News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europe's Populist Left

Started by Sheilbh, January 04, 2015, 12:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2015, 05:21:50 PM
Meh, most politicians here who are branded as "populists" earn that title simply by doing things that are perceived as being popular rather than grounded in policy.  So, like others have said, populist = successful politician.  We have had a few successful politicians who are more policy wonks than "populists" but they are probably the exceptions that prove the rule.  The next Federal election in Canada will be interesting as it will involve two policy wonks (on opposite sides of the political spectrum) and a centrist populist.

I really hope one of the two policy wonks wins.

I agree that Trudeau is trying to be more populist than Mulcair and Harper, but I don't think he's quite there. He, in my view, aspires to at least the appearance of having a solid wonkish core, even if he isn't convincing you :)

I disagree that "populist = successful politician". I think Harper is very successful, but he's not a populist from my PoV. There are populist elements of the PC, especially some of the Reform people back in the day, but I can't think of any extremely populist (as opposed to popular) politicians in recent times.

To me, one of the core elements of populism is a rejection of the judgement of the experts and the establishment, and I'm not really seeing politicians doing that around here. Even Harper stifling the expression of various public scientists etc is not doing it as a populist - there's no rejection of their insight or authority and appeal to the PoV of "the common person", it's just straight up defunding and muzzling which is different IMO.

Martinus

I think an overreaching definition of populism is "presenting a simple answer to a complex problem". Populists are useful that way as they force a problem to be discussed (as opposed to ignored) but can be dangerous if the mainstream fails to engage or, worse, tries to outbid populists in the populism game.

UKIP, Syriza and Tea Party are all populist and it is really easy to spot common traits between them, despite what Yi says.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 06, 2015, 12:20:04 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2015, 05:21:50 PM
Meh, most politicians here who are branded as "populists" earn that title simply by doing things that are perceived as being popular rather than grounded in policy.  So, like others have said, populist = successful politician.  We have had a few successful politicians who are more policy wonks than "populists" but they are probably the exceptions that prove the rule.  The next Federal election in Canada will be interesting as it will involve two policy wonks (on opposite sides of the political spectrum) and a centrist populist.

I really hope one of the two policy wonks wins.

I disagree that "populist = successful politician". I think Harper is very successful, but he's not a populist from my PoV. There are populist elements of the PC, especially some of the Reform people back in the day, but I can't think of any extremely populist (as opposed to popular) politicians in recent times.

You missed my meaning.  Populists are those that do things that they think will be popular despite what good policy might dictate.  Therefore populist tends to equal successful because people tend to vote for politicians who do popular things.  However we do have some successful politicians who succeed in spite of the fact they are not popular or populists.  No one would ever accuse Harper of being popular in any sense of that word.   But he is successful because people tend to look past his unpopularity to the policy wonkiness.

Zanza

QuoteGreece election: Exit polls suggest Syriza win

Exit polls suggest a historic victory for the anti-austerity Syriza party in Greece's closely fought general election.

One poll suggested Syriza took 35.5% of the votes, and the other suggested it took 39.5%, well ahead of the ruling New Democracy party on 23%-27%.

It is unclear whether Syriza has enough votes to govern the country alone.

Syriza's Alexis Tsipras has pledged to renegotiate Greece's debt arrangement with international creditors.

Far-right Golden Dawn and centrist The River came joint third in both exit polls.

The proportion of votes won by smaller parties will have a large impact on whether Syriza can gain the required 151 parliamentary seats to have an absolute majority.

Let's see what they can do.

Martinus

What I dislike in some of the narratives on this, especially coming from the European left, is that this is being presented as an opposition between "democratically elected" Syriza and "European elites" (represented by Angela Merkel). Merkel won democratic elections as much as Syriza has, and I presume her insistence on the austerity policy has wide support of her voters. You can argue which side is right and which is wrong, but none is more or less "democratic".

Zanza

Merkel will probably win in 2017 again. Let's see if Syriza can get reelected once they have to take real responsibility and deliver results.

Martinus

I just read their 40 point programme.

It's a heady mix of a few good ideas, some terrible ones and a lot of wishful thinking. They should have gone the whole hog and promise extending average lifespan by 50 years, giving everybody a satisfying sex life and developing the cure for cancer. Though, I suppose they had to leave something for the second term.

Jacob

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on January 27, 2015, 12:28:26 PM
Syriza is pro gay marriage.

/Marti/ I just read their 40 point programme.

It's a heady mix of a few good ideas the best ideas I have ever seen, some terrible ones and a lot of wishful thinking. /Marti/

Eddie Teach

Marty is only pro-gay marriage if it comes with an ironclad prenup.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 27, 2015, 01:53:29 PM

So he is a sensible person?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 27, 2015, 01:53:29 PM

Well I ain't sayin' he's a gold digger
But he ain't messin' with no broke Wiktors

Sheilbh

:w00t:

I really hope they manage to pull this off.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 27, 2015, 02:32:41 PM
:w00t:

I really hope they manage to pull this off.

Indeed.

The young people of that country deserve a chance.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

To my mind, what is central to "populism" is that it is based on some version of the wisdom of the common person being superior to the dictates of elites and experts (of whatever stripe).

Supporters of "populists" tend to think of them as standing up for the interests of the majority of the people - the best example of democracy in action.

Opponents of "populists" use the term as a perjorative, meaning essentially pandering to the ignorance of the lowest common denominator, flying in the face of reason and evidence.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius