GM Takes Fight To Tesla With $30k, 200-Mile Bolt in 2017

Started by jimmy olsen, January 13, 2015, 11:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on January 14, 2015, 07:40:28 PM
That's why guys want good looking cars, I guess.

Yes, it's unfortunate that material shallowness is universal, and not limited to one gender.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 07:42:39 PM

Yes, it's unfortunate that material shallowness is universal, and not limited to one gender.

:yes:

I consider owning a Prius to be a deal breaker.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

This thread reminds me of an experiment.  Somebody borrowed a Lamborghini, and asked young women who were complete strangers and appeared to be single to get on the car in Hong Kong.  7 out of 8 attempts were successful, and some of the women even agreed to go to the male driver's home.

When he repeated the same experiment with a Toyota, the success rate became 0 out of 8. 

I'm guessing it has something to do with the prices of the two cars.

Caliga

Last Saturday I went in to the office to work with the accountants on YE close.  All of our cars were parked in a row and their were four Accords (including mine), two Maximas, a Camry, and a Volvo S60.  :boring:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2015, 07:50:06 PM
This thread reminds me of an experiment.  Somebody borrowed a Lamborghini, and asked young women who were complete strangers and appeared to be single to get on the car in Hong Kong.  7 out of 8 attempts were successful, and some of the women even agreed to go to the male driver's home.

When he repeated the same experiment with a Toyota, the success rate became 0 out of 8. 

I'm guessing it has something to do with the prices of the two cars.

I kind of doubt that's the major difference.  A Honda Accord is actually a more expensive car than a Ford Mustang, but I'd bet you could get a lot more chicks to get in the car with you driving the Mustang than driving the Accord.

Caliga

Are we talking a Mustang or a Shelby Mustang GT here?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Caliga on January 14, 2015, 08:32:11 PM
Are we talking a Mustang or a Shelby Mustang GT here?

Base Mustang.  MSRP starts at $23,800.  I was a bit wrong about the Accord being more expensive, though--the MSRP on the base Accord is $22,195, which still puts it at roughly the same price.  I had looked at the MSRP on the Accord Hybrid before, which is $29,305.  Still I think you'd get more women into the car with a base Mustang than with the Accord.  And with the Accord, I don't think you'd get more chicks by paying extra to have the hybrid (different chicks, maybe, but not more in terms of numbers). 

Incidentally, I do remember reading somewhere about a guy and his buddy who both had Mustangs.  One had a V-6, the other had a V-8.  They did some experiments to see who could pick up more chicks, and there was no difference, because there weren't really any easily noticed external differences in the appearance of the two cars.

garbon

Oh they finally brought the Accord Hybrid back? Did they straighten out the issues that made it no better than buying the standard Accord (and more expensive to boot)?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 09:00:44 PM
Oh they finally brought the Accord Hybrid back? Did they straighten out the issues that made it no better than buying the standard Accord (and more expensive to boot)?

No idea.  Well, as posted above, it's certainly still more expensive, but I don't know about the other issues.

garbon

Quote from: dps on January 14, 2015, 09:10:36 PM

No idea.  Well, as posted above, it's certainly still more expensive, but I don't know about the other issues.

Looks like it came back last year - was withdrawn from US after 2007 model.

Honda has been dinged a lot for having ridiculously exaggerated fuel economy. As I recall, 2007 Accord drivers were getting just as good (or very close to similar) gas mileage as those with non-hybrid.

dps

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 09:20:36 PM
Quote from: dps on January 14, 2015, 09:10:36 PM

Looks like it came back last year - was withdrawn from US after 2007 model.

Honda has been dinged a lot for having ridiculously exaggerated fuel economy. As I recall, 2007 Accord drivers were getting just as good (or very close to similar) gas mileage as those with non-hybrid.

According to their website, the hybrid gets 50 mpg in city driving, while the standard Accord get 36 on the highway.  Frankly, I'm skeptical about the 39 mpg highway figure in real-word driving, but  have no idea about the hybrid.

Obviously, I've not been posting everything in this thread from memory;  I've been looking at a lot of car company websites.  And now I want a new car, but it's not in the budget this year.

I like our Altima, but I wish my mom had taken my advice and just bought an older used car for cash instead of taking on the payments for the Altima.  She didn't even get that good of a deal on it.  Normally, she's a tough negotiator with the dealerships, which is a big part of the reason I let her handle it herself--in the past she's gotten better deals than I've ever gotten, except the first Focus I bought for aa, and the only reason I got such a good deal then was because I really, really didn't want to take on any more debt at the time and started to walk out about 4 times.  Frankly, I'm still amazed that they gave me credit in the first place, under the circumstances.

Neil

Quote from: dps on January 14, 2015, 08:00:56 PM
I kind of doubt that's the major difference.  A Honda Accord is actually a more expensive car than a Ford Mustang, but I'd bet you could get a lot more chicks to get in the car with you driving the Mustang than driving the Accord.
Of course they'd get in the Mustang, because the Mustang is a chick car.  If you're a guy driving one, you're either driving your girl's car, or you're putting off a serious non-threatening homo vibe.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Neil on January 14, 2015, 09:32:58 PM
Quote from: dps on January 14, 2015, 08:00:56 PM
Of course they'd get in the Mustang, because the Mustang is a chick car.  If you're a guy driving one, you're either driving your girl's car, or you're putting off a serious non-threatening homo vibe.

No, you've got it backwards.  They won't get into the Accord, because if a guy's driving one, it says, "Unhappily married, but too wimpy to actually ever leave his wife for you".

KRonn

This is a good move by GM. Glad to see someone pulling off building an electric car like this. 30k is a bit pricey for a small car but it's not a bad price compared to some of the mid level type cars. Besides, with such battery mileage it'll pay for the price difference a lot sooner. I would think this car will sell well, especially if/when oil prices go up, but it still seems a decent deal with low gas prices, especially obviously for people wanting to lessen their use of fossil fuel.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on January 14, 2015, 09:40:03 PM
No, you've got it backwards.  They won't get into the Accord, because if a guy's driving one, it says, "Unhappily married, but too wimpy to actually ever leave his wife for you".

Child seat and sippy cups in the back are a real downer, too.