News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, what happened to ebola?

Started by Martinus, January 03, 2015, 04:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2015, 12:17:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2015, 03:38:50 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 03, 2015, 03:18:32 PM
Read through history before modern medicine. Yes there were global outbreaks like the Black Death or Plague of Justinian, but far more common were regional outbreaks that killed some percent of the population and went away.

I'm not saying that local efforts weren't important. But here we are talking about the first world media, which frequently had the tone, "west africa is fucked, probably all of africa, and maybe us too." That probably got more western support over there, but in a multi country area I doubt that was more decisive than local messaging of avoiding frequent modes of transmission. "The West saved the Africans from their Ebola" seems a dubious claim.

A lot of diseases flair up and die out because people build up immunity over time.  My understanding is people don't build up immunity naturally to ebola.

Not quite accurate.  The difficulty is the high mortality rate.  But if someone manages to survive an infection they do build up an immunity.  That is the premise of the vaccine (developed in Canada) which is currently being tested in human trials. 

Ahem it was initially developed in Canada.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Put it this way- if the vaccine was developed in the US, I wouldn't feel the need to mention that every time I brought it up.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2015, 12:30:51 PM
Put it this way- if the vaccine was developed in the US, I wouldn't feel the need to mention that every time I brought it up.  :P

:)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2015, 12:30:51 PM

Ok, one of our gun nuts thought the US had developed the "cure" which is why I mentioned it.

Also, it excuses Yi to some extent as he probably hasn't heard of the vaccine given the inward looking nature of media in the US.

Eddie Teach

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/01-october-2014/en/

According to this page, there's both a Canadian developed vaccine and a US developed one in the experimental stages. Maybe he was referring to the other one.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2015, 12:39:48 PM

According to this page, there's both a Canadian developed vaccine and a US developed one in the experimental stages. Maybe he was referring to the other one.

And the Canadian originating one is currently being developed between an Iowa based company and an American multi-national.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2015, 12:43:30 PM

And the Canadian originating one is currently being developed between an Iowa based company and an American multi-national.

By developed you mean tested....

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2015, 01:09:01 PM

No, I mean developed. That's the word that most media outlets used to Merck's acquisition.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2015, 01:18:01 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2015, 01:09:01 PM

No, I mean developed. That's the word that most media outlets used to Merck's acquisition.

Ok.  When Merck acquired it, it was ready for human testing.  All that is happening now is that an independent lab is determining its efficacy and potential side effects.  Not much "development" being done by Merck at this point other than paying for the independent lab to do the testing. 

garbon

Which means it was necessary to note that Canada was once involved because...?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2015, 01:27:49 PM
Which means it was necessary to note that Canada was once involved because...?

Because without the Canadian lab developing the vaccine to the stage that it was ready for human trials Merck would have had nothing.

garbon

And what relevance did this have to your post? :unsure:

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on January 05, 2015, 01:36:01 PM
And what relevance did this have to your post? :unsure:

Why so obtuse garbo?  People tend to forget that Canada produces much besides oil and hockey players, so we like to toot our own horn about stuff like this. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.