Main Menu

How Many Great People Are Good People?

Started by Queequeg, December 21, 2014, 06:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on December 21, 2014, 07:46:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 21, 2014, 07:12:04 PM
Sulla

I've often wondered about your... predilection for Sulla.  Is it because he was ruthless or because he had a thing for boys, which he denied most of his life, only to indulge in it when all he set out to do was accomplished?

EDIT: *if* we are to believe McCullough that is...

G.

:secret: He was a novelist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Abraham Lincoln was cunning when he needed to be, but overall a decent fellow I think.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 21, 2014, 08:35:01 PM
Abraham Lincoln was cunning when he needed to be, but overall a decent fellow I think.

Good one.  Doted on his sons, patient with his nut case wife.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2014, 08:38:25 PM

If he is vulnerable anywhere, I suppose those who are unbendable on civil rights would take great issue with his wartime attitude towards habeus corpus and such.

And maybe being too tolerant/detached towards crappy generals.  But then I think he might also be a rare leader who knew that military strategy was not his forte, and tried to leave it the supposed experts as best he could.

DGuller

Barack Obama seems to be a pretty decent bloke.

Razgovory

Compared to Medieval European monarchs, Asiatic step lords, and Middle Eastern Emperors most US presidents are going to look pretty good.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Tonitrus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2014, 08:51:46 PM
Compared to Medieval European monarchs, Asiatic step lords, and Middle Eastern Emperors most US presidents are going to look pretty good.

New Word > Old World  :)

Tonitrus

But seriously, it may be more a matter of time than of place.  The further you go back in history/civilization, the more it seemed necessary to dispense with some moral niceties, or else the plethora of other murderous, power-hungry thugs will just walk/stab all over you.

Also, wasn't Marcus Aurelius supposed to be alright, compared to many Roman emperors?

Razgovory

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 21, 2014, 08:50:16 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2014, 08:38:25 PM

If he is vulnerable anywhere, I suppose those who are unbendable on civil rights would take great issue with his wartime attitude towards habeus corpus and such.

And maybe being too tolerant/detached towards crappy generals.  But then I think he might also be a rare leader who knew that military strategy was not his forte, and tried to leave it the supposed experts as best he could.

I don't know about tolerant or detached toward crappy generals.  He was constantly sending telegrams ordering them to move their asses.  He canned quite a few.  The problem was there was nobody on either side that had experience moving such large armies and very few who even had the academic knowledge of military matters.  Political generals were generally incompetent, but they often carried their weight by bring in volunteers.  It's hard to turn down the services of a congressman who bring with him 2,000 men to fight for the cause.  You fire the popular political general and you run the risk of those soldiers just going home.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grallon on December 21, 2014, 08:09:02 PM
how many of our 'luminaries' here would secretly enjoy to indulge in a killing spree if they had the chance.

I've compiled an extensive and comprehensive list.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 21, 2014, 08:23:32 PM
Quote from: Grallon on December 21, 2014, 07:46:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 21, 2014, 07:12:04 PM
Sulla

I've often wondered about your... predilection for Sulla.  Is it because he was ruthless or because he had a thing for boys, which he denied most of his life, only to indulge in it when all he set out to do was accomplished?

EDIT: *if* we are to believe McCullough that is...

G.

:secret: He was a novelist.

with a vagina... But she gets the scoop from Plutarch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: DGuller on December 21, 2014, 08:51:40 PM
Barack Obama seems to be a pretty decent bloke.

Yeah, but the question was how many great people are also good people.  Jimmy Carter is a very good person, but he was really crappy President.  President Obama is the same, I think, though not as extreme as Carter.  And least anyone think I'm just being partisan here, I'd say the same about Gerald Ford, and to a lesser extent, both Bushes.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 21, 2014, 09:14:35 PM
I better top that list.

You're in the "Douchebags most likely to be in a Lexus Christmas Commercial" subcategory.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on December 21, 2014, 09:30:46 PM
Jimmy Carter is a very good person, but he was really crappy President.

History will determine whether or not he was really crappy, thank you.  :mad: