News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most famous brand per U.S. state

Started by Syt, December 19, 2014, 08:25:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 19, 2014, 09:20:27 AM
Someone in the comments said Delaware is Dupont. Doesn't seem like anyone is sure of what RI is.
It looks like Hasbro to me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Interesting that all three West Coast companies are all icon only brand logos, those are perhaps the most globally recognised ones (ignoring McDonalds, which isn't on the map) and there's only one other none name derived on the map.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on December 19, 2014, 09:34:20 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 19, 2014, 09:20:27 AM
Someone in the comments said Delaware is Dupont. Doesn't seem like anyone is sure of what RI is.
It looks like Hasbro to me.

http://steve-lovelace.com/the-corporate-states-of-america/

The List :
  • Alabama   Saks   The modern Saks descends from a company called Proffitt's, founded in Birmhingham in 1919.
    Alaska   Carrs   Now part of Safeway, Carr's was founded in Anchorage in 1950.
    Arizona   Best Western   Best Western is headquarted in Phoenix.
    Arkansas   Walmart   Walmart is based out of Bentonville.
    California   Apple   Apple is headquartered in Cupertino, in the heart of Silicon Valley.
    Colorado   Coors   Now part of Molson Coors, Coors was founded in Golden in 1873.
    Connecticut   GE   Founded in Schenectady, New York, GE is now headquarted in Fairfield.
    Delaware   DuPont   E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company was founded in Eleutherian Mills in 1802.
    District of Columbia   C-SPAN   C-SPAN is based out of Washington.
    Florida   Hooters   Hooters started in Clearwater in 1983.
    Georgia   Coca-Cola   Coca-Cola is based out of Atlanta.
    Hawaii   Hawaiian Airlines   Founded as Inter-Island Airways in 1929, Hawaiian Airlines is based out of Honolulu.
    Idaho   Albertsons   Albertson's started in Boise in 1939. The modern company, started in 2006, is still based there.
    Illinois   CAT   Caterpillar has been based out of Peoria since 1910.
    Indiana   Cummins   The Cummins Engine Company started in Columbus in 1919.
    Iowa   Maytag   Now part of Whirlpool, Maytag was founded in Newton in 1893.
    Kansas   Garmin   Garmin started in Lenexa in 1989.
    Kentucky   Lexmark   Spun off from IBM in 1991, Lexmark is based out of Lexington.
    Louisiana   Tabasco   The McIlhenny Company, maker of Tabasco Sauce, is based out of Avery Island.
    Maine   L.L.Bean   L.L.Bean was started in Freeport in 1912. It is still based there.
    Maryland   GEICO   The Government Employees Insurance Company is based out of Chevy Chase.
    Massachusetts   Gillette   Now part of Proctor and Gamble, Gillette was founded in Boston in 1901.
    Michigan   GM   General Motors is based out of Detroit.
    Minnesota   Pillsbury   Today owned by General Mills, Pillsbury was founded in Minneapolis in 1872.
    Mississippi   Peavey   Peavey Electronics is based out of Meridian.
    Missouri   Anheuser-Busch   Now part of AB InBev, Anheuser-Busch was founded in Saint Louis in 1852.
    Montana   Great Harvest Bread Company   Great Harvest Bread Company was founded in Great Falls in 1976.
    Nebraska   Cabela's   Cabela's is based out of Sidney.
    Nevada   Zappos   Today part of Amazon.com, Zappos is based out of Henderson.
    New Hampshire   Timberland   The Timberland Company is headquartered in Stratham.
    New Jersey   Campbell's   Campbell's is based out of Camden.
    New Mexico   Allsup's   Allsup's was founded in Roswell in 1956.
    New York   Verizon   Today based out of Manhattan, Verizon is the descendent of several Baby Bells.
    North Carolina   Bank of America   Bank of America is currently based out of Charlotte.
    North Dakota   Bobcat   Now part of the Doosan Group, Bobcat is based out of West Fargo.
    Ohio   Wendy's   Wendy's was founded in Columbus in 1969.
    Oklahoma   Sonic   Sonic is based out of Oklahoma City.
    Oregon   Nike   Nike is headquarted in Beaverton.
    Pennsylvania   Hershey's   The Hershey Company is based out of Pennsylvania, in a town called Hershey.
    Rhode Island   Hasbro   Hassenfeld Brothers was founded in Providence in 1923. Today, Hasbro is based in Pawtucket.
    South Carolina   Denny's   Denny's is based out of Spartanburg.
    South Dakota   Super 8   Super 8 opened its first motel in Aberdeen in 1974.
    Tennessee   FedEx   FedEx is headquartered in Memphis.
    Texas    Dr Pepper   Now part of Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885.
    Utah   Sinclair   Sinclair Oil Corporation is based out of Salt Lake City.
    Vermont   Ben & Jerry's   Now part of Unilever, Ben & Jerry's was started in Burlington in 1978.
    Virginia   AOL   AOL was founded in Vienna in 1991.
    Washington   Starbucks   The first Starbucks opened in Seattle in 1971.
    West Virginia   Gino's   Gino's Pizza and Spaghetti was founded in Huntington in 1961.
    Wisconsin   Harley-Davidson   Harley-Davidson was founded in Milwaukee in 1903.
    Wyoming   Taco John's   Taco John's is based out of Cheyenne.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Zanza

Quote from: mongers on December 19, 2014, 09:36:16 AM
Interesting that all three West Coast companies are all icon only brand logos, those are perhaps the most globally recognised ones (ignoring McDonalds, which isn't on the map) and there's only one other none name derived on the map.
McDonald's is from California. It's hard to say whether they are even more famous than Apple. I guess you could make that argument as it is McDonald's, not Apple that is the very symbol of American capitalism.

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on December 19, 2014, 09:38:07 AM
me = genius. :cool:

I think this is something the vast majority of Languishites will argue the case for.

Caliga

Quote from: Zanza on December 19, 2014, 09:41:09 AM
Quote from: mongers on December 19, 2014, 09:36:16 AM
McDonald's is from California. It's hard to say whether they are even more famous than Apple. I guess you could make that argument as it is McDonald's, not Apple that is the very symbol of American capitalism.
McDonald's is based in Illinois though, and I would argue it should probably represent Illinois instead of Caterpillar.

Zanza

Caterpillar is a well-known brand, but it's hardly the same league as McDonald's.

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on December 19, 2014, 09:47:28 AM
Caterpillar is a well-known brand, but it's hardly the same league as McDonald's.

Indeed, but I bet Caterpillar was more famous up until the 1970s.

Because I'm a bit older I recognised Cummins, I think there is or was a large British subsiduary too. And I guess it was a very well know global brand 50-70 years ago, but now I think not many Euros would recognise it.

Martinus

The ones I know:

Arkansas   Walmart   Walmart is based out of Bentonville.
California   Apple   Apple is headquartered in Cupertino, in the heart of Silicon Valley.
Colorado   Coors   Now part of Molson Coors, Coors was founded in Golden in 1873.
Connecticut   GE   Founded in Schenectady, New York, GE is now headquarted in Fairfield.
Delaware   DuPont   E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company was founded in Eleutherian Mills in 1802.
District of Columbia   C-SPAN   C-SPAN is based out of Washington.
Florida   Hooters   Hooters started in Clearwater in 1983.
Georgia   Coca-Cola   Coca-Cola is based out of Atlanta.
Kentucky   Lexmark   Spun off from IBM in 1991, Lexmark is based out of Lexington.
Louisiana   Tabasco   The McIlhenny Company, maker of Tabasco Sauce, is based out of Avery Island.
Maryland   GEICO   The Government Employees Insurance Company is based out of Chevy Chase.
Massachusetts   Gillette   Now part of Proctor and Gamble, Gillette was founded in Boston in 1901.
Michigan   GM   General Motors is based out of Detroit.
New Hampshire   Timberland   The Timberland Company is headquartered in Stratham.
New Jersey   Campbell's   Campbell's is based out of Camden.
New York   Verizon   Today based out of Manhattan, Verizon is the descendent of several Baby Bells.
North Carolina   Bank of America   Bank of America is currently based out of Charlotte.
Ohio   Wendy's   Wendy's was founded in Columbus in 1969.
Oregon   Nike   Nike is headquarted in Beaverton.
Pennsylvania   Hershey's   The Hershey Company is based out of Pennsylvania, in a town called Hershey.
Rhode Island   Hasbro   Hassenfeld Brothers was founded in Providence in 1923. Today, Hasbro is based in Pawtucket.
Tennessee   FedEx   FedEx is headquartered in Memphis.
Texas    Dr Pepper   Now part of Dr Pepper Snapple Group, Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885.
Vermont   Ben & Jerry's   Now part of Unilever, Ben & Jerry's was started in Burlington in 1978.
Virginia   AOL   AOL was founded in Vienna in 1991.
Washington   Starbucks   The first Starbucks opened in Seattle in 1971.
Wisconsin   Harley-Davidson   Harley-Davidson was founded in Milwaukee in 1903.

I didn't realise that Tabasco is a brand.

Martinus

I wonder what the most famous Polish brand is. :unsure:

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.