Your Favorite Christmas movies and television shows

Started by CountDeMoney, December 23, 2014, 03:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

My favorite Christmas movies/TV shows:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation:  "You know that metal plate in my head? I had to have it replaced, cause every time Catherine revved up the microwave I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for a half hour or so."

Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: The Island of Misfit Toys used to choke me up as a child.  :cry:  And Burl Ives rocks, even though none of you snot-nosed little shits know who the fuck he is these days.  Still the best of the Rankin/Bass productions*, and yeah I went there.  Fuck the Heat Mizer.

A Christmas Story: Department store Santa putting the boot to Ralphie's face still makes me laugh my ass off.

The two HBO would always show back to back in the late '70s/early 1980's--
Rich Little's A Christmas Carol: Playing all the roles himself, although most of you Millennial mutts wouldn't know half of them anyway.  But where else are you going to see Richard Nixon as Jacob Marley, weighed down by reels of audio tape?  :lol:
YouTube has it chopped up in parts, but here's Part 1, complete with Generation CdM/Ed Anger's HBO commercials and intro: http://youtu.be/Ksw0dqLICQQ

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas: Proof that even The Gift of the Magi could be done by Muppets, with a cool, folksy original Paul Williams soundtrack and delightful set work.  You anime tards get off your cartoon asses, and watch what real artists can do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeG499fHctw

Prep & Landing:  Christmas in the militarized post-9/11, special operators/Seal Team Six world, and a reference to Elf cunnilingus that everybody missed.

My all-time fave:
The Christmas That Almost Wasn't:  Behind on his rent, Santa Claus is facing foreclosure at the North Pole by his landlord, Minsky Moment, and has to take a shitty entry-level, service industry job as a department store Santa (seasonal temp, no less) to get the money;  Minsky wants to foreclose anyway since he hates Christmas and wants it destroyed, as it turns out his letter to Santa as a child was lost in the mail, which would never have happened if postal delivery was 100% privatized.  Soundtrack by the incomparable Glenn Yarborough, it's on Netflix.

*Their Little Drummer Boy gets an honorable mention, even though they don't show it anymore on network TV to placate the godless liberal heathens.

What are yours?  Somebody speak up for Scrooged.

Liep

BoJack Horseman's Christmas Special was pretty good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

HVC

A Christmas Carol. Alastair Sim version. I've watched it every Christmas since I was 6 or 7
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

CountDeMoney

Grey Fox

They are not christmas theme but here Tele-Quebec has something they call Cine-Cadeau where they show kids movies for the vacations. My favorites are the Asterix cartoon movies.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 23, 2014, 04:02:18 PM
They are not christmas theme but here Tele-Quebec has something they call Cine-Cadeau where they show kids movies for the vacations. My favorites are the Asterix cartoon movies.

Quebec shows movies about a pagan Gaul? Sounds about right. :(
Kinemalogue

dps

The animated version of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" if only for the narration.

mongers

Most of the British ones are long gone along with their comedic stars. 

I know virtually ever show now seems to have a Xmas special, but with fragmented viewing habits, there doesn't seem to be any stand out, big ticket show that 'everyone' will talk about afterwards. I guess that was just a feature of the 'golden age of television'.

Maybe some channel should show 'The Great Escape' for a fair few years, for some reason that was standard British Xmas entertainment.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

We always end up watching a Royle Family Christmas special.
Let's bomb Russia!