And we're back!

Main Menu

May 2015 UK General Election Campaign.

Started by mongers, January 09, 2015, 03:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: alfred russel on May 08, 2015, 01:55:42 PM
Quote from: Maladict on May 08, 2015, 04:10:43 AM
Miliband to resign, according to BBC sources.

Milliband, farange, clegg...odd all these "leaders" just quit without trying even to form a coalition.

They have nothing in common except not being tories.

derspiess

Milliband, farange, clegg...odd all these "leaders" just quit without trying even to form a coalition.

I thought the Tories got an outright majority :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on May 08, 2015, 01:59:19 PM
They have nothing in common except not being tories.

They all have names that sound made up.

Warspite

The Scots are not a distinct ethnic group

:huh:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Valmy

Yeah no coalitions this time. David Cameron rules supreme.

What do the Northern Irish parties do? Just hang out? Are they affiliated with one of the British parties?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Warspite on May 08, 2015, 03:18:40 PM

Like most UK people they are not so much an ethnicity as a accent.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2015, 03:22:55 PM
Yeah no coalitions this time. David Cameron rules supreme.

What do the Northern Irish parties do? Just hang out? Are they affiliated with one of the British parties?

Yeah, I don't get why there are still separate NI parties.  I mean peace now reigns, devolution has occurred - other than Sinn Fein why not start supporting the "regular" UK parties?

As for Sinn Fein - since they have signed on to the Good Friday accords and support the current governmental structure (albeit with the long-term goal of having NI join Ireland) why do they continue to boycott their seats?  Surely they would have more influence if they actually sat as MPs?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2015, 03:23:41 PM

Like most UK people they are not so much an ethnicity as a accent.

such a mindset is not going to keep the Union together.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on May 08, 2015, 03:35:03 PM
As for Sinn Fein - since they have signed on to the Good Friday accords and support the current governmental structure (albeit with the long-term goal of having NI join Ireland) why do they continue to boycott their seats?  Surely they would have more influence if they actually sat as MPs?

Yep.  Their famine is over.  Why don't they go home??

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Lib Dems should cede control to the AI and exit the game.

Josquius

:huh: what?
There's far more of a difference culturally between someone from northern and southern England than between Scotland and northern England.
Not to mention the central belt vs. The northern isles.

Scotland being so different is greatly exaggerated by the habit of they and the world taking England to mean the south.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on May 08, 2015, 02:00:19 PM

I thought the Tories got an outright majority :huh:

I was trying to be funny. Probably should stop trying (before the election results came in, and people were predicting Cameron to be PM because the Tories would have the most seats, I was suggesting there could be a coalition against him).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: Warspite on May 08, 2015, 01:09:37 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 08, 2015, 11:31:46 AM

Lots of places in many nations have divergent political opinions. That means nothing. In fact it is expected. A country should have divergent polities and local interests.

'Diverged from the UK' does not mean the usual differences between competing parties, it means that the kind of state the Scottish are voting for is markedly different from the kind of state the English are voting for. And "English" and "Scottish" is extremely important here; this is not a US-style culture war where there is a bitter contest between parties who want to control the same political centre. This is becoming a bitter contest where a large number of people in one distinct ethnic group want to leave the country entirely.

That it not like a lot of places - not in the Western world, at least.

I hesitate to say this, because I admit that I don't know enough about Scotland to be sure, but it seems to me that the differences between Scotland and England are far less significant than the differences between the slave and free states in the US in 1860.  And we certainly took exception to the idea that the south could just break away and form an new nation if they wanted.