NFL Postseason Megathread: Playoffs in the Post-Orton Era

Started by CountDeMoney, December 29, 2014, 02:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

A friend of mine put it this way, and I have to agree with him:

There is a big difference between submitting a ball to the refs that you inflated low in the hopes they don't catch or correct it, and actually deflating the ball AFTER they certified it.

There is a big difference between giving someone an extra shove as the whistle blows to end the play, and stomping on their balls while walking past them.

There is a big difference between trying to get the most possible advantage at the "edges" of the rules, and outright flouting the rules and attacking the integrity of the game because you don't care about the rules at all.

edit: Or rather, the set of people who actually care about sports and sportsmanship and other silly words like "integrity" and such crap think there is a big difference. YMMV.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 14, 2015, 08:43:34 AM
LOL whatever. Deflating the ball is like stealing signs or reading the other coach's lips or loads of other ways teams have been engaging in shenanigans to win forever. It is not like they were caught pumping up players with illegal drugs or bribing officials or something. Geez what a bunch of self-righteous bores you guys are. Actually most NFL fans are. No wonder it is the No Fun League.

They got caught they will pay their penalty. This, to me, is like Fred Biletnikoff covering himself in stick-em. Are you going to lead a dreary and self-righteous crusade to get his trophy renamed next?

You are just pulling Berkut's chain, right?  You can't really think that fining a man $2 million with no evidence of guilt is wrong, do you?

Read Berkut's post below:  possibly deflating footballs is the equivalent of stomping on the balls of a man.

Issuing a report that is bogus on the face of it (deflating 12 footballs to a precise illegal pressure in 100 seconds?  Must be possible because the case collapses if you question this impossibility) isn't like stomping on a man's balls, its like giving every mindless hater a shot of adrenaline, and therfor righteous.

But, like I said, this case is going to collapse as soon as there is an impartial evaluation of that bullshit "report."  Anyone with an ounce of impartiality can see that it stinks to high heaven.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

OK, so I guess grumbler wasn't yanking my chain. Wow.

0 rows returned

Neil

Quote from: Berkut on May 14, 2015, 10:14:40 AM
No, he was.  And you just took the bait again.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Quote from: Neil on May 14, 2015, 10:21:04 AM
No, he was.  And you just took the bait again.

I hope you are right. I would much rather believe that I am that gullible than the alternative.

0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

I assume with these posts that you are just yanking my chain.  No one could objectively look at that report, which uses and rejects referee judgments and best recollections as it suits the prosecution's case, and say "that is fair and reasonable."

But I am willing to let time pass the judgement.  No one can make the purple Drazi see how silly the Purple values are.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: sbr on May 13, 2015, 09:15:24 PM
The punishment is absurd; however, if the only reason the balls were under pressure was the Ideal Gas Law why did the Patriots suspend the ballboys indefinitely without pay?

They couldn't suspend the laws of physics, the ballboys were the next best thing.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 14, 2015, 11:18:15 AM
Quote from: sbr on May 13, 2015, 09:15:24 PM
The punishment is absurd; however, if the only reason the balls were under pressure was the Ideal Gas Law why did the Patriots suspend the ballboys indefinitely without pay?

They couldn't suspend the laws of physics, the ballboys were the next best thing.

I don't think the Patriots even have any ball boys in the offseason.  Or, to put it another way, they seem to have suspended their ball boys indefinitely without pay for the same reason every other NFL team did so, but for them the fact is portrayed as nefarious.

Bayraktar!

sbr

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on May 14, 2015, 02:20:50 PM
I'm not certain, but I doubt other teams inform the Commissioner when they lay their ballboys off in the off-season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/14/the-patriots-fired-the-guys-theyre-passionately-defending-today/

McNally was a gameday temp.  He wasn't getting paid a thing in the offseason, so his "suspension" means status quo.  I don't know if Jastremski is a full-time employee or not, but the league is the organization announcing their suspension and that they cannot be re-employed in any role having to do with preparing footballs.  Why gig the Patriots for this?

Neither of these guys are ballboys, by the way. 

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on May 14, 2015, 08:25:39 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 14, 2015, 02:20:34 AM
Three other teams in  the last few years have been caught altering the ball. One team got a $20k slap on the wrist and two weren't punished at all. How about a little consistency?

Those other teams did not engage in a concerted and willfull attempt to cheat in a manner they knew was illegal, nor did they attempt to cover up their actions and lie about it under investigation.
The Chargers did cover up their actions and obstructed the NFL's investigation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 14, 2015, 05:11:09 PM
The Chargers did cover up their actions and obstructed the NFL's investigation.

The Chargers didn't win the Super Bowl.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?