News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, what happened to ebola?

Started by Martinus, January 03, 2015, 04:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Britain's got its first case.

Also, apparently, we fucked up in Sierra Leone compared to the French and the Americans. To an extent it was a government problem, to a far larger extent it was charities taking on work they really shouldn't have (Save the Children's been especially criticised).
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

The media over-sensationalizes everything and Timmay eats it right up.  Nothing new there.

The Brain

If it had been iBola instead of eBola it would have been a bigger hit.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: dps on January 03, 2015, 01:20:56 PM
The media over-sensationalizes everything and Timmay eats it right up.  Nothing new there.

I was surprised by how nobody close to the cases registered in the West (spouses, etc...) got infected. Looks like this thing isn't really *that* contagious until it gets to an advanced stage, so proper hospitalization, isolation, and corpse disposal procedures seem enough to significantly help containment.

The Brain

So medieval mumbo-jumbo isn't the best way??!? :o
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

White people stopped getting it and it became clear that it wasn't Obama's fault, so normal people and Fox news stopped caring.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Tim was keeping tabs long before American media cared.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2015, 01:49:21 PM

American media cared before the first US case showed up and the cable channels went into 24 hour frenzy mode.  Take a look at the original ebola thread and Timmy's links.

alfred russel

The only exponential growth we get is in the volume of bullshit.

First, a bunch of projections get made by organizations that stand to get funding in the case of an expected crisis.

Second, the news media reports the most alarmist of those projections in order to generate clicks.

Third, Tim, who apparently scans every news article in the world, brings us only the most sensational of the news stories.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

I don't think that's fair.  Part of the reason ebola didn't go full apocalypse is because of the over reaction.

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2015, 02:39:23 PM
I don't think that's fair.  Part of the reason ebola didn't go full apocalypse is because of the over reaction.

Maybe. But ebola has been around a really long time and hasn't gone full apocalypse yet. This isn't the first outbreak (even if the most serious). Most disease outbreaks stop short of full global armageddon, and that was true before modern medicine.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Admiral Yi

Most disease outbreaks stop short of species eradication because we do stuff about them.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2015, 02:07:41 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 03, 2015, 01:49:21 PM

American media cared before the first US case showed up and the cable channels went into 24 hour frenzy mode.  Take a look at the original ebola thread and Timmy's links.

Oh, I know they covered it, but until somebody popped up with it in the US it was always being treated as "shit happens in Africa".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 03, 2015, 02:48:25 PM
Most disease outbreaks stop short of species eradication because we do stuff about them.

In this case, I'm not sure how it would have become an epidemic in first world countries. I'm also not sure that western aid was decisive in preventing a really serious African epidemic.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on January 03, 2015, 02:57:53 PM
In this case, I'm not sure how it would have become an epidemic in first world countries. I'm also not sure that western aid was decisive in preventing a really serious African epidemic.

1. Thousands contract the disease in a few weeks.

2.  Half of them die.

3. ?

4. Profit?