News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Grand unified books thread

Started by Syt, March 16, 2009, 01:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on June 21, 2017, 10:37:02 AM
Just finished Ruoff's Imperial Japan at its Zenith: The Wartime Celebration of the Empire's 2,600th Anniversary. It's pretty good if you're interested in 20th century Japan and what the Empire was like.

Oh, I forgot to mention: in the book the author describes the Sun Goddess as "mythical". Unfortunately I don't think he mentions the Christian God, I was very interested in his position on that one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on June 25, 2017, 11:41:29 AM
Is Glantz's 'Kharkov' 1942 worth an isolated read, or does it work best when read with some of his other works?

I'm afraid you really need to read his entire oeuvre to fully understand it.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Is Glantz's 'Kharkov' 1942 worth an isolated read, or does it work best when read with some of his other works?

Sure,but it it may not be an easy read. Depends on your level of knowledge starting off with. Glantz is a very 5W type of writer.

However I would recommend reading his book; Before Stalingrad: Barbarossa, Hitler's Invasion of Russia 1941, as a lead in.

The second battle of Kharkov was essentially a German "Backhand" strike leading into Fall Blau

Both are well worth it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2017, 04:50:00 PM

Sure,but it it may not be an easy read. Depends on your level of knowledge starting off with. Glantz is a very 5W type of writer.

However I would recommend reading his book; Before Stalingrad: Barbarossa, Hitler's Invasion of Russia 1941, as a lead in.

The second battle of Kharkov was essentially a German "Backhand" strike leading into Fall Blau

Both are well worth it.

Thanks for that11B, I knew you'd come through. :cheers:

Yes, I'll take your advice and get the Barbarossa one as an e-book to speed things up.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Asking Before which East Front books are good is like asking Donald which tyrants deserve praise.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2017, 05:39:52 PM
Asking Before which East Front books are good is like asking Donald which tyrants deserve praise.

What an odd thing to say.  11B4V is very knowledgeable, has read extensively and has provided many book reviews in the past.

I wonder if Marti hacked Yi's account, such is the quality of the comparison. 

CountDeMoney

Yi's right;  11B doesn't know shit about the East Front.  What with living on the West Coast and all.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 25, 2017, 07:44:28 PM
Yi's right;  11B doesn't know shit about the East Front.  What with living on the West Coast and all.

Eat an otterpop.

Ed Anger

Pro tip for y'all: Joe Steele by Turtledove is garbage. Worst book for 3 bucks....EVAR

And shut up. I was bored at the remainder tables.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2017, 07:55:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 25, 2017, 07:44:28 PM

Eat an otterpop.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 25, 2017, 08:05:37 PM
And shut up. I was bored at the remainder tables.

Not a fucking excuse.  Plenty of remainder titles not by Turtledove on those tables.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Self-help books are funnier.  And better fiction than Turtledove.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2017, 07:35:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2017, 05:39:52 PM

What an odd thing to say.  11B4V is very knowledgeable, has read extensively and has provided many book reviews in the past.

I wonder if Marti hacked Yi's account, such is the quality of the comparison.

I don't think you got it. Yi is saying b4 likes all of them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?