Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2017, 12:05:43 PM
Quote from: Maladict on June 30, 2017, 08:27:39 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2017, 06:58:00 AM
Quote from: Maladict on June 30, 2017, 05:29:19 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2017, 02:16:11 AM
Ordered hardcover versions of Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion. My paperbacks are still in decent order, but I would like some nicer copies.

:yes:
I recently upgraded some classics. It's the civilized thing to do.

Well the bougie thing to do. Buying additional copies of something you already have...

Replacing them with better versions, rather than getting additional copies of the same thing.
Not entirely unlike upgrading a computer or phone.

I suppose you could see that as a middle class thing to do, not sure what your point is though.

Pointing out that 'civilised' is a rather elitist description. :P

No contest there :)

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2017, 12:39:59 PM
Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2017, 12:03:39 PM
Well, the books were gone, which means either someone took them, or someone threw them away. I like to think the former is the case.

LOL and at the half, it's Hobbes 7, Rousseau 0

:lol:

Tamas

I have been barked into here by garbon (he is most annoying when he is right). Can anyone recommend me a good book on the Spanish Succession War? I am not looking for a detailed log, more like a good overview and narrative.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

MSNBC's Lockdown: San Quentin

Eddie Teach

Is this one of those 18th century wars?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2017, 08:33:27 AM
I have been barked into here by garbon (he is most annoying when he is right). Can anyone recommend me a good book on the Spanish Succession War? I am not looking for a detailed log, more like a good overview and narrative.

https://www.google.at/search?q=books+on+war+of+spanish+succession&oq=books+war+of+spanish&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.3279j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on July 04, 2017, 09:48:01 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 04, 2017, 08:33:27 AM

https://www.google.at/search?q=books+on+war+of+spanish+succession&oq=books+war+of+spanish&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0.3279j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Falkner's book is not a great book. Then again there's not much in English on this conflict, and it might be the best of what's there.

Habbaku

John A. Lynn's "The Wars of Louis XIV" isn't solely devoted to the War of Spanish Succession, but covers it in decent detail. Since the war is the climax of Louis' reign, reading the rest of the work should give you a solid background to the lead-up from a French perspective.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Malthus

This book by Charles Spencer is pretty entertaining for the Blenheim campaign and Marlborough/Prince Eugene of Savoy, very readable: 

https://www.amazon.com/Blenheim-Battle-Europe-Phoenix-Press/dp/0304367044
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Gups

Quote from: Malthus on July 04, 2017, 02:56:48 PM
This book by Charles Spencer is pretty entertaining for the Blenheim campaign and Marlborough/Prince Eugene of Savoy, very readable: 

https://www.amazon.com/Blenheim-Battle-Europe-Phoenix-Press/dp/0304367044

Seconded. Surprisingly good.

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on July 04, 2017, 02:43:19 PM
John A. Lynn's "The Wars of Louis XIV" isn't solely devoted to the War of Spanish Succession, but covers it in decent detail. Since the war is the climax of Louis' reign, reading the rest of the work should give you a solid background to the lead-up from a French perspective.

I haven't read it but you aren't the first one I hear recommending that book.

Habbaku

Quote from: celedhring on July 04, 2017, 04:45:37 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 04, 2017, 02:43:19 PM

I haven't read it but you aren't the first one I hear recommending that book.

I've only read two books in the series that it's in (Modern Wars in Perspective)--the second book being "The Seven Years War in Europe"--but I've greatly enjoyed them both. I will probably be making my way through others in the series at a more rapid pace.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Correction--upon browsing the rest of the books in the series, I've apparently read two others. Charles Esdaile's "The Wars of Napoleon" was really, really good.

-J. R. R. Tolkien