DHS is a mess of Cybersecurity incompetence

Started by viper37, January 14, 2015, 07:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: garbon on January 14, 2015, 09:58:42 PM
Could the IRS like I don't know - do our taxes for us? Who else gets to demand money but first says, figure out how much you owe me first?

There have been attempts at tax reform in this direction, but they've been shot down in Congress.

viper37

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2015, 07:26:55 PM
I don't think this surprises anyone. If a government agency has good cyber-security that would be shocking.

Given that DHS is a kludge of a dozen different agencies I'd expect them to be one of the worst at it, maybe the worst.
I'm not surprised, I never liked the idea of creating another agency to solve the problems the CIA had doing its job.

But, it was a Republican idea, small government, small is beautiful, etc, etc, so multiplying inefficient government agencies is better than having one working correctly.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Could the IRS like I don't know - do our taxes for us? Who else gets to demand money but first says, figure out how much you owe me first?

Given its track record, I'd rather the IRS be responsible for double-checking our math than the other way around.  Do you really trust the IRS' collective judgment enough to say you'd just pay the number they say you owe?
Experience bij!

The Brain

In Sweden many people only have to spend like 5 mins doing their taxes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 15, 2015, 12:59:29 AM

Given its track record, I'd rather the IRS be responsible for double-checking our math than the other way around.  Do you really trust the IRS' collective judgment enough to say you'd just pay the number they say you owe?

In Spain you can get the taxman to do your taxes for you, or do it yourself. It's optional. Having Agencia Tributaria do it usually works if your tax situation isn't a complex one (like having a single yearlong wage job).

Martinus

That would suck. This way I can't pay someone to optimise my taxation for me.

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on January 14, 2015, 08:05:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 07:49:27 PM
Which state are you in, dps?  I forget.

North Carolina.

I got my check from South Carolina back in, like, February. :D
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

I believe that is currently an option.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive