Started by Queequeg, December 21, 2014, 06:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 21, 2014, 11:23:33 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 21, 2014, 10:10:00 PM
Obviously the vices we seen in more modern politicians (outside the really off-the-reservation Hitlers/Stalins/Mao's) will be panty-waist stuff compared to the feudal, classical types.

We could only wish we had an LBJ in Congress now, berating the fuck out of that little shit Ted Cruz at the urinal, smacking McConnell and Reid like Stooges, driving Rand Paul to the point of tears over his perm, and showing Nancy Pelosi a Monster Cock That Moves Legislation By Its Very Presence.

Yes, in today's terminology, he was a pretty awesome political operator.

I think his heart was in the right place, but he messed up on a couple of issues.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Queequeg

Quote from: The Brain on December 22, 2014, 12:58:37 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 22, 2014, 01:38:47 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 21, 2014, 11:54:37 PM
Charles XII.

You're joking, right?

No. Are you?
He got a ton of Swedes killed and dragged out a campaign he wasn't going to win against an enemy Sweden had no hope of overcoming.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Though I'm surprised that Spellus doesn't gush over him, actually.  He had a very similar personality to Teddy Roosevelt, from what I can tell.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Brezel

The Brain

Quote from: Brezel on December 22, 2014, 01:29:50 PM
Hitler couldn't hurt a fly.

Because he was a vegetarian he is suddenly good people?

Brezel

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on December 22, 2014, 01:21:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on December 22, 2014, 12:58:37 PM
Quote from: Martinus on December 22, 2014, 01:38:47 AM
Quote from: The Brain on December 21, 2014, 11:54:37 PM
Charles XII.

You're joking, right?

No. Are you?
He got a ton of Swedes killed and dragged out a campaign he wasn't going to win against an enemy Sweden had no hope of overcoming.

He's as close to "great" as you are going to get in Sweden.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Siege

Is it possible to be great and not be an asshole?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Jacob

Quote from: Siege on December 22, 2014, 04:34:32 PM
Is it possible to be great and not be an asshole?

Not sure, but it's definitely possible to be an asshole and be mediocre.