And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2021, 10:20:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 13, 2021, 04:25:29 PM
I've been plodding through Brandon Sanderson's The Final Empire. Man his writing style is... rough.

I skipped massive chunks of his books finishing off the Wheel of Time series.  One entire book was about just one battle.  As you say, rough going (and for a crap finish, at that, though that was probably Jordan's fault).
I haven't finished the Wheel of Time series. I really liked the first few books, probably read into about book five. But stopped and haven't gotten back into the series for a while now.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2021, 10:52:07 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 16, 2021, 07:17:11 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2021, 07:21:43 PM
I generally find Sanderson in the pretty decent category. What he lacks in quality he makes up for in volume.

Is this joke?  :hmm:

Why would it be a joke? Being able to consistently produce is a nice quality for an author, especially one who you can generally expect to be a fun read. It is not like he is publishing academic tomes or something.

If he's a fun read, then he's not lacking in quality.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

As someone who has taught elementary school in Asia, I found this very authentic.

https://www.marycagle.com/letsspeakenglish/prologue-1-off-we-go
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

I am quite a fan of the Stormliggt archive series. Not the depth of characters of which there is very little, but the world building and that the story is not telegraphed.

Was Mistborn where the main protagonist was this teenage girl? I kind of liked the first book but the second seemed to go all in on the teenage girl angst angle and I gave up.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on March 23, 2021, 03:14:42 AM
Was Mistborn where the main protagonist was this teenage girl? I kind of liked the first book but the second seemed to go all in on the teenage girl angst angle and I gave up.

Yes, where as a street urchin, she has been abused her whole life and is wary of strangers (even the rest of the protagonists) but as soon as she has some banter with a nobleman at a party (supposedly her enemy), she starts falling in love. Everytime she goes to a ball at first she has a few paragraphs where she is paralyzed about whether the nobility know she is a fake but then remembers they just see her fictional persona not her but where is the dividing line between her persona and herself. Then in approximately 6 months or so of the good life, she opines about how bored she is when she can't go to a ball but thinks well things could be worse and as a reader you're like well yes, you knowing it could be fucking worse, your whole life until recently was worse than boredom. Then as we whip toward the conclusion, though she knows the noble she loves is nothing more than a [spoiler]dilettante (and we even get a POV chapter for him showing how naive he is), she ensures no one kills him and he is crowned king with her narrating that he'll be a good king. Umm, why?[/spoiler]

And that's not even touching on Kelsier's plotline...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Yeah, still, I would recommend the Stormlight series. There are weaker parts for sure and the characters are kind of paper thin, but the word building is really cool, the confusing /seemingly random things at the start all fall into place eventually. Plus there are twists and such. The good parts well worth going through the weaker ones. Latest one was book 5 in November, once I discovered it was out I read through it very quickly.

Agelastus

Quote from: Tamas on March 23, 2021, 11:14:45 AM
Yeah, still, I would recommend the Stormlight series. There are weaker parts for sure and the characters are kind of paper thin, but the word building is really cool, the confusing /seemingly random things at the start all fall into place eventually. Plus there are twists and such. The good parts well worth going through the weaker ones. Latest one was book 5 in November, once I discovered it was out I read through it very quickly.

Book 4 was released last November; I had had it on pre-order for months. Sadly no release date yet for book 5, although I think he takes between 2 and 2.5 years per release as he is writing a large number of other series.

Although there are technically six books/releases - two novellas have been released, one takes place between books 2 and 3, and one that occurs between books 3 and 4.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

crazy canuck

I liked book 1 of Stormlight.  I picked up book 2 sometime last year and found that I had no idea what was going on in the opening two chapters so just put it down and haven't picked it back up. 

Josephus

Highly recommend Midnight in Chernobyl. Excellent rundown of what happened that fateful day and the following months.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 23, 2021, 03:01:48 AM
As someone who has taught elementary school in Asia, I found this very authentic.

Aren't you qualified to teach in US?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Agelastus on March 24, 2021, 01:04:38 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 23, 2021, 11:14:45 AM
Book 4 was released last November; I had had it on pre-order for months. Sadly no release date yet for book 5, although I think he takes between 2 and 2.5 years per release as he is writing a large number of other series.

Although there are technically six books/releases - two novellas have been released, one takes place between books 2 and 3, and one that occurs between books 3 and 4.
Two novellas? I read the one about Lift, What's the other one about? 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 25, 2021, 01:16:51 PM

Yes, to teach middle and high school social studies in RI and any state that accepts that certification.

I have taught at a middle school, a high school, an elementary school, a middle school and now a University in Korea.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2021, 09:54:02 PM
Two novellas? I read the one about Lift, What's the other one about?

Well, too quote Amazon as I am a little lazy -

QuoteWhen a ghost ship is discovered, its crew presumed dead after trying to reach the storm-shrouded island Akinah, Navani Kholin must send an expedition to make sure the island hasn't fallen into enemy hands. Knights Radiant who fly too near find their Stormlight suddenly drained, so the voyage must be by sea.

Shipowner Rysn Ftori lost the use of her legs but gained the companionship of Chiri-Chiri, a Stormlight-ingesting winged larkin, a species once thought extinct. Now Rysn's pet is ill, and any hope for Chiri-Chiri's recovery can be found only at the ancestral home of the larkin: Akinah. With the help of Lopen, the formerly one-armed Windrunner, Rysn must accept Navani's quest and sail into the perilous storm from which no one has returned alive. If the crew cannot uncover the secrets of the hidden island city before the wrath of its ancient guardians falls upon them, the fate of Roshar and the entire Cosmere hangs in the balance.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

Does anyone know any books about extinct North American Pleistocene?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 25, 2021, 09:56:31 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 25, 2021, 01:16:51 PM

Yes, to teach middle and high school social studies in RI and any state that accepts that certification.

I have taught at a middle school, a high school, an elementary school, a middle school and now a University in Korea.

Very nice, that's a great career you have. I remember when we were all a lot younger and several of us met up at the King Richard's Fare. Caliga and his wife were there with you and me. That Fare is a good time!  :)