News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ayn Rand reviews Children's movies

Started by Ed Anger, December 18, 2014, 07:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 20, 2014, 06:59:00 AM
The songs are what make or break a Disney film.

That film being Fantasia. The rest would be fine(or at least, only as bad as they are now) without any songs.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Songs ruin disney films. They're bits crudely inserted to open up the music revenue stream and stretch out the length of the film a bit more.
The best disney films are those which are light on music.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

I'm not sure about that. Lion King or Aladdin would be less memorable without their signature songs. They are animated musicals. They aren't any more cynical money grabbing exercises than a regular musical is.

Eddie Teach

Aladdin could fill the gaps with more Williams and Gottfried.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on December 20, 2014, 08:40:04 AM
I'm not sure about that. Lion King or Aladdin would be less memorable without their signature songs. They are animated musicals. They aren't any more cynical money grabbing exercises than a regular musical is.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

garbon

Tale As Old As Time :wub:
Whistle While You Work :wub:
Kiss The Girl :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

But they are American.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Norgy

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2014, 04:14:42 PM

But they are American.

So are you, and I'm not sure it's really helped you.

Razgovory

Quote from: Norgy on December 20, 2014, 05:57:21 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2014, 04:14:42 PM

But they are American.

So are you, and I'm not sure it's really helped you.

Tyr displays contempt for Everything American.  I'm not sure he even realizes it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 20, 2014, 11:01:18 AM
The songs in Jungle Book are great.

Agreed, but it would still be a good movie with just the story.

Josquius

QuoteTyr displays contempt for Everything American.  I'm not sure he even realizes it.
Pixies, firefly, Hendrix, Star Wars, Tarantino, die hard, etc...

The only one in lion king that really contributes is the growing up montage.
Aladdin... Prinnce Ali is a cool song and does demonstrate his wish and the party mood of being a prince entering the town quite well. A whole new world however goes on way too long and is an unnecessary lull in the story
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on December 21, 2014, 02:44:24 AM
QuoteTyr displays contempt for Everything American.  I'm not sure he even realizes it.
Pixies, firefly, Hendrix, Star Wars, Tarantino, die hard, etc...

Monster.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 20, 2014, 08:31:59 PM

It would also be 30 minutes long. :P

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 21, 2014, 03:10:23 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 20, 2014, 08:31:59 PM

It would also be 30 minutes long. :P

That's the thing really with the Disney movies, isn't it? :P I don't mind the musical numbers if they fit the story and explore the characters' motivations and feelings, or the mood of the scene, or an important concept of the story.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.