NFL Postseason Megathread: Playoffs in the Post-Orton Era

Started by CountDeMoney, December 29, 2014, 02:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 26, 2015, 01:35:52 PM
Quote from: frunk on March 26, 2015, 01:24:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 26, 2015, 12:32:01 PM
I like the fact that there is a low risk (extra point) and high risk (2 point) option coaches have to choose from depending on game circumstances.

The success rate is 99.5%.  That's not low risk, that's no risk in terms of sports.  If you want the choice between the two it would be easier to just give the extra point without the kick or go for the conversion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTGco82JKHo&feature=player_embedded
That was a soul crushing miss.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on March 26, 2015, 09:27:27 PM
Is it worth the 10 hours a year of regular season games that are used for extra points to have it make a difference once every 5 years?

OMG will we ever get those 2 minutes a game back? Please it would just be substituted for 2 more minutes of ads.

But yes the excitement is strategic, will they kick for an almost automatic one or go for two? What if they fake it?

Instead lets substitute brainless bullshit and cheap corny thrills. That is what the XFL is all about. That must be why it was so successful eh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on March 26, 2015, 01:24:11 PM
The success rate is 99.5%.  That's not low risk, that's no risk in terms of sports.  If you want the choice between the two it would be easier to just give the extra point without the kick or go for the conversion.

So less football and more ads or a situation where you know for sure they are going for two? Fun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tonitrus

Make the 2-point conversion idea a more attractive option over the kick, put 'em back on the 10-yard line and up the points 4.

Put that fear of "shit, it's almost like a TD and an FG in one!" fear into the defending coach.

alfred russel

Considering the lack of effort most people show on extra points (besides the center, holder, and kicker), I'm surprised that we don't see more fakes. Those defensive linemen that just stand up when the ball is snapped seem ripe to get blocked into the endzone ff the offensive line ever fired off the ball. A team with an athletic holder (ie not the punter) should be able to take advantage.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Syt

I think making it a 3 point conversion might help making it more of a tough choice. 2 point conversions seem to me (extreme lay person) very situational at best.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on March 26, 2015, 11:20:34 PM
Considering the lack of effort most people show on extra points (besides the center, holder, and kicker), I'm surprised that we don't see more fakes. Those defensive linemen that just stand up when the ball is snapped seem ripe to get blocked into the endzone ff the offensive line ever fired off the ball. A team with an athletic holder (ie not the punter) should be able to take advantage.
Yeah, I remember when the Ravens blew out the Steelers on opening Sunday in 2011, and they had just scored a TD to go up 27-7.  They line up for the extra point, see that the Steelers are napping, and then have the punter rush it in for 2.  I laughed.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2015, 11:06:40 PM

OMG will we ever get those 2 minutes a game back? Please it would just be substituted for 2 more minutes of ads.

But yes the excitement is strategic, will they kick for an almost automatic one or go for two? What if they fake it?

Instead lets substitute brainless bullshit and cheap corny thrills. That is what the XFL is all about. That must be why it was so successful eh?

I want to remove brainless bullshit.  Do you actually watch each extra point attempt with anticipation and excitement?  I would be amazed if there is anybody who does that.

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: frunk on March 27, 2015, 08:39:33 AM
I want to remove brainless bullshit.  Do you actually watch each extra point attempt with anticipation and excitement?  I would be amazed if there is anybody who does that.

When it is my team? Yeah I watch it. I don't want them to F it up, the Redskins do not exactly light up the scoreboard as it is. Every point counts. But then I actually care about the outcome of the game and the teams playing, I am not watching for cheap thrills.

When they were good it is more of a celebration of the fact we just scored. Though back in those days there was no 2-point conversion hehe.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on March 27, 2015, 07:45:47 AM
Yeah, I remember when the Ravens blew out the Steelers on opening Sunday in 2011, and they had just scored a TD to go up 27-7.  They line up for the extra point, see that the Steelers are napping, and then have the punter rush it in for 2.  I laughed.

Good times.

frunk

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2015, 08:49:25 AM

When it is my team? Yeah I watch it. I don't want them to F it up, the Redskins do not exactly light up the scoreboard as it is. Every point counts. But then I actually care about the outcome of the game and the teams playing, I am not watching for cheap thrills.

When they were good it is more of a celebration of the fact we just scored. Though back in those days there was no 2-point conversion hehe.

Compare that to how closely you watch every other play from scrimmage, or even kick offs.  Just as interested, more interested or less interested?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 27, 2015, 08:49:25 AM
Quote from: frunk on March 27, 2015, 08:39:33 AM

I say we have jugglers and fireworks on the field in between plays.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I'm finger banging the waitresses at Hooters during extra points
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall