Obama to propose two free years of community college for students

Started by jimmy olsen, January 08, 2015, 07:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 08, 2015, 08:20:37 PM
So what?

Do you mean so what in the sense of fuck private universities and the people that attend them, or so what in the sense that you didn't catch the public university qualifier in the Atlantic piece you linked?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 08:25:57 PM
So what?

Do you mean so what in the sense of fuck private universities and the people that attend them, or so what in the sense that you didn't catch the public university qualifier in the Atlantic piece you linked?
There are countries that fund public universities in this way and people are still willing there to pay to go to prestigious private universities. Why would it be different here?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 08:05:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 08:02:15 PM
Just more hating on higher education from the Languish Elite.  And 11Bravo.

:P

I know you're sore, since you had to pay for your first two years of community college.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 08:20:06 PM
It would also leave private universities very, very expensive Timmy.
So what?

Well, for one thing, the article is comparing apples to oranges.  It claims that it would cost $62.6B to fund undergraduate tuition at public universities for those students currently attending them, compared to $69B the feds currently spend on higher education.  But, that ignores that some of that $69B is going to students who are at private schools, or attending post-graduate schools, and the big fact that even if tuition were free, there are other expenses involved in attending college, so even with free tuition, college still wouldn't be free.   I don't know what the current numbers are, but I know that when I was in school, tuition was less than half of the fees I paid directly to the school.  I lived in a dorm, and the room and board for the dorm was considerably higher just by itself than the tuition was, and there were other fees and such we had to pay when we registered for a semester.     

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 08:05:09 PM

The Languish Elite... that's like a contradiction in terms, innit?

The ones with the hoity-toity edumacations always seem to be the ones that poo-pooh concepts such as this the most.

Tonitrus

I would think that the choice between free public university vs. expensive private college might actually force those private colleges to lower tuition or risk losing on-the-fence students to the freebie.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 08:52:00 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 08:05:09 PM

The Languish Elite... that's like a contradiction in terms, innit?

The ones with the hoity-toity edumacations always seem to be the ones that poo-pooh concepts such as this the most.

I certainly have a hoity-toity edumacation alright.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 08, 2015, 08:47:49 PM
There are countries that fund public universities in this way and people are still willing there to pay to go to prestigious private universities. Why would it be different here?

Let me see if I've got this straight.  You're in favor of shifting all federal financial aid away from private universities to public universities, and the argument you're putting forward to support this policy is at least some people would still be willing to go to private universities.

Is that right?

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 08, 2015, 08:54:08 PM
I would think that the choice between free public university vs. expensive private college might actually force those private colleges to lower tuition or risk losing on-the-fence students to the freebie.

I'm not entirely sure that they'd care. 

Well, no, it's more nuanced than that.  Probably some would care, some wouldn't.  Also keep in mind that a lot of private schools provide financial aid to students above and beyond what the government provides anyway.  If you are from a lower economic background but have the grades to get into an Ivy League school or the like, you might be getting a free ride anyway.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 08:56:03 PM
I certainly have a hoity-toity edumacation alright.  :lol:

Hence the "And 11Bravo", Lunchpail Larry.    :P

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 08:25:57 PM
fuck private universities and the people that attend them,

I'm on board.

Anyway, they still have the option to attend a public uni instead.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 08, 2015, 09:10:44 PM
I'm on board.

Anyway, they still have the option to attend a public uni instead.

What does this accomplish?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011