Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on December 20, 2017, 09:05:57 PM
I'd add to the Vietnam list
Flight of the Intruder

Yes; as usual, a much better book than the movie.  The whole "phantom shitter" subplot was absolutely hilarious.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 20, 2017, 09:10:15 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 20, 2017, 09:05:57 PM
I'd add to the Vietnam list
Flight of the Intruder

Yes; as usual, a much better book than the movie.  The whole "phantom shitter" subplot was absolutely hilarious.

Gotta admit, though, that the movie had peak Willem Dafoe.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Oooh, the 2018 Verlag Militaria catalogue just arrived! Sweet! :w00t:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Just finished re-reading Downfall https://www.amazon.com/Downfall-End-Imperial-Japanese-Empire/dp/0141001461, the 1999 book about the end of the war in the Pacific (not the book that the movie was based on).  I'd forgotten how good this book was.  For those interested in the issues that led to the use of the atomic bomb, it is particularly valuable.  I think it puts to bed the theories that the bomb need not have been used, using the viewpoints of both Japanese and American decision-makers.  Really well researched and very readable.  Highly recommended.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Tokien had an Icelandic nanny.

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on December 24, 2017, 11:56:24 AM
Just finished re-reading Downfall https://www.amazon.com/Downfall-End-Imperial-Japanese-Empire/dp/0141001461, the 1999 book about the end of the war in the Pacific (not the book that the movie was based on).  I'd forgotten how good this book was.  For those interested in the issues that led to the use of the atomic bomb, it is particularly valuable.  I think it puts to bed the theories that the bomb need not have been used, using the viewpoints of both Japanese and American decision-makers.  Really well researched and very readable.  Highly recommended.

Interesting. How does he fit the Soviet invasion into the decision to surrender?  The reviews don't mention it much, if at all.

grumbler

Quote from: Maladict on December 25, 2017, 05:18:02 PM
Interesting. How does he fit the Soviet invasion into the decision to surrender?  The reviews don't mention it much, if at all.

He discusses the Soviet entry quite a bit.  The main impact was to disappoint the Japanese foreign office, who believed that the Soviets could be a valuable intermediary in the peace negotiations that the Japanese felt would follow their defeat of the American invasion of Kyushu.  When the decision was made to surrender, Tokyo still was unaware of the scale of the defeat of the Kwantung Army (the latest they had was that there was fierce fighting on the eastern border, but they were unaware that the Western border had fallen).

The Japanese (including the Emperor) were staking everything on the defeat of Operation Olympic.  The Emperor made the decision to make peace because he realized that the Bomb made an invasion unnecessary.  Interestingly, the US had plans to use seven A-bombs in conjunction with the invasion, if they went ahead with the invasion.  Franks believes that there would be no invasion, because Nimitz was secretly opposed to it.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 02, 2014, 11:19:24 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 01, 2014, 07:37:30 PM
Words of Radiance, the sequel to Way of Kings.

Holy crap this was great! Sanderson's best yet. He even made big progress on his two flaws, pacing and humor. Plot, world building, characters, and themes were as good as ever.

I liked Way of Kings a lot.  When I was in the book store last week they didnt have the Radiance so it will have to wait for me to get through the stack I did get.

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 02, 2014, 12:16:39 PM
Words is better than WoK.

Is Interlude are less boring and less about random characters. The Oververse of the Cosmere is also more apparent, which is good.

One thing I do not like about Brandon is how young he makes his characters. You are not GRR Martin, ffs.

Quote from: Maximus on June 02, 2014, 12:20:49 PM
Yep, it was a masterwork. Probably his best-written book yet, which is something given its size. The Emperor's Soul may be a contender but it's a novella.

I reread The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance and then powered through Edgedancer and Oathbringer in five days.

Wow. Edgedancer, a novella centering on Lift, went down like a fine appetizer. Lots of cool lore and some interesting plot development. Oathbringer though, that's the real deal. Every bit as good as Words of Radiance if not more. So much awesome stuff going down in this book, the culmination of Dalinar's arc was superb.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

merithyn

I've tried so hard to read American Gods. I've tried twice, and each time, I stop in the same place: when they get to Cairo, IL.

Is it worth it to keep going? I'll push through, but damn...
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maladict

Quote from: grumbler on December 26, 2017, 07:37:19 AM
Quote from: Maladict on December 25, 2017, 05:18:02 PM

He discusses the Soviet entry quite a bit.  The main impact was to disappoint the Japanese foreign office, who believed that the Soviets could be a valuable intermediary in the peace negotiations that the Japanese felt would follow their defeat of the American invasion of Kyushu.  When the decision was made to surrender, Tokyo still was unaware of the scale of the defeat of the Kwantung Army (the latest they had was that there was fierce fighting on the eastern border, but they were unaware that the Western border had fallen).

The Japanese (including the Emperor) were staking everything on the defeat of Operation Olympic.  The Emperor made the decision to make peace because he realized that the Bomb made an invasion unnecessary.  Interestingly, the US had plans to use seven A-bombs in conjunction with the invasion, if they went ahead with the invasion.  Franks believes that there would be no invasion, because Nimitz was secretly opposed to it.

Thanks for that, I'll probably pick it up when my to-read pile allows it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: merithyn on December 27, 2017, 02:23:06 PM
I've tried so hard to read American Gods. I've tried twice, and each time, I stop in the same place: when they get to Cairo, IL.

I found the book disappointing after the glowing reviews on Languish.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 27, 2017, 03:59:32 PM
Quote from: merithyn on December 27, 2017, 02:23:06 PM

I found the book disappointing after the glowing reviews on Languish.

Same.  I'm pretty sure I finished it, but it was so uncompelling that I don't recall for sure.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I liked when Odin insulted the pagan girl.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017