And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2015, 03:30:26 PM
Do you know French Marty?

I studied it for 4 year at high school so can decode text (albeit painstakingly). I used online translate to translate that commentary and simply corrected some errors, though. :)

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 03:30:51 PM
You're more fickle-minded than a 12 year old girl, Marti.

I'm not. I'm just complex. I have always had a soft spot for Catholicism, especially in its Western, enlightened form. If you spent some time listening to what Polish bishops have to say you would understand why I am sometimes so anti-religious.

Plus, in Catholic countries, you never really grow out of it. It's like Diderot and Voltaire - they weren't atheists, they were lapsed Catholics. :P

Martinus

I just had a realisation that I would love to start learning French again. I couldn't start with a new language (I started German few years ago and just couldn't do it) but going back to French would be cool. Especially as it is such a beautiful language.

Zanza

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2015, 03:32:32 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 03:30:51 PM
You're more fickle-minded than a 12 year old girl, Marti.

I'm not. I'm just complex. I have always had a soft spot for Catholicism, especially in its Western, enlightened form. If you spent some time listening to what Polish bishops have to say you would understand why I am sometimes so anti-religious.

Plus, in Catholic countries, you never really grow out of it. It's like Diderot and Voltaire - they weren't atheists, they were lapsed Catholics. :P

Oh, I get that. You wouldn't get so torqued up about it if you didn't have such a deep upbringing in what formally rejects such a fundamental aspect of who you are.   

It's not that complex at all, it's actually kinda right out of the standard Catholic homo playbook.   :P

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

These Syrian kids are going to be in trouble:

Syria's refugees in the cold.

Reuters / Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Boys build a snowman during a winter storm in Jabal al-Zawiya, in the southern countryside of Idlib January 7, 2015. REUTERS/Stringer
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Somebody's gonna get popped in the head by a Kazakh 15 year old.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 04:02:39 PM
Somebody's gonna get popped in the head by a Kazakh 15 year old.

Or ambushed with snowballs by Skayt Farkarias.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Siege on January 14, 2015, 04:09:29 PM
Fuck this shit.
Marty speaks French now?

World just doesn't make sense anymore :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

France on guard:

Reuters / Tuesday, January 13, 2015

French soldiers prepare their equipment at the Satory military base, near Paris, as part of the highest level of "Vigipirate" security plan after last week's Islamic militants attacks, January 13, 2015. REUTERS/Charles Platiau

Meanwhile on the exact same news page, when the French and West gave into the threat of Islamic extremists:

Dakar crash

Reuters / Saturday, January 10, 2015

Argentine Juan Manuel Silva and Pablo Sisterna crash and roll their Mercedes car during the 7th stage of the Dakar Rally from Iquique to Uyuni, January 10, 2015. REUTERS/Daniel Rodrigo

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Meanwhile back at the hospital's day room...

Texas gun rights group reenacts Paris massacre with 'armed civilian' — and everyone still dies

QuoteGun Owners Participate In Simulation Of Paris Massacre
January 13, 2015 9:00 PM

PLANO (CBSDFW.COM) – A group called The Truth About Guns organized a simulation of last week's terrorist attack in Paris. They hoped to learn how things may have played out differently at Charlie Hebdo, or any other mass shooting.

"It's the one people are Monday morning quarterbacking at the moment," said group member Nick Leghorn. "It's interesting to see how people react under stress. It's not what you'd expect people do."

Volunteers took turns on a set designed to look like the offices of the French satirical weekly magazine. But unlike the terrorist attack that killed 12 people, volunteers played the role of armed civilian.

"He started shooting – and I started shooting," said volunteer Linda Cruz.

Time and time again, the armed civilian "dies" – shot by a round that marks him or her with paint.

In only two cases volunteers were able to take out one of two gunmen in the process.

"Still got killed but did better than I thought I would," said father of four, Parks Matthew. He was curious to see what protective instincts may kick in.

"If I'm in a movie theater and someone pulls a gun, what am I going to do? I know now I'm not gonna just fall on my kids and protect them, I need to advance on the threat," said Matthew.

Twelve volunteers participated in the exercise. Only one survived after running away. No one was able to take out both shooters.

Your live, local, late-breaking News You Can Use piece on the local CBS affiliate--

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/01/13/gun-owners-participate-in-simulation-of-paris-massacre/

garbon

Though it wasn't what they intended / not what they took from it - I think this actually is a good piece of evidence against us all walking around with guns. Doesn't make a difference. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017