And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Liep on January 14, 2015, 10:00:27 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 14, 2015, 09:58:13 AM
Do they have an English language version?

Yes, it's out in English and something like 8 other languages too. I don't know if it'll be distributed in America, but you can buy it on ebay!
i'd buy it in Arabic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 14, 2015, 12:36:26 PM
Is there anything that *doesn't* make Muslims horny?

I don't know, is there anything that can be done to stop you generalizing about millions of people, many of whom are better educated, more successful and open minded than you?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2015, 12:08:48 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 14, 2015, 03:51:17 AM
So the only French comedian I've heard about has been arrested for saying: "Je suis Charlie Coulibaly." Dieudonne seems immediately like a douchebag, but arresting him for that comment might give the freedom of speech haters a reason to call France for hypocrites. :hmm:

EDIT: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/12/french-comedian-dieudonne-charlie-coulibaly-prosecutor

One would think it would be the defenders of free speech who would think this a bit hypocritical.   Freedom of speech haters would likely applaud silencing speech not deemed to be acceptable.

Well, I don't like it. As I said already, most of the leaders who were at the march come from countries which limit free speech.

Martinus

Quote"We have snow for fleeting days, maybe even hours, and there is always someone who wants to rob us of the joy and the fun," wrote a blogger identified by Gulf News as Mishaal. "It seems that the only thing left for us is to sit down and drink coffee."

Looks like someone who wants to get their 1,000 lashes.  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2015, 12:48:26 PM
Touchy.

No doubt.

But CC has a different perspective, what with being a product of a liberal western democratic heritage that, unlike Islam, makes certain cultural allowances, like masturbation and Sadie Hawkins dances.

Martinus

Quote"The ban, condoned by religious scholars, also covers models of people and animals made of sweets and paste, not just snow, if their facial features are clearly sculpted," Munajjid added. "This means that if the model has no head or the facial features are obliterated, then there is no ban on it."

Maybe their obsession with beheadings is some form of a desperate plea for broader artistic expression that just doesn't translate well to other cultures?  :hmm:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Martinus on January 14, 2015, 12:49:48 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 14, 2015, 12:08:48 PM
Quote from: Liep on January 14, 2015, 03:51:17 AM
So the only French comedian I've heard about has been arrested for saying: "Je suis Charlie Coulibaly." Dieudonne seems immediately like a douchebag, but arresting him for that comment might give the freedom of speech haters a reason to call France for hypocrites. :hmm:

EDIT: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/12/french-comedian-dieudonne-charlie-coulibaly-prosecutor

One would think it would be the defenders of free speech who would think this a bit hypocritical.   Freedom of speech haters would likely applaud silencing speech not deemed to be acceptable.

Well, I don't like it. As I said already, most of the leaders who were at the march come from countries which limit free speech.

Yes, you are firmly in the camp of supporting free speech so long as you agree with it.

Martinus

I meant I don't like France investigating that guy for saying something offensive.  :huh:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 14, 2015, 12:18:12 PM
QuoteAnd for those who were wondering, the prohibitions also apply to gingerbread men and other human-shaped winter treats.

Lol, I read about someone/group in the US wanting to ban gingerbread men because it was sexist, or at least ban the term. Maybe gingerbread person??   :D

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

And here is why Jesuits are the best! :pope:

The article, unfortunately in French only:

QuoteLa revue jésuite Etudes publie des caricatures de Charlie Hebdo
Etudes a publié sur son site Internet des caricatures de Charlie Hebdo visant l'Eglise catholique. Une manière de rendre hommage aux victimes de l'attentat et un trait d'humour audacieux de la part d'une revue jésuite.

La rédaction de la revue jésuite Etudes s'est associée à l'hommage aux victimes de l'attentat de Charlie Hebdo en publiant sur son site Internet des caricatures du journal saritique moquant l'Eglise catholique. Un geste fort de la part de la revue jésuite, qui enjoint de "ne pas céder à la peur" et plaide pour "une société plurielle."

Sur les quatres unes reproduites sur le site web d'Etudes, on peut voir le pape Benoît XVI dans les bras d'un garde suisse, avec la mention "Enfin libre", ou encore le pape François accoutré d'un slip à plumes rose, au carnaval de Rio, accompagné de ces mots : "Prêt à tout pour racoler des clients", en référence aux Journées mondiales de la Jeunesse qu'il a présidées en 2013 au Brésil.

"Nous avons fait le choix de mettre en ligne quelques caricatures de Charlie Hebdo qui se rapportent au catholicisme. C'est un signe de force que de pouvoir rire de certains traits de l'institution à laquelle nous appartenons, car c'est une manière de dire que ce à quoi nous sommes attachés est au-delà des formes toujours transitoires et imparfaites" écrit la rédaction. "L'humour dans la foi est un bon antidote au fanatisme et à un esprit de sérieux ayant tendance à tout prendre au pied de la lettre". Chapeau !

Read more at http://www.atlantico.fr/atlantico-light/revue-etudes-publie-caricatures-charlie-hebdo-1951536.html#pj8eretHAHeuCtrG.99

Executive summary:

A Jesuit magazine, "Etudes", publishes these cartoons by Charlie Hebdo:

with this commentary:

Quote"We have decided to put online a few cartoons of Charlie Hebdo that relate to Catholicism. It is a sign of strength to be able to laugh at some institution traits to which we belong, because it is a way to say that what we value is beyond the always transient and imperfect forms. The humor in faith is a good antidote to fanaticism and a spirit of seriousness tend to take everything literally."

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

You're more fickle-minded than a 12 year old girl, Marti.