Main Menu

Europe's Populist Left

Started by Sheilbh, January 04, 2015, 12:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2015, 06:56:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2015, 02:32:41 PM
:w00t:

I really hope they manage to pull this off.

What would managing to pull this off look like?

I hope they do exactly what they promised to do.

"Pulling it off", to me, would be to successfully renegotiate the terms on their debt such that government could move from austerity to stimulus and materially improve the conditions for a number of Greeks.

I believe that's what they campaigned on as well.

Admiral Yi

Do you hope this happens?  Would you like Germany et al to lend Greece more money that will not get paid back?

Razgovory

Wouldn't they be able to pay back the debt if they used the money to kickstart the economy thus increasing revenue?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Won't happen as long as all the liquidity in Europe is actively trying to escape to the US.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2015, 07:13:12 PM
Do you hope this happens?  Would you like Germany et al to lend Greece more money that will not get paid back?

I hope it turns out the best possible way for all involved :)

How and what that is likely to happen, I'm not so sure.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2015, 07:17:58 PM
Wouldn't they be able to pay back the debt if they used the money to kickstart the economy thus increasing revenue?

The bond market doesn't appear to think so.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2015, 07:26:14 PM

The Gods have spoken.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2015, 07:26:14 PM

What is your wise and eminent suggestion?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2015, 07:45:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2015, 07:44:34 PM

Default.

The historical solution. Started by the Greeks themselves 24 centuries ago.

Razgovory

Well that's what Argentina did after its austerity program.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2015, 07:45:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 27, 2015, 07:44:34 PM

Default.

Default and stay with the Euro, or default and go back to the Drachma?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on January 27, 2015, 07:52:09 PM
Default and stay with the Euro, or default and go back to the Drachma?

I would go with the drachma.  The contrasting recoveries of the UK and the US have shown that it is much easier to return to full employment when real wages can be reduced through inflation.

CountDeMoney

I for one am glad to see the Greeks willing to take charge and control of their own situation, rather than be dictated to by a bunch of snooty Europeans whose loathing for them is exceeded only by the Turks, and who don't even want them in the euro zone in the first place. 

Go Greek.  Rush Alpha Phi Alpha.  Ouzo and date rape for all.

MadImmortalMan

Hopefully they figure out how to collect taxes at some point. That will help.