News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I heard the author interviewed on the latest Talking Politics podcast - she was born in Stalinist Albania and at, I think the age of 12, lived through the liberalization of the country.  She has a lot of interesting things to say about the pros and cons of both.  Really looking forward to this.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/320/320869/free/9780241481851.html

Sheilbh

Yeah the book sounds fascinating.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Started on Bismarck: A Life, by Steinberg. I haven't read any details about Bismarck before, and this seems to be a decent modern biography. Some weirdness though. In the first chapter the author stans hard for Frederick the Great, but doesn't really explain why, so that is kinda left hanging in the air. A bit later he mentions "Adolph Hitler". What is up with that? From time to time you come across this even by authors who should know what Hitler was called. Is it some kind of code for something? Hmm, have I asked this before? Don't remember.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Eddie Teach

It's a common transliteration.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on November 02, 2021, 02:32:37 PM
It's a common transliteration.

Ah yes, Phranz Pherdinand was assassinated in Sarajevo.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Interesting sounding new one volume book on WW2 by Richard Overy - review by Rana Mitter:
https://thecritic.co.uk/issues/october-2021/truly-global-view-of-world-war-ii/

Sounds potentially as interesting in positioning it in the global context as the last gasps of empires as Westad's history of the Cold War as not so cold.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Based on the review it sounds like a medium-interesting essay padded to book length.

But I'll be interested to hear what you thinik.

Jacob

Can anyone recommend good survey works on pre-colonial Africa, pre-Muslim Persia, and pre-colonial Indochina?

Berkut

Just got Dan Jones new book, Powers and Thrones: A New History of the Middle Ages.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2021, 09:48:15 PM
Just got Dan Jones new book, Powers and Thrones: A New History of the Middle Ages.

Starting reading it today too.  Meant to just read a few pages, but got hooked.  Had to force myself back to the things I needed to get done today.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on November 10, 2021, 09:46:17 PM
Can anyone recommend good survey works on pre-colonial Africa, pre-Muslim Persia, and pre-colonial Indochina?
Haven't read it yet but I have A Fistful of Shells: West Africa From the Rise of the Slave Trade to the Age of Revolution on the shelf. I suppose it depends on how you see what' pre-colonial but I undertand it's on the early modern period so before the 19th century colonies - I think Oex also said it was good.

Haven't read or bought it but there's also The Golden Rhinoceros about the African middle ages - I saw them reviewed together.

In terms of Persia - again I haven't read or bought it - but I've read good things about Iran: A Modern History. It covers imperialist meddling and modern Iran, but I think it also basically starts in the early modern so I think it's basically 1500 (and the rise of the Safavids) up to the modern day.

Edit: No idea on Indochina - I imagine there's definitely some good options on the Khmer empire.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 11, 2021, 08:13:19 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 10, 2021, 09:48:15 PM

Starting reading it today too.  Meant to just read a few pages, but got hooked.  Had to force myself back to the things I needed to get done today.

What sets it apart from the regular run of the mill history of the Middle Ages?