News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

So, is this rape?

Started by Martinus, December 18, 2014, 03:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on December 18, 2014, 09:32:36 AM
She was certainly sexually assaulted.  Whether the midget raped her depends on his mindset, not hers.  If he thought she was willingly engaging in sex with him, he wasn't raping her.  If he engaged in sex with her knowing that she hadn't consented to sex with him, then he did rape her.  I don't think that there can be a rape victim without a rape perpetrator, though I may be legally wrong on that.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear on that point. The way he told the story, he was in on the "joke". Of course I agree with you - if he, himself, had been the butt of the "prank", then clearly he would have lacked the mens rea.

Edit: although I wonder if that was actually the case, the party who orchestrated the "prank" wouldnt have been guilty. But I guess it depends on the exact language of the relevant rape statute. The Polish law I mentioned before could find Mencia guilty - as it does not require that it is the perp with whom the victim has sex.

garbon

She was certainly sexually assaulted.  Whether the midget raped her depends on his mindset, not hers.  If he thought she was willingly engaging in sex with him, he wasn't raping her.  If he engaged in sex with her knowing that she hadn't consented to sex with him, then he did rape her.  I don't think that there can be a rape victim without a rape perpetrator, though I may be legally wrong on that.

:huh:

Rape isn't contingent on the doer thinking he was a doer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on December 18, 2014, 09:34:32 AM

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear on that point. The way he told the story, he was in on the "joke". Of course I agree with you - if he, himself, had been the butt of the "prank", then clearly he would have lacked the mens rea.

That point clarified, I agree with you.  Will wonders never cease?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on December 18, 2014, 09:34:49 AM

The doer's liability clearly is, though. What the perp is thinking is at the core of the concept of mens rea, which is required for most crimes.

MadBurgerMaker

grumbler

I have no idea what "doer" means under the law, so I am not sure what idea this comment is supposed to be conveying.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

And before CC calls me a shitty lawyer again, I am of course simplifying it - you could, for example, establish the existence of mens rea even if the perp does not think what he is doing fulfills criteria of a crime - as long as that belief is unreasonable.

Also, this is not the same as not knowing something is illegal - we are talking here about a mistaken understanding of facts, not law.

Sheilbh

It does depend. In England at least rape is contingent on the doer not reasonably believing that the victim consents.

If they reasonably believe that the sex is consensual then they've not committed rape.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 18, 2014, 09:41:49 AM

It does depend. In England at least rape is contingent on the doer not reasonably believing that the victim consents.

If they reasonably believe that the sex is consensual then they've not committed rape.

Interesting. Obviously this isn't from a legal side, but from many of the incidents here, there seems to often be the accused rapist claiming they thought it was consensual.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

If I'm led to believe that I'll have sex with Scarlett Johansson and I realize half way through that I'm actually in bed with Nancy Pelosi, you bet I'll call it rape.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2014, 09:43:53 AM
If I'm led to believe that I'll have sex with Scarlett Johansson and I realize half way through that I'm actually in bed with Nancy Pelosi, you bet I'll call it rape.

What if, instead of Scarlett Johanson, it turns out to be Woody Allen?

Caliga

Quote from: Syt on December 18, 2014, 09:43:53 AM
Nancy seems like she'd be fun.  I'd roll with it, personally.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on December 18, 2014, 09:19:28 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on December 18, 2014, 07:17:51 AM
Yeah; which is probably in part why almost all the states have either repealed their rape laws in favor of sexual assault laws, or amended their rape laws to cover sexual assault.

I guess it is a fair point, but I would say likewise that in casual modern language "rape" is often used to describe any sexual assault which actually involves vaginal, anal or oral penetration.

In Norway, rape is generally under-reported. Mostly because people get drunk, end up getting shagged without really consenting and wonder WTF the morning after. Typically, young women don't report this, even if it is rape by the definition of the law.

Lack of explicit consent equals rape. End of.

garbon

Quote from: Norgy on December 18, 2014, 09:55:15 AM
Lack of explicit consent equals rape. End of.

I don't think I would agree with this. It seems like the only truly explicit consent would be saying "Yes, let's have sex now" which is not something that at least I, have seen happen a lot (-_-).

Norgy

Explicit consent could be non-verbal.  :blush: