News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

11 dead in French satirical magazine shooting

Started by Brazen, January 07, 2015, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2015, 03:49:14 PM
Meh, Siege, I think the West is strong with its "weakness". That's how we win. It may not be spectacular but it works. Just look what happened to Russia.

What happened to Russia was about economics.  It had nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2015, 03:50:41 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2015, 03:49:14 PM
Meh, Siege, I think the West is strong with its "weakness". That's how we win. It may not be spectacular but it works. Just look what happened to Russia.

What happened to Russia was about economics.  It had nothing to do with freedom of speech.

Aha.

Siege

What happened to the woman they forced to open the building for them?
What a fucking coward.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on January 08, 2015, 03:19:23 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 11:37:46 AM
This thread is a hoot. Only thing missing is Grumbler. :lol:

Too busy popping and eating popcorn.  The thread is a hoot - it even forced The Brain to make a serious post!

Goddammit!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 03:54:26 PM
Compañero is more like partner, mate or companion than comrade which exists in Spanish as camarada as well.

Your Sefaradi-Judeo-Castillian connection is getting weaker and weaker, compañero.  :contract:

Whoa, whoa, slow down. My command of the Iberian languages is unmatched even in the Academia Real.
Companero and camarado are synonyms.
And so is companera and camarada, in the female gender.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jacob

Quote from: Siege on January 08, 2015, 04:13:04 PM
What happened to the woman they forced to open the building for them?
What a fucking coward.

Apparently she had her young child with her when they threatened her.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on January 08, 2015, 04:13:45 PM

Too busy popping and eating popcorn.  The thread is a hoot - it even forced The Brain to make a serious post!

Goddammit!

I think everyone is tuckered out for now. :P
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Liep

Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 04:50:58 PM

The news isn't. They just had a live debate between all 8 political party leaders about freedom of speech, which I avoided. But Martin Krasnik is tearing into the liberal yahoo that is the chief editor of Politiken right now. Good stuff.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

11B4V

Quote from: Liep on January 08, 2015, 04:53:59 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 08, 2015, 04:50:58 PM

The news isn't. They just had a live debate between all 8 political party leaders about freedom of speech, which I avoided. But Martin Krasnik is tearing into the liberal yahoo that is the chief editor of Politiken right now. Good stuff.

It's the sensationalism they live for.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Habbaku

Quote from: Siege on January 08, 2015, 04:47:44 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 07, 2015, 03:54:26 PM
Compañero is more like partner, mate or companion than comrade which exists in Spanish as camarada as well.

Your Sefaradi-Judeo-Castillian connection is getting weaker and weaker, compañero.  :contract:

My command of the Iberian languages is unmatched even in the Academia Real.

:lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2015, 10:28:38 AM
Poverty alone, no.

Poverty plus a sense of exclusion from mainstream society - closer.

Poverty plus a sense of exclusion from mainstream society plus some sort of ideological rallying cry - closer still.

Point being that, when one has a population that does not consider itself part of the mainstream, you have the breeding ground that makes it more likely that violence will happen - one far more ready to be receptive to the message of ideological nutcases.
Yep. As I mentioned I started reading The French Intifada over the weekend and it's seriously grim.

QuoteThere is this difference though: overall, fundie nutters *want* there to be more conflict, while the rest of us want *less* conflict. That's the reason behind the unreason of terrorism. A terrorist laughs every time someone in the West is encouraged by his acts to become a Grallon.
It's the whole heighten the contradictions view. The best book on terrorism is still The Secret Agent. And there's very little that seems new from anarchism.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Chin-chin!  Do carry on with your mud pies.

*pops more popcorn*

No surprise that Grumbler should find enjoyment in the suffering of others*.   :rolleyes:

* And trust me I've suffered a fair bit, having read all 20+ pages of the thread, 'contributing' some of it myself.  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Christians from the Middle East live in large numbers in Sweden. And yet people who make satirical Jesus-drawings and similar don't routinely face violence and death. So I hardly think poverty and ghetto living make terrorist acts happen.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: mongers on January 08, 2015, 05:06:13 PM

Chin-chin!  Do carry on with your mud pies.

*pops more popcorn*

No surprise that Grumbler should find enjoyment in the suffering of others*.   :rolleyes:

* And trust me I've suffered a fair bit, having read all 20+ pages of the thread, 'contributing' some of it myself.   :P

I'd rather lite Raz on fire than do that. ;)

Malthus

Quote from: The Brain on January 08, 2015, 05:07:23 PM
Christians from the Middle East live in large numbers in Sweden. And yet people who make satirical Jesus-drawings and similar don't routinely face violence and death. So I hardly think poverty and ghetto living make terrorist acts happen.

That's two serious posts in one thread.

Another, and concerned folks will send the ambulance.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius