News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2023, 10:31:40 AMVikingatidens människooffer (Viking Age Human Sacrifice), by Wikström af Edholm. I don't ususally mention Swedish-language books here, but since it's part of my current Dark Ages theme I thought I would mention this one. Modern overview of the evidence regarding human sacrifice in the Viking Age, and as expected written sources, both Scandinavian and non-Scandinavian, and archaeology all suggest that it was fairly common in Viking society, though somewhat extravagant as humans were expensive. Two common types were hanging combined with spearing (likely inspired by/related to Odin myths) and chopping into pieces including slashing off the top of the skull (likely inspired by/related to the Ymir myth). In the 20th century some historians were in denial about Viking human sacrifice, just like they were about Viking warrior women, but hopefully that era is behind us.

In denial that they did exist, or in denial that they didn't exist?

I know nothing of the topic, but could see it going either way.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2023, 11:04:10 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 08, 2023, 10:31:40 AMVikingatidens människooffer (Viking Age Human Sacrifice), by Wikström af Edholm. I don't ususally mention Swedish-language books here, but since it's part of my current Dark Ages theme I thought I would mention this one. Modern overview of the evidence regarding human sacrifice in the Viking Age, and as expected written sources, both Scandinavian and non-Scandinavian, and archaeology all suggest that it was fairly common in Viking society, though somewhat extravagant as humans were expensive. Two common types were hanging combined with spearing (likely inspired by/related to Odin myths) and chopping into pieces including slashing off the top of the skull (likely inspired by/related to the Ymir myth). In the 20th century some historians were in denial about Viking human sacrifice, just like they were about Viking warrior women, but hopefully that era is behind us.

In denial that they did exist, or in denial that they didn't exist?

I know nothing of the topic, but could see it going either way.

They refused to believe that they existed. For human sacrfice: "that was just Christians slandering pagans", for women warriors: "ew powerful independent women, as if".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Legbiter

Finally reading Blood Meridian. The transition between scalping Apaches, then peaceful Indians and finally just regular Mexicans is really well done. Judge Holden is a little bit too on the nose. This story will not have any sort of "happy ending". Just pure Norse Saga Örlög/Fate...
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on September 08, 2023, 04:48:44 PMFinally reading Blood Meridian. The transition between scalping Apaches, then peaceful Indians and finally just regular Mexicans is really well done. Judge Holden is a little bit too on the nose. This story will not have any sort of "happy ending". Just pure Norse Saga Örlög/Fate...
I had to stop that one.  It's a little too much.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Gups

Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2023, 05:45:53 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 08, 2023, 04:48:44 PMFinally reading Blood Meridian. The transition between scalping Apaches, then peaceful Indians and finally just regular Mexicans is really well done. Judge Holden is a little bit too on the nose. This story will not have any sort of "happy ending". Just pure Norse Saga Örlög/Fate...
I had to stop that one.  It's a little too much.

I got through it but only just. Just started Suttree which is also tough so far but only 20 pages in

mongers

Is Piketty's 'Capital in the Twenty-First Century' worth a read or shall I go with the other book to hand, Geezer Butler's autiobiography? :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Worth a read. We can skip all the charts in the math and just read his analysis and trust that he's got the math math right

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 20, 2023, 09:12:33 AMWorth a read. We can skip all the charts in the math and just read his analysis and trust that he's got the math math right

Yes I had an initial skim and though a bit along those lines. :cheers:

Helpfully the previous owner had gone through it underlining many of the, I assume key passages. :D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on September 20, 2023, 06:15:45 AMIs Piketty's 'Capital in the Twenty-First Century' worth a read or shall I go with the other book to hand, Geezer Butler's autiobiography? :hmm:

I liked it but others' mileage may vary.  It's not a light summer read but there are worse in the genre.  Not as big a fan of the sequel which lacked focus.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 05, 2023, 07:45:31 AMI liked the first books of Cornwell's Sharpe series and his Warlord Chronicles, but I'd be interested in your opinion of how well his writing stands up in later books (say, past book 4).  It seemed to me that the later Sharpe books were being written just for the money.
I am on book 7 now.  It is still well written, but there is definitely a repeat of previous stories there.  It's told differently, of course, but it amounts to the same basic tale, really.  I feel it's a bit of lazy writing from the author here.  He needed an excuse to move his hero from one part of England to the other and he repeated a previous theme he used, in a very, very similar setting to one of his previous books (#4, IIRC).

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Following the Dragonlance discussion recently - Humblebundle has a collection of 40+ Shadowrun Legends books (which is what they call the novels from the 90s, kinda like Star Wars Legends, I guess :P ).

If anyone feels nostalgic for those books, it's under €17 for the entire bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/shadowrun-legends-catalyst-game-labs-books
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

If you are not nostalgic for it?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

No idea. I read some books while in military hospital almost 30 years ago and remember little of their quality. (I was fascinated by the setting, but had no one to play with; a guy I shared the hospital room with was a fan though and had some books with him).

(Side note: staying in a hospital in the 90s, before mobile internet/smartphones was HELL. Except portable music players (walkman, discman) and books, the best you could hope for was TV in your room for entertainment, or maybe board games/cards. The military hospital didn't have a TV per room by default, you had to rent a tiny one for 6 German Marks/day, and then you only had (bad) aerial reception. :bleeding: )
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on September 26, 2023, 12:56:36 AMNo idea. I read some books while in military hospital almost 30 years ago and remember little of their quality. (I was fascinated by the setting, but had no one to play with; a guy I shared the hospital room with was a fan though and had some books with him).

Like Neuromancer, but with elves.  If I ever ran a Shadowrun campaign I'd crib the plot from Lord of the Rings and make Saruman and Sauron thinly disguised caricatures of Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg respectively (and the characters would have to destroy the METAVERSE! itself, which is the source of Zuck's power.) 

You come upon a broad art deco building in beige stone made to resemble a Mayan temple.  An enormous glowing X stands atop one corner.  This is the mighty fortress of iXengard.

Quote(Side note: staying in a hospital in the 90s, before mobile internet/smartphones was HELL. Except portable music players (walkman, discman) and books, the best you could hope for was TV in your room for entertainment, or maybe board games/cards. The military hospital didn't have a TV per room by default, you had to rent a tiny one for 6 German Marks/day, and then you only had (bad) aerial reception. :bleeding: )

It's too bad you don't have children; you could tell them how easy they have it these days.  :P
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Quote from: Savonarola on September 28, 2023, 04:10:08 PMIt's too bad you don't have children; you could tell them how easy they have it these days.  :P

I do that occasionally with my coworkers in their early 20s. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould