News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

I'm not sure that pre-historical economic drivers of conflict are particularly relevant in the current situation.

Admiral Yi

China will invade us because the surplus dudes need sex partners.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Jacob on October 24, 2017, 06:49:57 PM
I'm not sure that pre-historical economic drivers of conflict are particularly relevant in the current situation.

Yes. Especially those past monolopies.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 24, 2017, 06:27:24 PM
You know, having finished War Before Civilization, it implies that war with China is even more inevitible than I thought, especially under the current leadership.

Basically, the more heavily tribes traded with each other, the more likely they were to go to war with each other unless they voluntarily established arbitrary monolopies (i.e. one tribe produces pottery, one produces obsidian blades, etc.). The breaking of such monopolies almost inevitably lead to war.

Chinese dominance in manufacturing and Trump's determination to break that comes to mind.

Did the author quantify the uncertainty?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2017, 06:55:02 PM

That's why they are dumping resources into advanced robotics research.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 25, 2017, 12:47:38 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 24, 2017, 06:55:02 PM

That's why they are dumping resources into advanced robotics research.

To provide sex partners or military hardware for the invasion - or both?

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 24, 2017, 06:27:24 PM
Basically, the more heavily tribes traded with each other, the more likely they were to go to war with each other unless they voluntarily established arbitrary monolopies (i.e. one tribe produces pottery, one produces obsidian blades, etc.). The breaking of such monopolies almost inevitably lead to war.
That's an absurd contention.  Societies in close enough contact to trade probably were also in close enough contact to have causes to go to war with one another, but it is silly to argue that it is the trade that causes the war.  Not even the arbitrary monolopies of melanesia thought that.

QuoteChinese dominance in manufacturing and Trump's determination to break that comes to mind.

Trump is not determined to "break" China's trade imbalance; he is determined to play the same grift he has relied on his whole life:  to make his winning opponents see total victory as too drawn-out and expensive to be worthwhile, so they throw him a bone and accept his conditional surrender.

China won't fall for it, but it will take Trump longer than he has left in office to realize that they won't fall for that.  War with China is as likely as peace in the Middle East, if Trump has anything to do with it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Man, the Chernow book is not very kind to Jefferson and Madison.  Jefferson in particular comes off as a crackpot.

Gups

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 29, 2017, 04:23:31 PM
Man, the Chernow book is not very kind to Jefferson and Madison.  Jefferson in particular comes off as a crackpot.

He gives Adams a good kicking too. But he really seems to hate Jefferson. Is that a common view? I'd always assumed he was regarded as one of the all time greats.

sbr

I don't know how much of it is because of Chernow, but Jefferson is my least favorite foundling father and it isn't close.  Outside of writing the DoI he was a mostly a piece of shit.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Gups on October 29, 2017, 07:13:06 PM

He gives Adams a good kicking too. But he really seems to hate Jefferson. Is that a common view? I'd always assumed he was regarded as one of the all time greats.
He's regarded as one of the greats, but I defy anyone to read about his 2 terms as president and not think he was just awful. He lucked into the Louisiana purchase and that's about it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Jefferson had a lot of very impractical ideas about how the nation should and would develop.  Beside fucking his slave and selling off his own kids, of course.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on October 29, 2017, 07:13:06 PM

Besides the slave owning and slave fucking I didn't realize there were any knocks against him.

Good luck when it's time to redo Rushmore.