Obama to propose two free years of community college for students

Started by jimmy olsen, January 08, 2015, 07:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on January 09, 2015, 09:14:20 AM
And given the declining need for labor anyway, delaying more people entering the workforce is not really a bad thing.

:huh: There is more demand for human labor today than at any point in human history, and the demand is growing.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: alfred russel on January 11, 2015, 09:04:40 PM
And given the declining need for labor anyway, delaying more people entering the workforce is not really a bad thing.

:huh: There is more demand for human labor today than at any point in human history, and the demand is growing.

Per capita demand then.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 11, 2015, 09:11:14 PM

Per capita demand then.

I'd say the same.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Eddie Teach

The chance that a 12 year old is in school rather than putting in 14 hour days in a factory has improved a bit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 11, 2015, 09:42:12 PM
The chance that a 12 year old is in school rather than putting in 14 hour days in a factory has improved a bit.

The demand for child labor at low wages would still be there if not for child labor laws. It is why child labor laws are actually needed.

Admiral Yi

As has the chance that a 70 year old is playing golf instead of tenderizing whale blubber or being dead.

Tonitrus

Quote from: alfred russel on January 11, 2015, 10:03:34 PM

The demand for child labor at low wages would still be there if not for child labor laws. It is why child labor laws are actually needed.

What about the increase in the moral integrity of corporate leaders?  :sleep:

Ideologue

It takes a lot of effort to build and maintain robots, I guess.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Anyway, I'm conflicted about this.  It seems far more like corporate welfare to the educational-industrial complex than anything needed by the people at large; on the other hand, I've always said that if we're going to need waiters to be educated in the reasons behind and the conduct of the Franco-Prussian War, might as well just fund the damned program directly instead of requiring said waiters to indebt themselves.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on January 12, 2015, 12:45:32 AM
Anyway, I'm conflicted about this.  It seems far more like corporate welfare to the educational-industrial complex than anything needed by the people at large; on the other hand, I've always said that if we're going to need waiters to be educated in the reasons behind and the conduct of the Franco-Prussian War, might as well just fund the damned program directly instead of requiring said waiters to indebt themselves.

I don't think the Reasons behind and the conduct of the Franco-Prussian War is covered very much in the first two years of community college.

And it's "education-industrial complex".

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 10:57:14 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 12, 2015, 12:45:32 AM

I don't think the Reasons behind and the conduct of the Franco-Prussian War is covered very much in the first two years of community college.

And it's "education-industrial complex".

I find the Franco-Prussian War interesting and the accomplishments of the great Bismark should be taught in high school.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 11:03:58 AM

I find the Franco-Prussian War interesting and the accomplishments of the great Bismarck should be taught in high school.

I would have never guessed you would be for teaching the origins of the European welfare state in high school. :hmm:

CountDeMoney

I find the Franco-Prussian War interesting and the accomplishments of the great Bismarck should be taught in high school.

It would replace Algebra I in 11Bravo's new education initiative, the "No Child Left Behind Without Proper General Staff Officer Support" Act.

celedhring

I studied the Franco-Prussian War in high-school. It was even part of the Spanish equivalent of the SAT.

11B4V

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 12, 2015, 11:24:58 AM

I would have never guessed you would be for teaching the origins of the European welfare state in high school. :hmm:

Hell, I'm for teaching basic financial and money management in high school.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".