The Shaving Poll

Started by Caliga, January 12, 2015, 08:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you shave?

straight razor
1 (1.7%)
disposable safety razor
14 (24.1%)
refillable cartridge razor (e.g. Gillette Fusion)
36 (62.1%)
electric rotary shaver
12 (20.7%)
electric foil shaver
4 (6.9%)
beard trimmer
14 (24.1%)
I don't shave because I'm a chick
3 (5.2%)
I don't shave because I'm a weirdo/lumberjack/kid/caveman
4 (6.9%)
obligatory Jaron option
2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Razgovory

Huh.  I read "You are a dangerously insane human being.", as being an affirmation.  I guess that's just a cultural difference.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 03:20:55 PM
Nothing in particular, apart from what I said.  It strikes me as something like gold:  it's perceived as valuable only because it's perceived as valuable.  I think that if you give someone not familiar with the single malt hype a choice of a good blended whiskey or a good single malt whiskey, they would consider single malt a foul brew.

Sure some number of people might not like it or simply prefer something else. That does not make it objectively superior somehow.

Two questions:

1 - What's an example of a good blended whiskey in your opinion?

2 - Do you generally think that tastes that are acquired are somehow objectionable, or is that only something that applies to single malt vs blended?

Rex Francorum

I have an electric shaver but I don't like it. I rather use disposable safety razors.
To rent

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2015, 04:51:48 PM
1 - What's an example of a good blended whiskey in your opinion?
Johnny Walker Gold and up is very good.  Black Label is okay.
Quote2 - Do you generally think that tastes that are acquired are somehow objectionable, or is that only something that applies to single malt vs blended?
If the only reason to acquire a taste is because that taste is known to be an acquired taste, then it strikes me as a bit pretentious, that's all.  It's like sophistication for the sake of sophistication.

Admiral Yi

The definition of an acquired taste is that it takes time but is eventually rewarding.  If you're still grimacing in disgust after having acquired the taste, you're doing it wrong.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 05:28:42 PM
Johnny Walker Gold and up is very good.  Black Label is okay.

I haven't had a lot of Johnny Walker, but I did have some Blue Label and while it was fine I still prefer a peaty single malt. I'd certainly be able to pick out the Lagavulin from the Johnny Walker in a blind taste test, and I'd prefer the (cheaper) Lagavulin.

QuoteIf the only reason to acquire a taste is because that taste is known to be an acquired taste, then it strikes me as a bit pretentious, that's all.  It's like sophistication for the sake of sophistication.

I'm honestly a little confused what you mean, especially since we're talking about hard alcohol here. Pretty much everyone's reaction to their first sip of hard alcohol is revulsion. It's only the desire to get drunk/ fit in/ seem cool/ seem mature that keeps you coming back. Eventually you develop some preferences in terms of flavour, smoothness, and other aesthetic markers but at first those are pretty much impossible to discern (except what your friends and the label tell you), but whatever your preference in the end it's all an acquired taste.

I mean, going on and on about the subtle characteristics about something you're enthusiastic about to someone who doesn't care makes you a bore; doing so if you can't actually discern the subtle characteristics you're prattling on about and you're deliberately putting on a front makes you a buffoon. Being judgemental about people liking things different from you makes you a prat.

But liking "the simple uncomplicated thing" can be as much of an affectation as being into "the subtle nuance", that's all fashion.

A Russian immigrant being into the expensive kinds of Johnny Walker (the basic third world country gift economy exchange unit on the same level as the carton of Marlboro) is no more or no less of an affectation or an acquired taste than the Westerner who likes single malts; it's all down to what was going on around them when they decided to acquire the taste to drink spirits.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2015, 02:17:44 PM
I also drink water out of mason jars. -_-

When I was a kid, we used to go to Po Folks a lot and I'd drink Coke out of a Mason jar.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2015, 06:33:14 PM
A Russian immigrant being into the expensive kinds of Johnny Walker (the basic third world country gift economy exchange unit on the same level as the carton of Marlboro) is no more or no less of an affectation or an acquired taste than the Westerner who likes single malts; it's all down to what was going on around them when they decided to acquire the taste to drink spirits.
:mad: Ukrainian immigrant, mind you.  :mad:  And I'm not that much into Johnny Walker either;  nothing beats Ketel One with zakuska.  :mad:

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Warspite

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 01:25:05 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 13, 2015, 12:06:48 PM
My dad shaves with a safety razor, he tried to get me to use that when I was a teen and started shaving, but I didn't see the point of it.
It's like single malt:  an objectively inferior alternative that is an acquired taste for the sake of being an acquired taste.

Are you talking about double-edged safety razors?

I switched for reasons of discernible difference.

One, the cost - and it is simply the case that DE safety-razors are far, far cheaper than your Gillette Fusion or Mach 3 per blade, which means you can afford to use fresh blades much more easily. It's £10 for four Fusion blades which keep their edge for a week each; it's £12 for 70 double-edged razor blades. The only gullible consumer is the one forking out an order of magnitude more for their over-designed product.

Two, the quality of the shave - cartridge razors are designed primarily not to slice your face to shreds hence all the gimmicks like lubricating strips and ten blades on the device. But I get substantially more irritation with a cartridge razor than with a DE safety-razor; cartridge blades pull the skin much tighter which causes ingrowing hairs if you have a coarse beard (ie are a real man). They also offer a much less close shave, even controlling for shaving soap/cream and brush. Once you bother to learn the proper technique a DE safety razor is quick and safe to use bar the odd nick and cut.

The real problem is the pussification of society in which a plaid-wearing, facially moisturised middle-class father cannot be bothered to pass down the ancient wisdom of the wet shave to his son.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Caliga

I'll probably try out a Merkur at some point. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Rotary shavers only, have used them for many years, probably at least 25 years. I much prefer them - fast, no cuts or irritation, no fuss. I have two, one is a newer Remington cordless which is good, and an older Norelco corded shaver which seems to give me a closer shave. I keep a bladed razor and blades around just in case of problems with the other shavers, but rarely use it.

Josquius

I tried a straight razor for  a while but just didn't work with me.
Generally a normal safety razor and occasionally electric
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Today I was at Target and picked up a tube of Cremo Shave Cream and, since it was sitting right next to it, decided to pick up a bottle of Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm.  The Cremo worked really well and I loved that it didn't lather up (nor did I need it to), which is helpful when you have facial hair like I do... I'm always afraid with all the mass of conventional shaving cream I'll accidentally whack off part of my moustache or goatee.  It smells like orange dreamsicle though, which is kind of odd.

The Nivea also worked well too... it's not alcohol based so it didn't burn like most other aftershaves, and it is scented but the sent faded very quickly.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points