News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: Savonarola on October 05, 2017, 10:54:13 AM
The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown

This is the basis for the PBS American Experience documentary "The Boys of '36."  It goes much more in depth than the documentary and focuses on Joe Rantz (the guy abandoned by his parents in the documentary.)  Brown manages to build some real excitement into the races and imparts a great deal of information about crew and rowing in general (and keeps it interesting).  I recommend seeing the documentary first; if you're want to know more this is a great follow-up.

It was a slog for me, and I used to row for my university.
I didn't really care for the human interest part, and the against all odds angle never ceases to bore me.
Too bad, I had high hopes. Maybe I should try to find the documentary.

Savonarola

Quote from: Maladict on October 06, 2017, 10:41:12 AM
It was a slog for me, and I used to row for my university.
I didn't really care for the human interest part, and the against all odds angle never ceases to bore me.
Too bad, I had high hopes. Maybe I should try to find the documentary.

The documentary is also a story of triumph and courage; (but it has the advantage that it's much shorter.)  If you didn't like the book, I don't think you'll like the documentary.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Crew is too fucking early.  Needs to be in the early evening.

Eddie Teach

Early morning is cooler though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

No waves.  I want to see those bows breaking surf, dammit.

Maladict

Quote from: Savonarola on October 06, 2017, 12:42:25 PM

The documentary is also a story of triumph and courage; (but it has the advantage that it's much shorter.)  If you didn't like the book, I don't think you'll like the documentary.

I was annoyed I didn't like it, so maybe I should give it another go.

Unrelated, but on topic: the Columbus bio by Samuel Eliot Morison is an excellent read.

Admiral Yi

Anyone read the Chernow Hamilton book?

Admiral Yi

Picked it up, started, good so far.

But what do you expect from a NYT #1 bestseller!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2017, 06:53:26 PM
But what do you expect from a NYT #1 bestseller!

Some crap Oprah likes?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Reading War Before Civilization. It's pretty awesome.

My Kindle just down loaded Edgedancer. A Stormlight novella. That's next on the list.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

You should be downloading evacuation procedures in the event of an emergency.

11B4V

Hello, you've reach the U.S. Air force evacuation line. Please wait for the next available representative.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on October 17, 2017, 07:26:23 PM
Hello, you've reach the U.S. Air force evacuation line. Please wait for the next available representative.

[email protected]
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive