News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Many Great People Are Good People?

Started by Queequeg, December 21, 2014, 06:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I was thinking about this while listening to a book on religious violence. 

I think the only figure that springs immediately to mind is Cyrus the Great.  A lot of my favorite people in history-Teddy Roosevelt, Peter I-end up murdering their sons somehow. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Scipio

Cyrus is pretty decent. Alexander Nevsky. Alfred the Great. Macbeth, maybe. William III of England is disqualified for the Dutch revolt; Tokugawa is disqualified because, well, you know... Emperor Meiji, maybe? Sun Yat Sen. Haile Selassie? Alexander I of Russia (unless you believe he is a regicide). St. Sava of Serbia. Cincinnatus. Themistocles. Marcus Brutus (the founder, not the murderer of Caesar). Gaius Gracchus. Tiberius Gracchus. Cicero. George Washington. John Adams. Jonathan Edwards. The Wesleys. William Wilberforce. William Pitt the Younger.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Scipio

And of course, Vincent Thomas Lombardi, John Carroll, and George VI of England.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

MadImmortalMan

What makes someone good is a tough definition for me. I'm not sure.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Tamerlane. He was willing to make the tough decisions.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

mongers

Hard to say as I've yet to decide if I'm great or just good.  :smoke:

:P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

I am presuming by "good" he is meaning a decent bloke, as opposed to a raging asshole.  :P

alfred russel

A lot of the guys Spellus and Scipio are mentioning (Cyrus and Alfred the Great) may benefit from the fact we don't get the full stereo perspective on their actions.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

A lot of people who were declared saints were probably not so bad, though I imagine Viking would disagree.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 21, 2014, 07:12:04 PM
Sulla

I've often wondered about your... predilection for Sulla.  Is it because he was ruthless or because he had a thing for boys, which he denied most of his life, only to indulge in it when all he set out to do was accomplished?

EDIT: *if* we are to believe McCullough that is...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grallon on December 21, 2014, 07:46:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on December 21, 2014, 07:12:04 PM
Sulla

I've often wondered about your... predilection for Sulla.  Is it because he was ruthless or because he had a thing for boys, which he denied most of his life, only to indulge in it when all he set out to do was accomplished?

EDIT: *if* we are to believe McCullough that is...

G.

Killing people. Plus it annoys certain folks on the interwebs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Solmyr

Quote from: Scipio on December 21, 2014, 06:58:43 PM
Alexander Nevsky.

What makes him especially good? Assuming you ignore the mostly fictional Eisenstein version, he was pretty similar to the other Rus princes at the time.

Grallon

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 21, 2014, 07:54:43 PM

Killing people. Plus it annoys certain folks on the interwebs.

That would be an interesting survey no doubt; how many of our 'luminaries' here would secretly enjoy to indulge in a killing spree if they had the chance.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel