News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: mongers on May 20, 2021, 08:29:12 PM
Couple of weeks ago whilst reading an archaeology book I came across a word I'd not seem before, palimpsest.  :blush:

I mention this because today I came across it for now the 2nd time in my life, on this occasion in another archaeology book.

Maybe the word is like London buses?  :bowler:

The top deck isn't typically built onto an older bus, though  :P

Syt

Reading Nicholas Stargardt's The German War, about how German society and people experienced and were affected by WW2, from soldiers to civilians, using many war time letters and diaries.

Turns out the Nazis had to deal with NIMBYism, too:

The passage below about Thuringia is interesting. Today it's home to the most radical right wing of the AfD.

Overall a good book so far, though some German words don't seem to translate well into English, e.g. Volksgemeinschaft into National Community. In German, Volk is closer to the people and more associated to the actual people of the country (See also the "Wir sind das Volk" (we are the people) and "Wir sind ein Volk" (we are one people) chants of GDR protesters in 1989), whereas nation is more abstract and - at least in my perception - far less emotionally charged. Though I also see how "people's community" feels clumsier.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Seems like the book should leave those terms untranslated and explain them instead. I much prefer that way of dealing with it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I agree, though I can tolerate it in this case as I know the German words. And I understand that for English readers it will be easier to parse Reich Security Main Office than Reichssicherheitshauptamt. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Maybe in brackets?

I agree with explaining any nuance in the original meaning of a word, but if you don't know a language I think it's quite difficult to remember untranslated names of institutions - I have the same issue if there's too many acronyms :blush: If it's translated, possibly with brackets, you are more likely to have the gist of what the Reich Security Main Office does even though it's not been mentioned for 150 pages.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

I often read books on for instance Japanese history that are full of untranslated (but explained) terms. Translated terms would feel like a wall between me and the subject matter.

NB obviosuly in those cases where there is a good term in English there is no need to leave it untranslated.

Syt

Agreed. But there's also other words difficult to relay. E.g. the armed female soldiers of the Red Army were often referred to as "Flintenweiber." The translation"gun-women" is technically correct, but it doesn't capture that Flinte as a slang term for a long gun, and Weib is a derogatory term for women.

I'd be curious to see the German translation of this book, but the main question there would be if they would use the original materials for the quotes from letters, speeches, etc., or if they'd translate the English translations back into German (as I've seen before).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2021, 08:26:39 AM
I often read books on for instance Japanese history that are full of untranslated (but explained) terms. Translated terms would feel like a wall between me and the subject matter.

NB obviosuly in those cases where there is a good term in English there is no need to leave it untranslated.

This bugs the hell out of me.  I was reading a book on 17th century Angola and the author kept using native terms for political leaders.  The terms are entirely opaque to me and I kept forgetting which one was which.  One of the terms was for a person who leads a village.  Why not use an English word like "Chieftain", "Baron", "Big Man", or just "Village Leader"?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on May 21, 2021, 10:05:12 AM

This bugs the hell out of me.  I was reading a book on 17th century Angola and the author kept using native terms for political leaders.  The terms are entirely opaque to me and I kept forgetting which one was which.  One of the terms was for a person who leads a village.  Why not use an English word like "Chieftain", "Baron", "Big Man", or just "Village Leader"?

Perhaps the terms they were using had different meanings from the words you have suggested.

Savonarola

When I was in Australia I had to take sensitivity training for dealing with aborigines.  (Everyone in the mine does, I didn't do anything offensive towards the aborigines.)  Today it's considered offensive to use the term "Tribe", instead "Skin group" is the correct term.  "Chief" or "Chieftain" is also considered offensive; though I don't remember the correct term for leader.  That might be why the author is using the native terms for political leader, rather than more commonly understood English terms.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I've reached the Elizabethan age in the Norton Anthology of English Literature.  I've come up to Thomas Campion, whose poem "I Care Not For These Ladies," which, like many Elizabethan poems, contrasts the unspoiled rustic folk (in this case the wanton country lass Amaryllis) with the artificial people of the city or court (these ladies.)  As language changes it sometimes leads to amusing passages in these poems, for instance:

If I love Amaryllis, she gives me fruit and flowers
But if we love these ladies, we must give golden showers

So that's why R. Kelly is so successful with the ladies.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 21, 2021, 10:07:05 AM

Perhaps the terms they were using had different meanings from the words you have suggested.

I think "village leader" is good enough word to describe a village leader.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Let me guess: and the inhabitants should be village people? :rolleyes:

11B4V

And so it begins. The first arrivals. Rules of the Game and Kiagan are inbound.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".