NFL Postseason Megathread: Playoffs in the Post-Orton Era

Started by CountDeMoney, December 29, 2014, 02:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on January 04, 2015, 07:53:16 PM
What part of the defender has to be playing the ball are you having difficulty grasping?

Faceguarding isn't a thing in the NFL.

PDH

Seeing as how a stiff arm to the face mask is a penalty these days, players should be leery about grabbing it any time - even their own, the refs might throw a 15 yard penalty when all they are doing is fixing their helmet.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

@MBM You're not even making sense anymore.  You keep on with an opinion that is shared by no one other than Cowboy honks and have a nice night.

MadBurgerMaker

QuoteSeeing as how a stiff arm to the face mask is a penalty these days, players should be leery about grabbing it any time - even their own, the refs might throw a 15 yard penalty when all they are doing is fixing their helmet.

It probably shouldn't have been called at all, or should have been offsetting if they wanted to get that LB for swiping the arm away, but either way, Detroit still had their chance and bitched out.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on January 04, 2015, 07:58:05 PM
@MBM You're not even making sense anymore.  You keep on with an opinion that is shared by no one other than Cowboy honks and have a nice night.

Are you confused about face guarding?  NFL, not college.

alfred russel

MBM, whether there was OPI or an offensive face mask, I don't think that should get called, I think almost everyone outside texas would agree, but that isn't the point.

They called defensive pass interference. If someone saw OPI or offensive face mask, the solution isn't to waive off defensive pass interference. It is to call the offensive penalty.

BUT..that would have been offsetting penalties, replay the down, and that would have been to Detroit's advantage.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

QuoteActions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver's opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver's arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

The offensive played went back to make a play on an underthrown ball.  Because the defender wasn't playing the ball he had no idea where the ball was so the offensive player's path to the ball was cut off.

EDIT:  https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/551905441685323776

QuoteMike PereiraVerified account
‏@MikePereira
I am out of here. Biggest call was the DPI pickup. It was DPI and it was defensive holding as well. Not good. Flying back to Sac tonight.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: alfred russel on January 04, 2015, 08:01:25 PM
MBM, whether there was OPI or an offensive face mask, I don't think that should get called, I think almost everyone outside texas would agree, but that isn't the point.

They called defensive pass interference. If someone saw OPI or offensive face mask, the solution isn't to waive off defensive pass interference. It is to call the offensive penalty.

BUT..that would have been offsetting penalties, replay the down, and that would have been to Detroit's advantage.

Right.  I don't think they should have announced it in the first place, and shouldn't have thrown a flag at all.  I also don't have a problem with them ending up NOT upholding it in the end, because I'm not thinking they should be handing out DPI calls to receivers who initiate contact by grabbing a facemask.

They should have flagged...I think it was Dez Bryant though when he came out on the field.   

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on January 04, 2015, 08:03:43 PM
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

QuoteActions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver's opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver's arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

(e) Cutting off the path of a receiver by making contact with him without playing the ball.

The offensive played went back to make a play on an underthrown ball.  Because the defender wasn't playing the ball he had no idea where the ball was so the offensive player's path to the ball was cut off.

What's the rule on the receiver grabbing the defender's facemask to initiate contact?

sbr

Incidental facemask grab rule was removed years ago.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on January 04, 2015, 08:06:34 PM
Incidental facemask grab rule was removed years ago.

So you're saying a WR can stick his hand in a defenders facemask to initiate contact, and the defender should get DPI for knocking the hand away?  Makes you wonder why they don't do that more often.

The only reason this is even a thing is because dumbass ref didn't explain himself.  The talking heads noted after the game if it wasn't announced then withdrawn without any explanation, no one would have cared.

E2:  And even with all this pussy whining shit about a call, Detroit still could have won that game, but they fucked it up all on their own.  It's their fucking fault those dbags in Dallas moved on.

sbr

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 04, 2015, 08:10:01 PM
The talking heads noted after the game if it wasn't announced then withdrawn without any explanation, no one would have cared.

After saying it was pass interference.  :huh:  Lots of call are missed so that one being missed wouldn't be a huge deal but they called the right thing then changed it for no reason.

You* are the only person I have seen that thinks that wasn't DPI.  I was listening to the game on the radio and heard that play; both radio guys said it was PI and should not have been picked up.  Then I got home and rewound the Tivo and watched it.  I thought it was PI; Buck and Aikman thought it was PI; Mike Pereira thought it was PI; everyone on the FOX post-game set said it was PI but if it hadn't been called it would not have been a huge issue.

There is no doubt it was DPI and should have been called, at all.

*Well Dorsey too, but I can't think of a person in the entire world whose opinion or understanding of football rules I respect less than his.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on January 04, 2015, 08:20:55 PM
After saying it was pass interference.  :huh:  Lots of call are missed so that one being missed wouldn't be a huge deal but they called the right thing then changed it for no reason.

:huh: Not announced.

QuoteYou* are the only person I have seen that thinks that wasn't DPI.I was listening to the game on the radio and heard that play; both radio guys said it was PI and should not have been picked up.  Then I got home and rewound the Tivo and watched it.  I thought it was PI; Buck and Aikman thought it was PI; Mike Pereira thought it was PI; everyone on the FOX post-game set said it was PI but if it hadn't been called it would not have been a huge issue.

*Well Dorsey too, but I can't think of a person in the entire world whose opinion or understanding of football rules I respect less than his.

You saw a few of them on TV.  They were wearing the ref jumpsuits.  Once again, that call didn't lose the game for Detroit.  Detroit did.  Even if it was DPI, which I don't think it was, missed calls happen all the damn time.  Why all the squealing and crying about this one?  Because it's Dallas?

And you still haven't told me why it's cool for receivers to grab a defender's facemask, then get a flag for DPI when the defender knocks the hand away.

sbr

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 04, 2015, 08:23:54 PM
Quote from: sbr on January 04, 2015, 08:20:55 PM

Not announced.

:huh: What is not announced?

QuoteYou* are the only person I have seen that thinks that wasn't DPI.I was listening to the game on the radio and heard that play; both radio guys said it was PI and should not have been picked up.  Then I got home and rewound the Tivo and watched it.  I thought it was PI; Buck and Aikman thought it was PI; Mike Pereira thought it was PI; everyone on the FOX post-game set said it was PI but if it hadn't been called it would not have been a huge issue.

You saw a few of them on TV.  They were wearing the ref jumpsuits. 

Once again, that call didn't lose the game for Detroit.  Detroit did.

I never said it did lose the game for Detroit, it was a big missed call though.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on January 04, 2015, 08:28:01 PM
:huh: What is not announced?

:huh: It wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't announced and the flag was picked up.  It was announced, then picked up and dude didn't say shit about it.  It became crybaby heaven.

QuoteI never said it did lose the game for Detroit, it was a big missed call though.

Nah, he grabbed the facemask and caused the contact.  But you're entitled to your opinion.  I blame Detroit, not the refs, for this shit.  Blaming the refs sucks.  They're just dudes out there, and they miss some shit.  It could be worse.  See:  replacement refs.

E:  And if that's something Caldwell does a lot like Neil mentioned...well....they deserve everything they get.