus

Just finished reading Every Man Dies Alone by Hans Fallada, only recently translated into English; a drama about a couple living in wartime Nazi Germany who, inspired by the death of their son in battle, engage in a campaign of dropping post-cards critical of the regime around Berlin (inspired by a true story, and written immediately after the war by a German writer who survived incarceration in a Nazi insane asylum - and who died almost immediately after writing the novel, in fact before it was published).

I was initially kinda meh about it, but as I read more of it I found it increasingly gripping, and moving.

I don't think I've ever read a novel that made me sadder for the authour. It is obvious that he loathed the Nazi regime with every fibre of his being, and that he above all respected the sort of hopeless, quiet dignity and courage that his heroes in his novel display - willingly dying rather than be compromised by evil. A courage that, quite obviously, he personally did not display ... 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius