News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Ah, misread that. That's what you get for reading untranslated texts.

mongers

Warning:

I have a book and I'm not afraid to use it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

When Ed's feeling exotic, he switches his keyboard to English (UK).  Colours!

And then he plays Wham! UK.  Because he's a big homo.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 28, 2016, 10:41:08 PM
When Ed's feeling exotic, he switches his keyboard to English (UK).  Colours!

And then he plays Wham! UK.  Because he's a big homo.

:lol:

Culture Club, you fag.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on November 28, 2016, 04:03:57 PM
Ah, misread that. That's what you get for reading untranslated texts.

Okay, so I just encountered this in a recently written fiction book set in London in the 30s. The two french characters switched to French for an aside with no translation. Highly unnecessary though I was able to largely guess what had been said from the context. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2016, 12:39:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 28, 2016, 08:16:53 AMI don't find it immersive as I've no idea what it is say otherwise...

It serves to illustrate their overall Francophile aristocratic customs - somewhat at odds with the revolution and Napoleon.

Imagine if elite circles in a country were using English as conversational language, influenced by and adoring the predominant culture of the time and then were to face that culture come under the sway of a man who stands against everything they believe in.

We really need a Trump smile for posts like this.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Sanderson has finished the first draft of Oathbringer, 3rd book in the Stormlight Archives! But that release date. :bleeding:

https://twitter.com/BrandSanderson/status/807118144322080768

QuoteThat's a wrap, folks. Oathbringer is done at 461,223 words. Still much work to do, but we have a first draft. November 2017 release date.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 15, 2016, 07:12:54 AM
Sanderson has finished the first draft of Oathbringer, 3rd book in the Stormlight Archives! But that release date. :bleeding:

What about it? I bet you think once shooting on a film is done it is ready to release as well :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Habbaku

Still a better release date than The Winds of Winter.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on December 15, 2016, 11:32:38 AM

SOMEDAY!!11

Hey Sanderson's entire career has taken place after Storm of Swords was published. And he has done it all while also teaching at BYU. Huh.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

It doesn't take long to put words together if you don't care what they say.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2016, 11:36:45 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on December 15, 2016, 11:32:38 AM

SOMEDAY!!11

Hey Sanderson's entire career has taken place after Storm of Swords was published. And he has done it all while also teaching at BYU. Huh.

And he goes on tour all the time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on December 15, 2016, 10:48:49 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 15, 2016, 07:12:54 AM

What about it? I bet you think once shooting on a film is done it is ready to release as well :lol:

I'm not saying it isn't warrented, just that it causes me pain. The Stormlight Archives are by far the best thing he's written.

1 Karma Chameleon point