News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

They are not funny, they are suppose to make you feel shame.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Well, someone needs to make Seedy feel shame.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 10:29:40 AM
QuoteIt's so very easy to defend the freedom of speech of those we agree with. It requires no particular courage or intellectual rigour.

I don't see how that's true. I think we'd still call it courageous if a media outlet had been threatened and attacked for something mainstream that we agreed with. Similarly people who frustrated aims of would be attackers of said hypothetical media outlet would also be looked upon as courageous. I suppose less "intellectual rigour" as you wouldn't have the cognitive dissonance factor of having to verbally support something that you despite - but that's about it as a difference.

It is easy to defend the right of someone to say something you agree with.  One's commitment to freedom of speech is tested when defending the right of someone to say something you don't agree with.  Pretty straight forward I would think.

Berkut

This is pretty easy for me, really.

I don't agree with CBs stance or how they go about trying to offend for the sake of offense.

So yeah, I guess I pass the "Will you defend the rights of people to say things you don't like" test.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Kind of odd that the US didn't even send Kerry to the Paris rally.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 10:53:18 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 12, 2015, 12:59:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2015, 12:49:04 AMIt's my understanding they tend toward crudeness.
Americans :lol:

But yes, they do:

It doesn't help that there's a loss in translation when it comes to American understanding of Hedbo, because Americans have no real equivalent to Charlie Hedbo cartoons over here.  They're more akin to an underground 'zine, or something an angry 13 year old would draw.  That, and they're simply not very funny, but I don't believe that's the point of them, even though you people laugh at them for some reason.  Then again, the French love Jerry Lewis too, so there you go.

There's a difference between editorial cartoonists and political satire cartoonists here as well.

I think it may be a cultural difference. I understand that for the French Charlie Hebdo has been a bit of a national institution.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2015, 11:06:00 AM
Well, someone needs to make Seedy feel shame.

He is a Catholic. He feels shame every time he has an erection.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 11:15:50 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2015, 10:53:18 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 12, 2015, 12:59:04 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2015, 12:49:04 AMIt's my understanding they tend toward crudeness.
Americans :lol:

But yes, they do:

It doesn't help that there's a loss in translation when it comes to American understanding of Hedbo, because Americans have no real equivalent to Charlie Hedbo cartoons over here.  They're more akin to an underground 'zine, or something an angry 13 year old would draw.  That, and they're simply not very funny, but I don't believe that's the point of them, even though you people laugh at them for some reason.  Then again, the French love Jerry Lewis too, so there you go.

There's a difference between editorial cartoonists and political satire cartoonists here as well.

I think it may be a cultural difference. I understand that for the French Charlie Hebdo has been a bit of a national institution.

It's their MAD Magazine. :yes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2015, 11:15:44 AM
Kind of odd that the US didn't even send Kerry to the Paris rally.

Maybe his Muslim boss didn't approve of the cartoons. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 12, 2015, 11:14:41 AM
This is pretty easy for me, really.

I don't agree with CBs stance or how they go about trying to offend for the sake of offense.

So yeah, I guess I pass the "Will you defend the rights of people to say things you don't like" test.

As I think would most of us.  But the further point being made by the Globe editorial is that defending their right to say it does not also include repeating what they said.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 12, 2015, 11:02:37 AM
You are not the intended audience.

Then I don't see the reason for being critical of Americans for not "getting" it, or not republishing the cartoons in solidarity, fraternité, etc.

I don't think not publishing Andrea Merkel shaving her snatch on the front page of the Cleveland Plain Dealer is a justified excuse to take a shot at American's so-called "freedom of speech", either.