News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:57:41 PM
In light of this despicable massacre of innocent journalist just doing their job, I'd like to invite one or two posters here to reconsider their attitude towards the killing of A'l-Jazerra journalists in the Afghanistan and during the Iraq invasion.

Not entirely sure, but I think my attitude at the time was that being a war correspondent is an inherently dangerous job, and it's not terribly uncommon for people to get killed doing it.  Probably mentioned something about Ernie Pyle and the old G.I. joke about bullets according war reporters the same respect they give a Lt. General.

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 08, 2015, 08:35:10 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 06:58:12 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:56:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:54:31 PM
Shall we guess it's all sweetness and light, cherry tree blossom, singing folk songs with their teachers, until they leave school and experience the soul destroying experience of having to be an adult?

Sounds like an anime.
I wouldn't mind watching that: leading terrorists as competitive schoolgirls :mellow:
There's a wildly popular anime right now where an alien destroys 70% of the Moon in a display of power and demands to be allowed to teach at a high school for a year or he'll destroy the earth. One of the classes he will be teaching is the art of assassination. If the students fail to assassinate him by the end of the year he'll destroy the Earth anyways.

EDIT: There's also an older anime classic that has a child soldier vet of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan acting as the bodyguard of a highschool student with psychic powers, foiling kidnapping attempts by North Korean agents, terrorists, etc.  Hilarity ensues as the 18 year old who spent the last ten years in Afghanistan (he was stuck there after his dad died on a business trip IIRC) tries to navigate the social landscape of a typical Japanese high school

Tim ties in anime FTW.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Mongers seems to have a fetish for trying to make people feel bad about things they said (or maybe even didn't say) in the past.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 08:51:29 PM
Tim ties in anime FTW.

That had fuck all to do with anything being discussed in this thread.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2015, 08:53:23 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 08:51:29 PM
Tim ties in anime FTW.

That had fuck all to do with anything being discussed in this thread.

Never stooped him before.  :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 07:46:43 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 07:42:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 07:37:18 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 07:32:08 PMFirst reports about their perfect pro organisation were off the mark.
I saw this at the time from people I follow on Twitter. Basically they suggested our image of a stereotype (as a social loser who's managed to to pull it off) is so low that even the slightest show of competence and we think they're pros :lol:

I was somewhat confused by some of yesterdays coverage, "Look at the grouping, these guys are professional killers ...."  "They have to be expert/experience, given how AK47s jump all over the place when fired".

I guess people like 11B4V will be able to tell us what degree of training, practices is necessary is become proficient at firing an AK47, not necessarily to military standards, but enough to massacre civilians.

Point in the general direction and pull the trigger. Not hard.

Apparently short, controlled bursts are indicative of of some sort of training.  Not like derspiess going cyclic and blowing back the treeline.  Or the neighbor's house.  Or the neighbor's golden retriever.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 08:54:56 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 07:46:43 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 07:42:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 07:37:18 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 07:32:08 PMFirst reports about their perfect pro organisation were off the mark.
I saw this at the time from people I follow on Twitter. Basically they suggested our image of a stereotype (as a social loser who's managed to to pull it off) is so low that even the slightest show of competence and we think they're pros :lol:

I was somewhat confused by some of yesterdays coverage, "Look at the grouping, these guys are professional killers ...."  "They have to be expert/experience, given how AK47s jump all over the place when fired".

I guess people like 11B4V will be able to tell us what degree of training, practices is necessary is become proficient at firing an AK47, not necessarily to military standards, but enough to massacre civilians.

Point in the general direction and pull the trigger. Not hard.

Apparently short, controlled bursts are indicative of of some sort of training.  Not like derspiess going cyclic and blowing back the treeline.  Or the neighbor's house.  Or the neighbor's golden retriever.

He asked enough to massacre civilians.

Sheilbh

Yeah to be fair I bet it's easy to look like a pro against a 70-something cartoonist.
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

I'd say that there's some difference between having some proficiency and actually being a professional.

CountDeMoney

Enough to massacre civilians, though?  I'd say an hour at the range, and some multiplayer time in Battlefield4 with Aim Assist disabled.

Monoriu

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 08, 2015, 08:35:10 PM
There's a wildly popular anime right now where an alien destroys 70% of the Moon in a display of power and demands to be allowed to teach at a high school for a year or he'll destroy the earth. One of the classes he will be teaching is the art of assassination. If the students fail to assassinate him by the end of the year he'll destroy the Earth anyways.

EDIT: There's also an older anime classic that has a child soldier vet of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan acting as the bodyguard of a highschool student with psychic powers, foiling kidnapping attempts by North Korean agents, terrorists, etc.  Hilarity ensues as the 18 year old who spent the last ten years in Afghanistan (he was stuck there after his dad died on a business trip IIRC) tries to navigate the social landscape of a typical Japanese high school

First one is Assassination Classroom which will start airing either this week or the next one, and I will watch it.

Second one is Full Metal Panic?  :unsure:  If so, it has been sitting on my HDD forever. 

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2015, 08:54:56 PM
Apparently short, controlled bursts are indicative of of some sort of training.

Pretty much.

QuoteNot like derspiess going cyclic and blowing back the treeline.  Or the neighbor's house.  Or the neighbor's golden retriever.

Funny you should mention that.  I did set up a small range in the back yard for Tommy & me to shoot his new Red Ryder BB gun.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 08, 2015, 09:00:58 PM
I did set up a small range in the back yard for Tommy & me to shoot his new Red Ryder BB gun.

That shit ended for me the day Dad found a BB lodged in the house siding.   :lol:

dps

Seedy, can you lower the hammer on Timmay for fucking up this thread with his anime bullshit? 

Shit, if he wants to derail a thread, he should do it the right way with an ACW hijack.

CountDeMoney