Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Jacob

Quote from: Warspite on January 08, 2015, 07:11:52 PM
You'll be pleased to know that the people whose job it is to protect us from terrorists and those who seriously study the issue spend a lot of time studying this.

I am pleased :)

QuoteSo much of the literature on radicalisation is freely available it's a surprise why a lot of the Internet debate is not itself more nuanced.

Clearly you're joking. You're not actually surprised, are you?

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 08, 2015, 07:26:52 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 07:25:16 PM
Unpleasant.

I can be annoying also.

It's good to have marketable skills.

My post was directed at mongers, in any case.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 06:53:46 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 06:34:09 PM
This reminds me what the government said about the previous Christmas attacks, it's only a series of isolated incidents committed by lunatics. One should not stigmatise.
Well they are isolated in a sense. There's no grand plan at work. But all of the recent attacks in France (and the Sidney siege) remind me of school shootings.

It's a different sort of terrorism than strapping a bomb to yourself. I think it's probably more difficult to catch in the early stages and probably more likely to inspire copycat attacks immediately afterwards. As I said before I find the attacks in France, Canada and Australia more unsettling and scary than the London or Madrid bombings.

You should tell that to the French government.
As for the attacks being scarier, that's a perception so it's not right or wrong per se but I don't find them more unsettling and scary. The opposite actually.
But then you have terrorists forgetting an ID card , drop a sneaker (tracksuit was safe I guess) and then pick it up again. Not to mention the bender fender near Colonel Fabien square (after the attack) and then forgetting clips/magazines first in the car for their Kalashnikovs and losing again some time to get them. First reports about their perfect pro organisation were off the mark.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 07:32:08 PMFirst reports about their perfect pro organisation were off the mark.
I saw this at the time from people I follow on Twitter. Basically they suggested our image of a stereotype (as a social loser who's managed to to pull it off) is so low that even the slightest show of competence and we think they're pros :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 07:37:18 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 07:32:08 PMFirst reports about their perfect pro organisation were off the mark.
I saw this at the time from people I follow on Twitter. Basically they suggested our image of a stereotype (as a social loser who's managed to to pull it off) is so low that even the slightest show of competence and we think they're pros :lol:

I was somewhat confused by some of yesterdays coverage, "Look at the grouping, these guys are professional killers ...."  "They have to be expert/experience, given how AK47s jump all over the place when fired".

I guess people like 11B4V will be able to tell us what degree of training, practices is necessary is become proficient at firing an AK47, not necessarily to military standards, but enough to massacre civilians.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 07:42:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 07:37:18 PM

I was somewhat confused by some of yesterdays coverage, "Look at the grouping, these guys are professional killers ...."  "They have to be expert/experience, given how AK47s jump all over the place when fired".

I guess people like 11B4V will be able to tell us what degree of training, practices is necessary is become proficient at firing an AK47, not necessarily to military standards, but enough to massacre civilians.

Point in the general direction and pull the trigger. Not hard.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 08, 2015, 06:54:27 PM
Siege chose the Academia Real (sic) and they don't list compay  :contract:
So much for you speaking Castilian and not some latin american "spanish".  :(
Besides, compay is at best for both compadre and compañero so still no synonym, just a a homograph.

It's a Cuban word.  And I don't use it myself.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 08, 2015, 06:58:12 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 08, 2015, 06:56:31 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 06:54:31 PM
Shall we guess it's all sweetness and light, cherry tree blossom, singing folk songs with their teachers, until they leave school and experience the soul destroying experience of having to be an adult?

Sounds like an anime.
I wouldn't mind watching that: leading terrorists as competitive schoolgirls :mellow:
There's a wildly popular anime right now where an alien destroys 70% of the Moon in a display of power and demands to be allowed to teach at a high school for a year or he'll destroy the earth. One of the classes he will be teaching is the art of assassination. If the students fail to assassinate him by the end of the year he'll destroy the Earth anyways.

EDIT: There's also an older anime classic that has a child soldier vet of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan acting as the bodyguard of a highschool student with psychic powers, foiling kidnapping attempts by North Korean agents, terrorists, etc.  Hilarity ensues as the 18 year old who spent the last ten years in Afghanistan (he was stuck there after his dad died on a business trip IIRC) tries to navigate the social landscape of a typical Japanese high school
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point