Your Favorite Christmas movies and television shows

Started by CountDeMoney, December 23, 2014, 03:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: dps on December 23, 2014, 09:44:50 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 23, 2014, 07:19:51 PM
Ernest Saves Christmas.

Joke or serious?

I liked it ok, but almost entirely because of the old guy who played Santa.  One of the best movie Santas ever.

Partially serious.  When it came out, I was a mild Ernest fan (one of those, wouldn't-admit-it-if-asked kinda fans, as most probably were), and thought the teenage girl was HOTT as balls (keep in mind, I was 12 when it came out  :P ).

Ideologue

I own three Ernest movies, but only on DVD.

I also own the show. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Surprised noone mentioned my favourite Christmas movie/play, Lion in Winter.

Also, Showgirls is set during Christmas, so it counts.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Sophie Scholl

Movies that happen to be set during Christmas:  Rocky IV, The Ref, A Midnight Clear, Die Hard, Eastern Promises, In Bruges, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, and Trading Places.  In terms of more legitimate Christmas movies, I'm a big fan of The Bishop's Wife, the original Miracle on 34th Street, Scrooged, and Love Actually.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Caliga on December 24, 2014, 07:43:58 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 23, 2014, 06:33:06 PM
I just can't take A Chistmas Story anymore. TBS can just shove it.
:yes: :hug:

I've never really "gotten" that movie.  It's not a bad movie, but I've never understood why people think it's great.  I think I may be in exactly the wrong age group--just a bit too young to be personally nostalgic about all the 50s trappings of the movie, but old enough to not have grown up seeing it on TV every Christmas.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

celedhring

The Catalan regional channel has a thing for running the Mr Bean Christmas special every fucking year. I used to love it, but it's got really stale now.

Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favorite films ever, but it tends to get played around Halloween. A personal favorite is The Muppet Christmas Carol  :blush:

Ideologue

Oh, I forgot to mention, I really like Black Christmas.

SHE HAS THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE, DAVE BOWMAN.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

Quote from: dps on December 24, 2014, 05:42:32 PM
I've never really "gotten" that movie.  It's not a bad movie, but I've never understood why people think it's great.  I think I may be in exactly the wrong age group--just a bit too young to be personally nostalgic about all the 50s trappings of the movie, but old enough to not have grown up seeing it on TV every Christmas.
Agree, I don't get it either.  I don't think it's very funny and the kid in it annoys the shit out of me.  For some reason I do like the dad though.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

I stayed up and watched "March of the Wooden Soldiers", originally known as "Babes In Toyland", with my Mom;  it used to be on every Christmas when I was little.  Wonderful little Christmas movie with Laurel and Hardy in Toyland, populated with all the famous children's nursery rhyme characters.  Some compelling bayonet skirmish action in the big fight at the end, as toy soldiers repel an invasion of Bogeymen from Toyland.

It's on Hulu for interested mutts.