News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Reading Timothy Zahn's "Thrawn" about Thrawn's rise in the Imperial ranks. It's basically Sherlock in Space. The story is interesting enough, but damn, Zahn needs a better editor. Bit of hack writing that was common in the old EU universe, but the standards have improved a fair bit from what books of the new canon I've read so far.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Has Thrawn been in any of the movies?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 26, 2017, 04:28:32 AM
Has Thrawn been in any of the movies?

He's part of Star Wars Rebels, which is canon. There's rumors he might die in the final season or at the very least disappear.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

11B4V

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 26, 2017, 02:26:46 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2017, 07:35:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2017, 05:39:52 PM
Asking Before which East Front books are good is like asking Donald which tyrants deserve praise.

What an odd thing to say.  11B4V is very knowledgeable, has read extensively and has provided many book reviews in the past.

I wonder if Marti hacked Yi's account, such is the quality of the comparison.

I don't think you got it. Yi is saying b4 likes all of them.

We did, Yi be wrong.

To boot I gave Mongers the Glantz warning too.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on June 26, 2017, 02:26:46 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2017, 07:35:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2017, 05:39:52 PM
Asking Before which East Front books are good is like asking Donald which tyrants deserve praise.

What an odd thing to say.  11B4V is very knowledgeable, has read extensively and has provided many book reviews in the past.

I wonder if Marti hacked Yi's account, such is the quality of the comparison.

I don't think you got it. Yi is saying b4 likes all of them.

No shit Sherlock.  That is exactly why it was such a dumb thing to say.  Just because B4 reads a lot about the topic doesn't mean he likes all things he reads equally or, as Yi awkwardly put it, as uncritically as Trump. 

Syt

Ordered hardcover versions of Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion. My paperbacks are still in decent order, but I would like some nicer copies.

My apartment building has a ledge at the entrance gate to the inner yard. People often leave their old books there for other inhabitants to pick up. I've left my old books there this morning; will see if they're still there tonight. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

jimmy olsen

I'm reading the Martian. Pretty damn good.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2017, 02:16:11 AM
Ordered hardcover versions of Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion. My paperbacks are still in decent order, but I would like some nicer copies.

:yes:
I recently upgraded some classics. It's the civilized thing to do.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on June 30, 2017, 05:29:19 AM

Well the bougie thing to do. Buying additional copies of something you already have...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2017, 06:58:00 AM

Well the bougie thing to do. Buying additional copies of something you already have...

Replacing them with better versions, rather than getting additional copies of the same thing.
Not entirely unlike upgrading a computer or phone.

I suppose you could see that as a middle class thing to do, not sure what your point is though.

mongers

My apartment building has a ledge at the entrance gate to the inner yard. People often leave their old books there for other inhabitants to pick up. I've left my old books there this morning; will see if they're still there tonight. :)

:cool:

What a civilised way of being.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

Well, the books were gone, which means either someone took them, or someone threw them away. I like to think the former is the case.
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on June 30, 2017, 08:27:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2017, 06:58:00 AM

Replacing them with better versions, rather than getting additional copies of the same thing.
Not entirely unlike upgrading a computer or phone.

I suppose you could see that as a middle class thing to do, not sure what your point is though.

Pointing out that 'civilised' is a rather elitist description. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Only if you are an unwashed barbarian!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2017, 12:03:39 PM
Well, the books were gone, which means either someone took them, or someone threw them away. I like to think the former is the case.

LOL and at the half, it's Hobbes 7, Rousseau 0