News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

River Kings: The Vikings from Scandinavia to the Silk Roads, by Jarman. A nice accessible overview of the latest archaeological results and what we know of the Viking trade network from the Middle East to the British Isles. Probably extra enlightening if you've only read about Vikings in a British Isles context.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on August 31, 2023, 02:32:09 PMRiver Kings: The Vikings from Scandinavia to the Silk Roads, by Jarman. A nice accessible overview of the latest archaeological results and what we know of the Viking trade network from the Middle East to the British Isles. Probably extra enlightening if you've only read about Vikings in a British Isles context.

I also thought it was excellent.

Eddie Teach

I've been revisiting Dune. I really enjoy the world building, but the inner monologues are way overdone. Another thing, all of the film adaptations seem to dilute Jessica's role quite a bit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Began reading the Saxon stories by Bernard Cromwell, the books that inspired the tv show The Last Kingdom.

For the few quiet moments I can get to myself, I can't leave my tablet as I am engulfed in the stories.

I knew it would obviously be very different from the tv show, they do not have a budget constraint, they can go where they please, have as many characters as they please, fight as many battles as they want, and obviously, this being about Vikings, be on a ship much more often than the tv show could have ever afforded.

Now, I'll have to rewatch that series once I finish the books. :)

Anyone who enjoyed the show and hasn't read the books should do so.

The politics of the time are similarly described as in the show, but the duality/conflict of Uthred, a Saxon with mixed allegiance, thorn between his friendships/love of Saxons and Vikings is much more detailed than on tv.

Some characters have bigger roles, some have much smaller roles.  It's so different that it's like revisiting an entire new set of stories in the same universe. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

I liked the first books of Cornwell's Sharpe series and his Warlord Chronicles, but I'd be interested in your opinion of how well his writing stands up in later books (say, past book 4).  It seemed to me that the later Sharpe books were being written just for the money.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

The issue with the later books is that he repeats the same formula.

It's a good formula but after about six books, it gets less interesting to read.

Jacob

I'm interested in what you think the formula is?

I read the first Sharpe and the first Uthred books, and they struck me as having the same formula. No harm in that - I like a number of formulas - but this one wasn't for me.

The key bits I recall of the formula is mostly about the Antagonist:

- Antagonist dislikes the protagonist even before events get going.
- The Antagonist is internal to the protagonists group, and has some standing. They're potentially capable of turning decent allies and friends of the protagonist against him by means of lies and manipulation (or outright hostile acts that violate the group's code, but are hidden from view).
- Antagonist gets plot going by intending to carry out gross sexual assault, but the protagonist stops it.
- This causes the Antagonist to really hate the protagonist.
- At the end of the first book, the Protagonist foils the Antagonist's plans but the Antagonist is not exposed. You know the Antagonist will be back for more rounds very soon.

... what else did you see in the way of formula? And do you agree that the formula was very similar across Uthred and Sharpe?

... and again, nothing against formulas. Some of my favourite reading includes formulas. I really wanted to like both Sharpe and Uthred, but just didn't continue with them.

crazy canuck

Yes, I think that is accurate with a couple of additions.  The conflict does not always arise because of a sexual assault - although that is a common theme.  But it is always a result of the antagonist's moral turpitude and the protagonist's superior moral compass. The conflict is always resolved in a way that comes close to pulling the mask of deception off the antagonist but not quite. And you are right, in the end, there is always the threat that the antagonist will strike back.

Also, the protagonist is not part of the world that is created. Sharpe and Uhtred are extraordinary in every way.  Part of what makes them extraordinary is they do not belong within the cultural or social context in which they find themselves.

One of things I liked about O'Brian's books is that the characters fit into the world and that is a quality missing in the Cornwell books.

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 05, 2023, 12:11:08 PMAlso, the protagonist is not part of the world that is created. Sharpe and Uhtred are extraordinary in every way.  Part of what makes them extraordinary is they do not belong within the cultural or social context in which they find themselves.

One of things I liked about O'Brian's books is that the characters fit into the world and that is a quality missing in the Cornwell books.

That's a really good point about Cornwell's heroes, though I didn't pin that down myself until you pointed it out.  They are modern men living in a non-modern world.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on September 05, 2023, 07:45:31 AMI liked the first books of Cornwell's Sharpe series and his Warlord Chronicles, but I'd be interested in your opinion of how well his writing stands up in later books (say, past book 4).  It seemed to me that the later Sharpe books were being written just for the money.
I just finished the 5th novel yesterday night.

It is similar to the tv series, albeit larger in scope.  So far, I have not felt it too repetitive, but yes Uthred is not a Christian and that creates frictions with Alfred and his advisers.

Is it a repetition or a central theme to the story,  I can not say.  I have books 1-6 on my tablet right now.  I began my reading earlier this summer, as time permits.

Like I said, I find the show to he a faithful adaptation of the books so far, within their budget constraints.  They probably did a better job translating this author's vision to tv than Amaxon did with the Rings of Power. ;)

But i'll be digging into that 6th book and tell you more later. :)

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

The White Ship: Conquest, Anarchy and the Wrecking of Henry I's Dream, by Spencer. Nice overview of Anglo-Norman history from the Conqueror to the Anarchy, with the White Ship disaster as a pivotal event. The White Ship has always kind of stood out even 900 years later, I suppose it's the young and powerful partying crowd, the calm autumn night, and the completely avoidable loss of the ship.

Jacob

Just finished Heimskringla: An Interpretation by Birgit Sawyer - an analysis of Snorri Sturluson saga about Norwegian kings and related context.

Rereading C.S. Forester's Hornblower series. It's been long enough that I don't remember any of it, and I'm really enjoying myself.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on September 05, 2023, 10:20:05 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 05, 2023, 07:45:31 AMI liked the first books of Cornwell's Sharpe series and his Warlord Chronicles, but I'd be interested in your opinion of how well his writing stands up in later books (say, past book 4).  It seemed to me that the later Sharpe books were being written just for the money.
I just finished the 5th novel yesterday night.

It is similar to the tv series, albeit larger in scope.  So far, I have not felt it too repetitive, but yes Uthred is not a Christian and that creates frictions with Alfred and his advisers.

Is it a repetition or a central theme to the story,  I can not say.  I have books 1-6 on my tablet right now.  I began my reading earlier this summer, as time permits.

Like I said, I find the show to he a faithful adaptation of the books so far, within their budget constraints.  They probably did a better job translating this author's vision to tv than Amaxon did with the Rings of Power. ;)

But i'll be digging into that 6th book and tell you more later. :)

Repetition is a definite problem. Sharpe books are best read with years between them.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Vikingatidens människooffer (Viking Age Human Sacrifice), by Wikström af Edholm. I don't ususally mention Swedish-language books here, but since it's part of my current Dark Ages theme I thought I would mention this one. Modern overview of the evidence regarding human sacrifice in the Viking Age, and as expected written sources, both Scandinavian and non-Scandinavian, and archaeology all suggest that it was fairly common in Viking society, though somewhat extravagant as humans were expensive. Two common types were hanging combined with spearing (likely inspired by/related to Odin myths) and chopping into pieces including slashing off the top of the skull (likely inspired by/related to the Ymir myth). In the 20th century some historians were in denial about Viking human sacrifice, just like they were about Viking warrior women, but hopefully that era is behind us.

barkdreg

Last day of a Malazan series humble bundle. Good value for money.